M8N GPS Bestar BN-880 setup

The 2 other connections don't go anywhere on the GPS board, the 3V3 testpoint on the GPS board is just that, a test point for the 3.3v LDO which supplies the u-blox. 5V comes from the Solo, goes to the 3.3V LDO.
On the Solo I can't find any connections to the 2 Mystery wires in the cable (orange & blue)
In the attached photo of the gps connector you can see that the 3V3 testpoint trace goes by the connector and the 5V trace goes to pin 1.
Hmm- maybe they are for future expansion or to accommodate a different board they were considering?

I don't know but thanks for the info!

I don't know if it will be accurate but I'm not sure it matters. Solo won't go into FLY mode on startup until HDOP is below 2.0 (generally).
While flying, I've never seen it get higher.

I did the upgrade recently and get faster lock and more satellites- generally 20, so I think it is worth it.

So, if the HDOP number is not accurate, does that affect the accuracy or flying ability of Solo?
I did the upgrade to m8n recently. But it seems my solo become harder to lock at gps. I got max 7 sat. What possibly i do wrong? The cable, the position?

Check and make sure you put the shielding back correctly and nothing is touching the board
Agree with that! Also make sure the ferrite ring didn't come off the cabling when soldering the new connector on.

I don't know how important it is, but it must be there for a reason.

Agree with that! Also make sure the ferrite ring didn't come off the cabling when soldering the new connector on.

I don't know how important it is, but it must be there for a reason.

That's there to prevent noise from coupling into the module through the wires.

Reactions: Maddog
I don't know anything about the Bestar. I bought the M8N at www.readytoflyquads.com and installed it.

It gets satellite lock faster than stock and I get more satellites than I did with the stock GPS.

I flew late in the day yesterday and had 20 sats with HDOP of 1.2.
Did you get the "Ready to Flyer/APM 2.5,2.6.2.7 Cable" version or other, and was it plug and play so far as the connections went and programming?

Mini uBlox M8N GPS GLONASS W/ (35x35mm) Mounting backplane and Compass V2

Are you still happy with it?

That's what I was thinking, however it appears to be out of stock. I think his is a true plug and play solution at mRo with the addition of a nicer antenna as well. Thanks for the reply. I appreciate it. My GPS performance is fine normally, however I tend to loose signal easily near trees ( in winter), and I have found the Solo going to Fly manual whenever I am doing high speed maneuvers, The second part may have nothing to do with it, but I wondered if GPS lock would have an impact. In reality I suspect Fly mode is not correct for whipping the Solo around with rotation and speed set to fastest. I'm am still learning to be certain.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc