Data flash logs are better..

Had a look:

• Your GPS count dropped from 10 to 8 (HDOP >1) placing it into fail-safe mode; this can cause very erratic flying when its trying to correct its position. (I've had this happen to me and quickly switched to manual mode to correct it)
  • The log does seem to indicate significant mechanical failure (which may have caused the above); the YAW/ROLL/PITCH are all completely asynchronous to what the autopilot was trying to achieve. For about 8 secs, Pitch and ROLL are completely flat-lined. This is impossible during flight.

The log indicates to me there was an internal failure with PIXHAWX; for some reason it just stopped working for 8 secs causing a catastrophic crash but this could result of motor failure providing no feedback... It may have been possible to have saved the Bird using manual mode (if you were quick enough) but this isn't expected of pilots flying Solo.

Thanks heaps for this; I don't think I would have been able to solve that one easily.
Do you know if there is additional log information for the PIXHAWK that might explain why this occurred?

Thanks heaps for this; I don't think I would have been able to solve that one easily.
Do you know if there is additional log information for the PIXHAWK that might explain why this occurred?

I'm not sure if Solo separate PIXHAWX data into different files on Solo, all i know is all the data that is necessary to diagnose a problem is in the data-flash logs, which includes data from PIXHAWX, IMU, GPS, Compass etc. There are over 200 parameters recorded in this one file.

I'm not sure if Solo separate PIXHAWX data into different files on Solo, all i know is all the data that is necessary to diagnose a problem is in the data-flash logs, which includes data from PIXHAWX, IMU, GPS, Compass etc. There are over 200 parameters recorded in this one file.

Fair enough. Thank you for your help.

OK,
  • Motors seem to respond as expected; there was no motor failure
  • At no point do I see GPS drop out; you had 14 SATs (HDOP 0.71)
  • Electrical current draw and battery levels are acceptable
  • There are a lot of EKF (Extended Kalman Filter) errors, which may mean erratic messages between compass, GPS and PIXHAWX
  • Bad AHRS (Attitude and Heading Reference System) error appears, which could mean bad calibration
I suspect this crash was the result of compass interference causing mixed messages reaching the PIXHAWX resulting with EKF errors; the compass heading and EKF positions disagree with each other producing problems. You were flying around a lot of houses which can emit electromagnetic interferences which can throw the compass off.

Resistance is futile...

It was fine the day before and in the morning if the autopilot fails to bring my drone home is it my fault even when it had 14 gps locks? I just dont wabt 3dr to say oh you did that well you SOL

No, It had an internal error you could do nothing about. 3dr should see it this way. The fact you were flying around houses shouldn't really matter. The internal mechanisms got confused which caused the crash

Hey guys. I'm a new Solo owner and I had a bad crash today. I submitted a ticket to 3DR to get a replacement. While waiting on their reply I would like to know what happened. Could someone take a look at my DataFlash and Telemetry logs and see what went wrong.

Attachments

• Solo Crash.zip
    3.3 MB · Views: 6
No, It had an internal error you could do nothing about. 3dr should see it this way. The fact you were flying around houses shouldn't really matter. The internal mechanisms got confused which caused the crash
Flying in a bad area could be considered pilot error. I flew between two buildings and lost connection I don't consider that hardware failure

...Could someone take a look at my DataFlash and Telemetry logs and see what went wrong.
Personally... I just hate opening .zip files from an unknown source as they can be set up to run executable files on open (as in viruses). @Cyberblitz may help you though.

Personally... I just hate opening .zip files from an unknown source as they can be set up to run executable files on open (as in viruses). @Cyberblitz may help you though.
I understand, but it wouldn't allow me to post the .bin file.
I may be an idiot too though. lol

Do know if I can post the .bin without putting it into a zip file?

Had a look at the file. APM has upgraded its software to 2.0 so I'm still trying to get used to navigating it. From what i can see, however, is a sudden and abrupt change in position of 25 meters within less than a sec, which can only be explained by a GPS error. Not sure why though; your SAT and HDOP count was good throughout. This lead to the crash overall.

Had a look at the file. APM has upgraded its software to 2.0 so I'm still trying to get used to navigating it. From what i can see, however, is a sudden and abrupt change in position of 25 meters within less than a sec, which can only be explained by a GPS error. Not sure why though; your SAT and HDOP count was good throughout. This lead to the crash overall.
Thanks for your help guys!

...Do know if I can post the .bin without putting it into a zip file?
Change the file extension of .bin or .tlog to .txt before uploading. So that the reviewer knows if it's a bin or tlog, change the file name to something like SoloCrash-bin or SoloCrash-tlog. So... the file name of the file you upload will be (as an example) "SoloCrash-tlog.txt". That way the reviewer will know to save that particular file as a SoloCrash-tlog.tlog and the bin file as SoloCrash-bin.bin

that sounds like a GPS glitch, usually caused by the gps signals bouncing off something and confusing the GPS

Change the file extension of .bin or .tlog to .txt before uploading. So that the reviewer knows if it's a bin or tlog, change the file name to something like SoloCrash-bin or SoloCrash-tlog. So... the file name of the file you upload will be (as an example) "SoloCrash-tlog.txt". That way the reviewer will know to save that particular file as a SoloCrash-tlog.tlog and the bin file as SoloCrash-bin.bin
Gotcha

Howdy folks. My question may be outside the scope of this thread, but at the very least, I could use some help analyzing logs. Please let me know if I should move this to a different place. I'm trying to figure out an issue with my Solo, which I've done some mods to. Since APM Planner 2.0 is significantly different from the documentation (such as Diagnosing problems using Logs — Copter documentation) I'm not sure if some of the errors I'm seeing are real or a software compatibility issue. I know the Solo is behind ardupilot, so maybe that's some of the issue?

Problem
The drone drifts around and won't hold position. Sometimes it'll stay in the same spot, but then I yaw 180 degrees and it starts to slowly wander off in different directions. The obvious culprit seems to be the compass, but I'm struggling to figure out what's going on. When actively controlling the drone, it flies well, but when I let go of the sticks, it doesn't hold its position.

Mods
  • One mod is replacing the stock wifi cards with the MikroTik cards (3DR SOLO Long Range Wifi Card Upgrade (MikroTik)). I've done this on two other solos without any issues, and I don't have issues with the wifi/RC.
  • The other mods were moving the compass and wifi antennas out of the legs (Dumb Legs - Hackster.io). Again, wifi seems fine. My compass is longer than Dan shows in that post, so I had to do things a bit differently (more UHU tack to raise the compass higher in the chamber), but it's still in the same orientation (hole pointing forward and components on the bottom). I have changed the compass orientation to "None 0".
Level and Compass Calibration
  • Level calibration was done indoors on a level bench.
  • Compass calibration has been done inside and outside, in my front yard. Sometimes the compass calibration fails with the solo turning off while I'm rotating. Other times it completes and seems to be happy. A couple of notes:
    • When connected to APM Planner, the heading seems to be off. I'm using my iPhone's compass app to compare (which passes the sniff test, since it lines up with roads that are North/South). APM planner shows the heading off by about 20-30 degrees (it shows N to be a bit NW). I've tried looking up the magnetic declination for my area, and set it. Although I see it changing the radian value of the parameter, I don't see any difference in heading on the Flight Data view. I even changed to some very different declinations and that doesn't seem to affect the view. So, I'm not sure what that means. Maybe it's not using the compass, but the GPS, for that display?
    • I'm not at all confident in my compass calibration strategy. The animation only shows rotating in a couple of directions, but I've been doing this:
      • Start with solo's nose pointing away from me.
      • Rotate a the nose (towards be) a full 360 degrees.
      • "Yaw" the solo about 45 degrees and rotate the same direction.
      • Continue until I've done the same thing every 45 degrees.
      • If I don't have a green check mark yet, I'll keep going around again.
      • This seems to work, but I can't find complete instructions on doing it. Some folks in the forums say to look up the "naza dance" but it's a completely different style of rotation than shown in the Solo animation.
Opening Logs With APM Planner 2.0 (OS X)
When I try to load the logs in APM Planner, I get errors:
  • Loading the tlog files from the controller give errors, but still opens up and lets me look at graphs (though they're strange and I'm not sure they can be trusted):
    Log parsing ended with errors.
    There were data errors / unreadable data in the log! The data is potentially corrupt and incorrect.
    Detected:
    5479 time corruptions
    2016 data corruptions
    • Some of the lines are like this: "Logline 102: Missing type information. Message:M1:ARMMASK:0"
    • Others are like this: "Logline 65917: Log time is not increasing! Last Time:883630 new Time:78452"
  • Loading the BIN files from the drone gives the error "Error preparing insertquery: R10C table R10C has no column named pitch_pwm Unable to execute statement". This then closes the log/graph window and I can't view anything.
Analyzing Logs With dronekit-la
As if that wasn't scary enough, this shows tons of failures on both the tlog and BIN files:
  • Some are flat out crazy, such as "Position Estimate Divergence", which shows a max delta of over 10 million meters.
  • These last logs I've been looking through are me just turning the drone on inside and watching values in APM Planner. So, maybe a little movement as I watch values change, but mostly sitting on the ground. However, maybe that's part of why they're so bad too, since I'm inside, without a good GPS lock. I figured I could at least open the log files and analyze them and see if the compass is happy, but maybe that's a bad assumption and I need to only look at logs from flying outside? I'll test that this afternoon.
So, it's not the worst, since the drone still flies well, but I'd really like to do things like panoramas, which I can't imagine going well with it drifting this much. Also, it would be nice to know that the sensors aren't completely wonky, causing the drone to randomly fly away. I've attached logs from just turning the drone on inside and watching values in APM Planner. I'll go out into a more open field this afternoon and I can attach those logs, or any others.

I'm sorry this was such a huge post, but I'm trying to be clear about what I'm trying to do and what I'm seeing. I'd really appreciate any advice on how to interpret all of this and debug the issue. Thanks!

Attachments

• RECENT-BIN.txt
    1.1 MB · Views: 3
  • solo-tlog.txt
    2.9 MB · Views: 3
Howdy folks. My question may be outside the scope of this thread, but at the very least, I could use some help analyzing logs...
It would take me to the middle of next week to read that post in detail, but I opened the tlog in Mission Planner out of curiosity and the GPS never gets a 3D fix. It did start in Malaysia (where the GPS was manufactured I suppose), ended up somewhere (mostly) inside a home in TX, then went nuts out over the Pacific Ocean, then back to the TX home, finally getting a short flight without GPS. The tlog also had you going through the cals.

Did you replace the GPS module? Without GPS, Solo is going to drift. I'm not the person to make a detailed analysis however. Hopefully, someone else here will look at it.

BTW, you could do a Stick Cal as well. but you have greater problems than that.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
No idea