Is 3D Robotics in danger of closing it's doors?

I don't believe it does. Some of the 3DR videos even show Colin using aftermarket antennas. I would say most of us have a 3rd party setup. Myself, I don't need a boosted signal, or a 2 - 4 mile flight. My FPVLR more than meets my needs, and my test of a little over a mile was way more than I will use. Like you, I like a stronger signal close in. Tony over at FPVLR has done a great job with his antennas, and he takes the time to answer any questions you might have. Good luck.

Thanks. I ordered one. Should arrive before the Solo does. I still need another battery. Can't find a deal anywhere, so I guess that's full price. Good thing I saved $200.00 on the drone!

Basic price will be $1149.00 plus another $75 for shipping, and a drive across the border to pick it up. Still cheaper than any of my Phantoms I think.

The price on the Blade Chrome is amazing at B&H, same as the Yuuunec, or how ever it is spelled. I wish I could trust them, I would consider using them.

I think you will be happy with them Just remember the FPVLR setup is somewhat directional, meaning you have to keep them pointed towards your Solo to get the best results. Don't count out the stock antennas either. They have been doing very well for me as well. Nice to have choices, huh?...:D

Thanks for your help. I plan the first few flights to be with the standard antenna.

One of the deciding factors on the Solo is with the new OS, it receives 1080p video, and you can output that to a field monitor or what ever. I have a field recorder, that will record uncompressed 1080p. So, if things work the way I want them to, I'll have 4K on my GoPro, and 1080 on my field recorder. My decision to buy the antenna's was to improve the chances of the external recorder working. DJI doesn't have anything close.

Thanks for your help. I plan the first few flights to be with the standard antenna.

I bought an Alpha at the same time I ordered the Solo, and fully intended to buy the FPVLR after my wallet recovered from the Solo and GoPro 4.

I've admittedly not used the Solo as extensively as some here (winter curbed my use), but in the flying I did do, I never even put the Alpha on, and I honestly can't see spending the money on the FPVLR at this point. I've had my Solo out farther than I expected to be able to, with no issues whatsoever. It's nice to know that I can extend the range if at some point I find it necessary, but so far, I've found the stock antennas to be more than sufficient.

I bought an Alpha at the same time I ordered the Solo, and fully intended to buy the FPVLR after my wallet recovered from the Solo and GoPro 4.

I've admittedly not used the Solo as extensively as some here (winter curbed my use), but in the flying I did do, I never even put the Alpha on, and I honestly can't see spending the money on the FPVLR at this point. I've had my Solo out farther than I expected to be able to, with no issues whatsoever. It's nice to know that I can extend the range if at some point I find it necessary, but so far, I've found the stock antennas to be more than sufficient.

Try the ITElite DBS antenna. The retailer in Florida has some cool vids of some outrageously long range flights (out/back) You can see my entries on this antenna on diydrones. I've taken my Solo over 3000ft over the Gulf of Mexico and the signal strength didn't vary from "0 dB" as announced over the Tower app. Keep in mind that trees and buildings will attenuate the WiFi signal. I've been near signal loss with that antenna but at that time the Solo was behind about 200 yards of pine trees. (got little carried away with fpving)

3D Robotics Inc., one of the better-funded, high-profile drone startups, is laying off an undisclosed number of its staff in a restructuring aimed at moving more quickly into the commercial market, due to heavy competition in the consumer drone market.

“DJI is doing great, it’s because they are moving so fast, it’s forcing the others to adapt,” 3DR co-founder and Chief Executive Chris Anderson told MarketWatch, referring to the biggest consumer drone maker. “Some companies are adapting by leaving, and others are adapting by moving upstream to the enterprise, which was always our plan. And is it just accelerating right now.”
In the consumer arena, 3DR was making too many Solos. “We got knocked down for a really simple reason: We made too many Solos, especially given how fast our competitors dropped prices and flooded the market,” Kalanithi wrote in the Q&A portion of the company email.
Drone-maker 3D Robotics cuts jobs, refocuses on corporate market

So, I guess they are admitting that DJI beat them, they can't compete, and they are retreating. Not feeling to good about the future of our quad, that "they made too many of".

Also admitted were the realities of building a company that develops and markets products the market wants. I would suggest the CEO was interested in engineering and development rather than getting better products than DJI to market.
Perhaps its time to team with Yuneec and offer the Solo architecture for commercial-oriented, Yuneec-built, 3DR-integrated systems. If Horizon could team with Yuneec, seems to me 3DR can.

The new brand is "3DR inside" for the drone world. Back in the day, Intel made calculators but pulled back and concentrated on just the core technology. Now "Intel Inside" is a thing consumers look for in a computer.
The core technology IMHO is the Pixhawk, PX-2 AP and the Solo architecture with a co-processor and network. Keep the Chinese from copying that, stay ahead with software apps and sensor data workflow and 3DR will become the intel of the drone world...IMHO.

So, I guess they are admitting that DJI beat them, they can't compete, and they are retreating. Not feeling to good about the future of our quad, that "they made too many of".
This is not new news, the future of Solo is fine as it's the same hardware as the Enterprise version and plans are already laid out for Solo into 2017 at least including new software, smart shots etc along with hardware.

3DR has been actively seeking requirements from its user base for cameras so they're not just looking at mapping but thinking about how to progress past the GoPro.

This is not new news, the future of Solo is fine as it's the same hardware as the Enterprise version and plans are already laid out for Solo into 2017 at least including new software, smart shots etc along with hardware.

3DR has been actively seeking requirements from its user base for cameras so they're not just looking at mapping but thinking about how to progress past the GoPro.

Actively seeking requirements? I guess I didn't get that email.

There was a thread on the Facebook page, I'll try and dig out the link later.

Where did you get this information. Did you think it up yourself, or is it in print from 3DR. Everything changed yesterday. Their requests to gather information is no longer valid to the consumer, or prosumer as we are. They clearly stated they are now looking towards Enterprise Apps and companies to work with.

I bought my Solo last Friday. I've flown once due to weather. It was a great flight, but I'm not interested in going down with the ship.

I suspect I will use the 30 day money back guarantee to send this back to 3DR and try either the Yuneec or Blade alternatives. I have no interest in DJI anymore.

Where did you get this information. Did you think it up yourself, or is it in print from 3DR. Everything changed yesterday. Their requests to gather information is no longer valid to the consumer, or prosumer as we are. They clearly stated they are now looking towards Enterprise Apps and companies to work with.

I bought my Solo last Friday. I've flown once due to weather. It was a great flight, but I'm not interested in going down with the ship.

I suspect I will use the 30 day money back guarantee to send this back to 3DR and try either the Yuneec or Blade alternatives. I have no interest in DJI anymore.
That's a pretty drastic response. 3DR isn't going anywhere and if you liked the Solo, keep it. 3DR has a major presence at NAB, even larger than Yuneec. Going to a major show like NAB is a commitment and a statement.

You're being a little bit rude with your tone to say that's your first post to me. This discussion has been had on the 3DR Solo Users Facebook page and Oren who is a VP at 3DR has already confirmed Solo is the Enterprise platform, it's essentially the same hardware and announcements will come at NAB. The Mod Club Group which was started by 3DR employees to share ideas with the community on modding and improving Solo has been trialling new smart shots since Xmas which are coming out officially.

Last edited:
There was nothing rude in my tone. I'm sure you have read posts by people who are making up their 100% accurate post from their opinion. I was simply trying to determine where you got your information. If you took that as rude, it was not intended as such. I just spent nearly $1600.00 buying and outfitting my Solo with batteries, and an RF booster. If support for a drone - I truly loved my first flight - is going to evaporate, I still have the benefit of returning it.

Others may make up opinion (especially the infamous Craig) but I can always cite a source or reason for having a view. 3DR used to be smaller and used to sell fewer units with the IRIS and no one worried then. With the P4 DJI copied a fair few things from the Solo that alone shows even DJI know it's a good bit of kit.

3DR has had fantasic customer support going back years and that won't be changing. 3DR has even been recruiting at their head office but instead people will focus on the closure of other offices where it should be noted the support people are not based.

Nah nothing rude there at all
Unless you actually read it

3DR isn't going anywhere and if you liked the Solo, keep it. 3DR has a major presence at NAB, even larger than Yuneec. Going to a major show like NAB is a commitment and a statement.

There's never any guarantees in life, but yea, this seems far from an "on death's doorstep" situation. Even with their new corporate focus, I'm sure they'll still honor their support commitment to the Solo, and if the corporate market keeps them in business for the next year or more, they won't owe me anything. I bought a product with a 1 year warranty, and a product that will almost surly be technically obsoleted in 2 to 3 years. Not unusable by that time, but with how fast the technologies are developing, there will undoubtedly be capabilities that can't realistically be added to the Solo.

I get the cold feet, for most of us, it IS a hefty chunk of money to drop on a product. On the other hand, most people think nothing of replacing expensive smartphones, tablets and notebooks every year or two. It's hard sometimes to square how people can buy one expensive product, use it for a year and think nothing of replacing it outright, and on the other hand, buy another, admittedly product, but expect support almost in perpetuity.

Reactions: Jubalr

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig