Minor Range Extension

Reaction score
Hi all. So i just bought a stock standard 3dr solo and im very happy. I want a cheap way to extend the range of my solo without spending too much or making major modifications. I know there are lots of after market options that cost in excess of $100 US but im wondering if there is a cheap option that people are using?

Reactions: Solo Keith
Hi all. So i just bought a stock standard 3dr solo and im very happy. I want a cheap way to extend the range of my solo without spending too much or making major modifications. I know there are lots of after market options that cost in excess of $100 US but im wondering if there is a cheap option that people are using?
Welcome to the SOLO world @Marty333. You can get the ALFA paddle antennae on Amazon for $20. They should get you twice the range if not more. Even Colin Quinn uses em. Have fun & be safe. Peace

So im struggling to locate these antenna in Australia. I did however find this one which will give me a 9db boost. Anyone have and thoughts on these? Would flying with these void the solos warranty?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-03-30-22-04-11.png
    Screenshot_2016-03-30-22-04-11.png
    254 KB · Views: 27
ALFA antenna are ok. You will get marginal gains depending on where you fly. I recommend going with the DBS setup for $80. I have both and the DBS is far superior to the ALFA setup. Compatible to FPVLR from what I have read.

ALFA antenna are ok. You will get marginal gains depending on where you fly. I recommend going with the DBS setup for $80. I have both and the DBS is far superior to the ALFA setup. Compatible to FPVLR from what I have read.
How's the DBS antenna working for you ? Did you have to modify your radio ?
I'm going to attempt to extend range with one Alpha antennea and one stock antenna.
I think the coverage pattern would be better than two Alpha antenna.

What range are you getting with the DBS ? It's highly directional, right ?

How's the DBS antenna working for you ? Did you have to modify your radio ?
I'm going to attempt to extend range with one Alpha antennea and one stock antenna.
I think the coverage pattern would be better than two Alpha antenna.

What range are you getting with the DBS ? It's highly directional, right ?

Using two different antennas to try and increase range isn't going to help much. Since Solo is using MIMO, whichever antenna has the weakest link will be the limiting factor.
Using two Alfas is the easiest solution. Although they are directional, their gain isn't terribly high so even flying behind/beside the main beam will give you reasonable range.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig