Just reading this occurs to me

Reaction score
No doubt 2.4 firmware is buggy but can be used by folks who know and have a few hours flying. With the fire sale going on I am guessing we have a flood of new owners and that might explain a lot of the crash reports being blamed on 2.4

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: agd
Minus the firesale buyers that are people from here and the FB groups picking up their 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th solos :). A lot of the people I'm seeing post about problems are not newbies unfortunately. They're people who have had one for a while, updated, and it went bananas.

look at the # of posts and join date of members posting
I don't recall seeing any of the OPs that's posting are actually members newer than 5-6 months suggesting they're familiar with the Solo and 3DR instead of telling us these issues are being addressed are rather occupied with restructuring the company and letting key people go.

Yes, many are new members to the forum. But that doesn't mean they just bought the solo too. The vast majority of drone owners are not on forums and facebook groups. While I'm not keeping a tally, the vast majority of problem threads and posts I've read are from people who have had the solo for a while without issue, updated to 2.4, and are now hosed. Sure, they're new to the forum, but not a brand new owner.

Reactions: Acroduster
I agree that there's something not quite right with 2.4. I keep getting the "Calibrating Sensors" message at just about every bootup, and lots of connection problems with the GoPro that I never had before. GPS and Smart Shots are working fine for me though. On one flight I did experience a loss of signal while not even 300ft away and it went into Rewind mode.

I guess people did not read my first sentence

No doubt 2.4 firmware is buggy

and are not noticing how many threads over the past fiew days start with
First Fligh
New Owner
etc etc

I think I was reading it as the crash was because they're new (pilot error) and totally unrelated to 2.4. If you mean they're new and unable to recover from a 2.4 bug induced malfunction, compared to an experienced pilot that can ham fist it back down to a safe landing, I absolutely agree.

Reactions: pyrate
I'm seeing cross threading of a the same issues over and over. I think we need an "enterprise" only forum. I'm not done with Solo, but I'm getting close to stop contributing here on 3DRPilots.

One user alone has gone through pretty much everything in the book in problems and then ends up crashing into the water. What a DA. You all are being played, just like when Solo was released.

Who here has heard of a true fly away with Solo over the last year? But just recently two and newbs. Nothing in 2.4 has a fly away issue.... F'ing dronies.

Just because someone was a member since Dec. 2015, does not imply that they have their wings or have had their Solo. I became a member in June and got my Solo in Sept.

@Pedals2Paddles I appreciate you asking users to cough up their Tlogs to have a look. Kind of a put up or shut up, clears things up quickly.

I'd venture to bet I'm in the top 10% in flight hours. Resolved the GPS issue and never has been an issue since. Replaced the crappy bearings with new motors and still no issues. You'd think mine would be deep six by now, based on all that is said here....rant over...thanks @pyrate

I'm seeing cross threading of a the same issues over and over. I think we need an "enterprise" only forum...

One user alone has gone through pretty much everything in the book in problems and then ends up crashing into the water. What a DA. You all are being played, just like when Solo was released.

Who here has heard of a true fly away with Solo over the last year? But just recently two and newbs. Nothing in 2.4 has a fly away issue.... F'ing dronies...

...Resolved the GPS issue and never has been an issue since. Replaced the crappy bearings with new motors and still no issues. You'd think mine would be deep six by now, based on all that is said here....rant over... [/USER]
Having a bad day, Rich? :p

I think he is echoing what a lot of us think.
it is hard to have a cohesive discussion for a couple reasons.

One the folks on here that know enough to contribute to any level (not including myself in that group) are constantly ignored when they try to help. Heck the abuse from some of these 1 post wonders is incredible, in many many forums I have been on, some of that behvior would not be tolerated from contributing members much less new people that just jumped on to have an internet tissy fit.

Two the influx of people with an issue that jump on here after a flight or two, never read the manual ever, then cant understand WTF just happened, not to mention the people who have flown it for a year and still dont really understand how they work, muddle the conversation. For example, I lost GPS and then Pause or RTH would not work.
Common people, if pause holds your position in the sky, and home sends solo back to where it took off from how are they supposed to work if GPS is lost?
Cant tell you how many posts I have read where people thing GPS and TX signal are teh same thing.

Then you have a buggy firmware come out, and throw gas on that fire by selling them so cheap any kid getting a decent allowance can go buy one and BOOM
confusion

As Rich pointed out, if you want to keep your long time posters and contributors. Set up some area on the forum you have to earn your way in to.
Knowledge of the product
Experience
Levle of contribution

Something

As much as I despise the FB format for a community, I spend more time over there just because the policing is much better.
We cannot abondoned the noobs, we were all one at some point. But I will not even respond now to threads that start with
  • I am throwing this away
  • 3DR is dyine
  • Time to throw in the towel
  • etc etc
Drama
If you are really done, why come in a users forum and announce it, do you really feel that self important?

OK sorry
My rant is over

I'm a new guy to the forum but have owned my Solo for just over a year now. Never had any flying experience with a drone like this prior to Solo. Had a $60 toy one i could mess with in the house but nothing of this scale.

I think some just think you pay $1,000 and it should fly itself. Even with all the development put into it, these are still complex machines that take time (alot of time) to understand and master.

I fly maybe 2 times a month and find I am constantly learning something new or trying to overcome a misunderstanding I had. Sometimes, it is as simple as you haven't figured out how it works yet.

Sometimes it bugs out and the smart shots don't work quite right. Typically, I shut it down and re-boot and things seem to work again. Like any computer.

Patience.. is... always... the...key

...One,
Two...,
Then...
...Something...
...etc...

...OK sorry
My rant is over
I know, it almost makes me feel bad about having such relatively good luck with the platform... or is it luck. I read this forum before purchasing a Solo, and I downloaded and read the manual before purchasing a Solo, then I followed the instructions and some solutions from knowledgeable members on this forum. I also bought the latest ancillary hardware (H4B, Tab S2) and updated all the FW, SW immediately.

Like other forums I am on, you can soon tell who here knows their stuff, and who are whiners. Of course, since I am such a dinosaur in the electronics and video production fields, about 90% of the read here is over my head - higher than my Solo. Still, if one can take that 10% and use it to better this endeavor, at whatever level they may be, it's worth it.

If I ever do have problems, I hope you will all be kind. :cool: Otherwise I'll just sell my Solo(s) and go fly paper airplanes! :p

Ok I'm going to throw my hat in! This is my 2nd post, but I am not new to this, I've been doing this since the beginning of the Diy. I built my first multi when we were using parts from wii nunchucks. You can't just go to a store and buy and fly. It seem to always end up the same way. lol I also have every form of autopilot that 3dr has made. I don't post a lot, just when I have something to say. These people need to learn there machines.

HELP I OPENED UP THE BOX AND MY DRONE HAS FLOWN AWAY!!!

Just for the fun of it, I clicked on the Yuneec pilots forum and in 9 seconds came across threads of fly-a-ways, firmware issues and camera problems.

The grass is rarely greener.

Do the work people! And for god's sake, get off my lawn!!! :)

Reactions: bjswx and Joe Horn
Ok I'm going to throw my hat in! This is my 2nd post, but I am not new to this, I've been doing this since the beginning of the Diy. I built my first multi when we were using parts from wii nunchucks. You can't just go to a store and buy and fly. It seem to always end up the same way. lol I also have every form of autopilot that 3dr has made. I don't post a lot, just when I have something to say. These people need to learn there machines.

HELP I OPENED UP THE BOX AND MY DRONE HAS FLOWN AWAY!!!

Post of the day right there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I usually take off manually and since the day I upgraded 2.4 iOS Solo throttles up until I bring my right stick down to make it hover. Kinda scared me the first time it happened. Before the update Solo throttled up only as much as I pushed up on the stick. If I let go after take off Solo would hover then. Ive become accustomed to the "new" way Solo lifts off in manual now. But I hope 3DR fixes the bug eventually. If not, oh well. Im fine with that too

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danny5150