Modified Pano Smart Shot - Sphere

Reaction score
I modified the python code (pano.py) which controls the Pano Smart Shot Sphere for creating 360x180 degree panoramas. In a nutshell, I added more angles and more shots. This code change was inspired by @NickHobgood and his fantastic 360x180 panoramas. I'm too lazy to take the shots manually so I made a code change to my liking. :)

Just like DronePan for Solo, the modified code will take 19 photos. 6 photos at each of the gimbal angles 0, -30, -60 and then one final nadir shot at -90 degrees. If the lens FOV is less than 140, it will take 25 photos instead. 8 photos at each of the gimbal angles 0, -30, -60 and then one final nadir shot at -90 degrees.

I can give more detailed instructions if there is interest but for the savvy tech folks:
1. Using Filezilla or WinSCP, rename pano.py in /usr/bin to pano.py.bak on Solo (10.1.1.10) for safe keeping.
2. Rename pano.py.txt to pano.py and copy to /usr/bin. Solo will compile pano.py and create pano.pyc.
3. Go fly.

During testing, it took about 1.5 minutes for 19 shots and around 2 minutes for 21 shots. My GoPro 4 Black was set at 7MP Medium.

Attachments

• pano.py.txt
    16.1 KB · Views: 44
I modified the python code (pano.py) which controls the Pano Smart Shot Sphere for creating 360x180 degree panoramas. In a nutshell, I added more angles and more shots. This code change was inspired by @NickHobgood and his fantastic 360x180 panoramas. I'm too lazy to take the shots manually so I made a code change to my liking. :)

Just like DronePan for Solo, the modified code will take 19 photos. 6 photos at each of the gimbal angles 0, -30, -60 and then one final nadir shot at -90 degrees. If the lens FOV is less than 140, it will take 25 photos instead. 8 photos at each of the gimbal angles 0, -30, -60 and then one final nadir shot at -90 degrees.

I can give more detailed instructions if there is interest but for the savvy tech folks:
1. Using Filezilla or WinSCP, rename pano.py in /usr/bin to pano.py.bak on Solo (10.1.1.10) for safe keeping.
2. Rename pano.py.txt to pano.py and copy to /usr/bin. Solo will compile pano.py and create pano.pyc.
3. Go fly.

During testing, it took about 1.5 minutes for 19 shots and around 2 minutes for 21 shots. My GoPro 4 Black was set at 7MP Medium.

Have you tried it out yet and if so, what was the result?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have you tried it out yet and if so, what was the result?

Yep, works great. Instead of taking 11 shots (or 15 if FOV < 140) it takes 19 or 25 respectively.

You still have to deal with the hole in the sky and processing and rendering takes a bit longer, but output is fantastic.

Yep, works great. Instead of taking 11 shots (or 15 if FOV < 140) it takes 19 or 25 respectively.

You still have to deal with the hole in the sky and processing and rendering takes a bit longer, but output is fantastic.

I have to play with it before I change it. I tried to take a pano sphere and it didn't turn out right. Maybe I didn't know what I was looking at or how to stitch it when I downloaded to photos. I just have to play with it more.

I've also installed your new pano file. thanks for sharing the info. Haven't had a chance to try it out due to weather though

Reactions: carpy
Carpy...what software r u using for stitching together in post prod.

I will try your change this morning here in San Diego for a sunrise at Lake Murray

(Maybe be a stupid question )

Also, when entering Pano in Smart Shots, do I have to manually change from video to photo ...or does the GoPro automatically switch from video to photo when press the pano icon.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: carpy
Your sphererical pano shot modification worked great.....now I just have to figure out what software to use to stitch together....

Last edited:
Your sphererical pano shot modification worked great.....now I just have to figure out what software to use to stitch together....

I use Kolor Autopano Giga but Hugin works well too.

It is supposed to switch from video to photo, however, it doesn't always do that correctly (never has). It's possible the 3DR guys got rushed and never had a chance to fix--it's on my ToDo list.

3. Go fly.

Carpy,

Can you do a more detailed instruction on how to do the change? Hopefully it's nice out this weekend and I can give it a shot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Carpy,

Can you do a more detailed instruction on how to do the change? Hopefully it's nice out this weekend and I can give it a shot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1. Download pano.py.txt from first post and rename to pano.py.
2. Download and install FileZilla or WinSCP.
3. Turn on Solo and Controller.
4. Connect to Solo's WiFi network from your computer (similar to how you would connect your phone to it via the app).
5. Launch FileZilla or WinSCP and connect to Solo using it's IP address '10.1.1.10' for the Host and 'root' for the Username and 'TjSDBkAu' for the Password. Use Port 22.
6. Using FileZilla/WinSCP, navigate to /usr/bin on Solo. Find and rename pano.py to pano.py.prev.
7. Copy/transfer the pano.py file you downloaded to /usr/bin.
8. Disconnect FileZilla/WinSCP.

Enjoy!

1. Download pano.py.txt from first post and rename to pano.py.
2. Download and install FileZilla or WinSCP.
3. Turn on Solo and Controller.
4. Connect to Solo's WiFi network from your computer (similar to how you would connect your phone to it via the app).
5. Launch FileZilla or WinSCP and connect to Solo using it's IP address '10.1.1.10' for the Host and 'root' for the Username and 'TjSDBkAu' for the Password. Use Port 22.
6. Using FileZilla/WinSCP, navigate to /usr/bin on Solo. Find and rename pano.py to pano.py.prev.
7. Copy/transfer the pano.py file you downloaded to /usr/bin.
8. Disconnect FileZilla/WinSCP.

Enjoy!

I'm renaming the one file to prev in case I want to revert and get rid of the new file? Just want to make sure. Thanks again.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc