Internet access on a Wifi only tablet via phone

Reaction score
I have been thinking about how to get internet access on my Nexus 9 Android tablet for Tower to get maps. I can make my phone a hotspot, connect the tablet, and then download maps. Then I reconnect to the controller, and the maps for the area are cached. But I want constant internet access on the tablet.

My idea is to connect the phone and tablet to the controller, setup a proxy on the phone, and then set the proxy on the tablet with an exclude for the local 10.0.0.0/8 range. Then the tablet can go through the phone for internet, but still access the controller and solo.

My other idea that I have already setup is turning on multi-window on the Nexus 9. Now I can have the Solo app and the Tower app in parallel. I want the live video feed in the Solo app, and the Tower map showing where the Solo is located. It would be really nice is 3DR just combined the two applications, and you could toggle back and forth between video and the map with a picture in a picture.

The regular app has a map where you can see where the solo is located, its orientation, and the home position as well. If that's what you want to use Tower for, it's unneeded.

In the regular app, swipe in from the right side of the screen. You can open the map to 1/3 screen with the rest of the app on 2/3, or open the map full screen. Tap the video feed to return to previous screen.

I have made progress with this on my original idea of getting internet access through my phone on my tablet so that I can get maps and other services while still being connected to the Solo.

Both my phone and tablet are running Android 6.0.1.

HTTP proxy - works - no root required:
I downloaded the Android app Proxy Server by Ice Cold Apps from the Google Play Store on my Nexus 6 phone. I set my phone's ip address for the Sololink SSID to 10.1.1.254, instead of the default of dhcp. On my Android Nexus 9 tablet I set the proxy to Manual. I set the proxy server to 10.1.1.254, and the port number the port randomly generated by Proxy Server on the phone. I connect both the phone and tablet to the Sololink SSID. I could then get to the Internet through the proxy/phone, but also use the Solo and Tower apps.

One of the keys is to ignore the popup that say Wi-Fi has no internet access on the phone. If you tell it yes, you cut yourself off from cellular data. You shouldn't see this on the tablet if you have setup things properly, but if you do, be sure to tell it yes.

Bluetooth internet connection sharing - doesn't work - no root required:
I tried using bluetooth internet connection sharing between my Nexus 6 and Nexus 9. It worked for internet access, but I could either be properly connected to the wifi network, or I could be on bluetooth. I couldn't be on both.

Socks proxy: - doesn't work - root required:
I tried setting up a Socks proxy, but Android doesn't support those out of the box. I tried using apps to make it work, and couldn't get them to work. This could probably be made to work, but when a HTTP proxy is easier, why bother.

IP Masquerade - doesn't work - root required:
I tried setting my Nexus 6 phone up to ip masquerade with iptables. This is basically what it does when you turn on the wifi hotspot. I could get the iptables rules setup properly, and enable ip_forward. Yet it still didn't work, and I don't understand why. This could probably be made to work, and would have certain advantages. On the other hand it is a lot more complex to setup.

Last edited:
I have not flown this way yet but I am able to connect first using WiFi to Solo then connect to Bluetooth to serve maps. This is using the HTC One M9 and the Nvidia Shield K1.

I need to connect first to Solo. If I don't it will not connect.

Maybe an otg cable can be used to send inter et access to the tablet from your phone. Otg= on the go. It let's things like cell phones use normal usb accessories like mouse, keyboard, SD card readers, and things like that. I recently got 2 otg cables delivered for dollars on Amazon. I'm sure there's a tethering app out there somewhere that would make it work

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

MachWun: That might work, but Android really doesn't like competing network connections. So having the tethering going, and then also connecting to the Solo's wifi will tend to leave you with one or the other. I think this someone depends on what version of Android, and if not stock Android, which manufacture with their own customizations.

Do you need internet only for maps? If so, both Tower and the Solo app offer the ability to download maps for offline use. It's a little more involved in the tower app because you have to turn on the "Download Maps" button, but it's not hard. If you need new maps in the field, you can tether via wifi before your flight, download the maps, and then you don't need to be online during the flight. I use this feature often on my Nexus 7 & it works great.

Yeah, I am aware I can tether before the flight, let it cache, and then untether. With that method you only get Google maps data for the area around you at that time. As for the offline maps, yeah, but I have read here you can only do that with maps other than Google maps.

I wanted to have continuous internet on the tablet for maps, but I can think of other uses. I could upload video and pictures. I could use apps that show where airports are located.

I would have just used my phone, but connecting to the Sololink SSID in a way that allows me to control the Solo disconnects me from the cellular data. So with a phone, a tablet, some software, and a little configuration I can workaround Android's limitations. I also get a bigger screen with the tablet.

I have made progress with this on my original idea of getting internet access through my phone on my tablet so that I can get maps and other services while still being connected to the Solo.

I downloaded the Android app Proxy Server by Ice Cold Apps from the Google Play Store on my Nexus 6 phone. I set my phone's ip address for the Sololink SSID to 10.1.1.254, instead of the default of dhcp. On my Android Nexus 9 tablet I set the proxy to Manual. I set the proxy server to 10.1.1.254, and the port number the port randomly generated by Proxy Server on the phone. I connect both the phone and tablet to the Sololink SSID. I could then get to the Internet through the proxy/phone, but also use the Solo and Tower apps.

One of the keys is to ignore the popup that say Wi-Fi has no internet access on the phone. If you tell it yes, you cut yourself off from cellular data. You shouldn't see this on the tablet if you have setup things properly, but if you do, be sure to tell it yes.

I tried using bluetooth internet connection sharing between my Nexus 6 and Nexus 9. It worked for internet access, but I could either be properly connected to the wifi network, or I could be on bluetooth. I couldn't be on both.

I tried setting up a Socks proxy, but Android doesn't support those out of the box. I tried using apps to make it work, and couldn't get them to work. This could probably be made to work, but when a HTTP proxy is easier, why bother.

I tried setting my Nexus 6 phone up to ip masquerade with iptables. This is basically what it does when you turn on the wifi hotspot. I could get the iptables rules setup properly, and enable ip_forward. Yet it still didn't work, and I don't understand why. This could probably be made to work, and would have certain advantages. On the other hand it is a lot more complex to setup.

Very cool Nathan...I'll give this a go. I had thought of placing a wireless router on my car, connect to the Sololink, and using a scheme similar to yours, add a cellular modem connection for internet access via that router. I think I saw one of these routers at Frys the other day. The intent of them is to provide WiFi in a moving car...just plug in a cellular LTE modem and it will share internet access. I was on a tour bus that used a similar setup a few years back. What we want to do is make the second router play on the Sololink (ie with the router in the controller)

old post, but still relevant

Does anyone use a wifi hotspot to get their tablet online while also connected to solo? Managed to get access to a MIFI hotspot and wanted to know if that can work with the kit.

You can't connect to two WiFi networks at once. Pick one, connect to solo or connect to the MiFi. So, no.

Hi @Nathan Grennan.

Can you share the tutorial how to set up a Proxy Server.

TQ.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

[emoji24][emoji24][emoji24]

he already wrote it:

Reactions: algojo
How do you turn on wifi and data at the same time?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44