How to Solo Smarts on a Bigger Bird

Reaction score
I am working on getting my IMX6 onto a large DIY bird, and thought I would document the process. Anyone who has gone down this path who wants to check my information or help out would be greatly appreciated.
Using a wiring diagram from FB group I have gotten this far. Arthur had retrofitted his PH1 wit solo IMX6, I am doing one on the PH2.1 board and cube. I have an Edison in there right now but this will replace the Edison.

I have two questions that I am researching right now
How to power it, Do you use the 5v pin off the Pixhawk Board or a BEC?
What are the serial port configuration settings in MP to get these two to talk? Same as Edison?

Last edited:
Pyrate, what are you using the Edison board to do? When I got my PH2.1 I opted out of the Edison board because I couldn't think of any use for my needs. Maybe you have it doing something impressive and I'll kick myself for not going for the Edison.

I'll be following your IMX6 effort closely!

I know the Pixhawk boards can be sensitive to power draw, so I'd recommend getting the 5V from a BEC. I'm sure you will need the 5V for something else too.

Reactions: Arny58
Pyrate, what are you using the Edison board to do? When I got my PH2.1 I opted out of the Edison board because I couldn't think of any use for my needs. Maybe you have it doing something impressive and I'll kick myself for not going for the Edison.

I'll be following your IMX6 effort closely!
I am using APsync on the current Edison on board, but want to pull it out for the IMX6, APSync gives my by DIY bird a hotspot like solo but only streams video. With the IMX6 I can go full solo controller on it

I know the Pixhawk boards can be sensitive to power draw, so I'd recommend getting the 5V from a BEC. I'm sure you will need the 5V for something else too.
going to use the 5v bec off one of ESCs but it also requires battery power to boot, not sure why.

I do have a wire wrong in that drawing and need to fix it. Going to wire it up on the bench next week before installing it all on a new frame

Updated the wiring diagram, found an error it is correct now. Will be powering the 5v from a bec, now I just need to figure out the serial port and control parameter settings

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dachl