How To Replace Solo Motor Bearings!

Del

Reaction score
My Solo has been in hibernation do to the winter season !
So I want to take that opportunity to take that time to work on my solo and get it ready for spring!
I have one Motor #4 that sounds really bad and would like to change the bearings my self! I had no clue how to do this thoe..So I tried to do as much research as I can on the net and watching videos on YouTube ! Iv learnt a lot so far... I found a few videos but could not find any video on how to change bearings on a Solo motor?
So I have a few question that I would Ike to throw out there and would appreciate any feedback or tips to guide me in the right Direction ..and Mabe this will also help other pilot member that would like to know about "how to" !

Question..
First of all...the video link that I posted is NOT mine!! Its just one of the video I found on YouTube to make me understand on basically how to change the bearings in a brushless motor !
I don't know what kinda of motor this gentlemen is using in his video...
But is it the same steps and basically the same concept on changing the bearing on a Solo motor ..? Or is there anything done differently ?

Iv read somewhere that the Solo motors are made from "Sunnysky" ?
So should I purchase my Bearing from them or should I get them from a better Quality supplier?

When purchasing a bearing kit ..should I also purchase the retainer clips ..or just use my old ones?

Would anybody know the size of the Solo bearings? Iv read that the Solo has two size bearing..the top being smaller then the bottom?

Cheers!

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: J R
Looks very easy!! Wonder how often we should do this on solo..

My Solo has been in hibernation do to the winter season !
So I want to take that opportunity to take that time to work on my solo and get it ready for spring!
I have one Motor #4 that sounds really bad and would like to change the bearings my self! I had no clue how to do this thoe..So I tried to do as much research as I can on the net and watching videos on YouTube ! Iv learnt a lot so far... I found a few videos but could not find any video on how to change bearings on a Solo motor?
So I have a few question that I would Ike to throw out there and would appreciate any feedback or tips to guide me in the right Direction ..and Mabe this will also help other pilot member that would like to know about "how to" !

Question..
First of all...the video link that I posted is NOT mine!! Its just one of the video I found on YouTube to make me understand on basically how to change the bearings in a brushless motor !
I don't know what kinda of motor this gentlemen is using in his video...
But is it the same steps and basically the same concept on changing the bearing on a Solo motor ..? Or is there anything done differently ?

Iv read somewhere that the Solo motors are made from "Sunnysky" ?
So should I purchase my Bearing from them or should I get them from a better Quality supplier?

When purchasing a bearing kit ..should I also purchase the retainer clips ..or just use my old ones?

Would anybody know the size of the Solo bearings? Iv read that the Solo has two size bearing..the top being smaller then the bottom?

Cheers!

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Hey Del,

I did a couple of my motors recently, was a piece of cake. Only took about 15min each. I used Sunnysky bearings but here is more info on sizes and where to get the Boca bearings as well..

Hey Del,

I did a couple of my motors recently, was a piece of cake. Only took about 15min each. I used Sunnysky bearings but here is more info on sizes and where to get the Boca bearings as well..
Thanks Jubair for posting the link...there seems like a lot of post in that thread..it's gonna take me sometime to read them all but will go do that now :)
Is there A difference in the quality of the bearings between Sunnysky and Boca?? Or are they all basically all the same ?

Cheers

Thanks Jubair for posting the link...there seems like a lot of post in that thread..it's gonna take me sometime to read them all but will go do that now :)
Is there A difference in the quality of the bearings between Sunnysky and Boca?? Or are they all basically all the same ?

Cheers
I could be wrong, but I have always heard that Boca sealed bearings are top of the line. The Sunnysky were fine as well, so not sure the differences, if any. Also, I did not have any trouble putting the new bearings in and did not have to do any heating/freezing as is sometimes needed. I just made sure they were starting in the hole nice and flat and pressed them in by squeezing with my thumbs.

I could be wrong, but I have always heard that Boca sealed bearings are top of the line. The Sunnysky were fine as well, so not sure the differences, if any. Also, I did not have any trouble putting the new bearings in and did not have to do any heating/freezing as is sometimes needed. I just made sure they were starting in the hole nice and flat and pressed them in by squeezing with my thumbs.
Sounds good Jubair ..thank you:)
I'm having a problem trying to find the bearings I need on the net?

Would you remember if these are the ones you ordered ?

Japanese NMB Bearings for SunnySky V22 and X22-II Motors (i.d. 3.17mm, a pair)

Yes, those are the ones I ordered and the same placed I ordered from. They shipped right away too.
Awesome..I'm getting closer on ordering my bearings now..lol
I found that in the description on the details of the bearings are very vague on the site? There should be 2 size bearing for the motor of the solo..Right? But it does show 2 different sizes of bearings in the picture thoe on the site...But only says 3.17mm internal diameter for description ..and that's it?? How do I know what the O.D size is on those bearings?

I think the OD upper bearing should be 951mm
And the OD bottom Bearing should be 792mm

Cheers

Awesome..I'm getting closer on ordering my bearings now..lol
I found that in the description on the details of the bearings are very vague on the site? There should be 2 size bearing for the motor of the solo..Right? But it does show 2 different sizes of bearings in the picture thoe on the site...But only says 3.17mm internal diameter for description ..and that's it?? How do I know what the O.D size is on those bearings?

I think the OD upper bearing should be 951mm
And the OD bottom Bearing should be 792mm

Cheers
Yes, they are different sizes for top and bottom and the package on that site includes one of each to complete 1 motor. Internal Diameter is the same on both.

Reactions: Del
these look easier to deal with but I though there was a difference in upper and lower bearings

never mind duh
Don't you hate when that happens..lol

But I just pulled out my credit card out and ordered the same Sunnysky Bearing that Jubair ordered..so I'm pretty excited and cant wait to tackle this project..:)
I wanted to Order 2 sets of bearings from that site..but it would only let me order one for some reason? They must have a one bearing set order per customer only ?.

Thanks again Jubair for your all your Help :)

Cheers

you got the last ones, it said out of stock when I tried to order 4 sets
I have two pods already that vibrate so bad I replaced them

you got the last ones, it said out of stock when I tried to order 4 sets
I have two pods already that vibrate so bad I replaced them

No way...no wonder it wouldint let me order any more then just one...what's the odds of me getting the last one!!! Lmao

I hope they stock up soon...I want to order a couple more sets:)

Cheers

do you all have 150+ hours on your solo?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

do you all have 150+ hours on your solo?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
I don't...I have less then 150 hours on my motors..but sometimes you'll have bad bearing much sooner depending where you fly your solo... for example if you have a very dusty environment where you fly ...or fly a lot around a beach or the Desert where there is sand and grit that gets in your motors..that will damage you're bearing after time !

But in my case ...it isint dusty environment ..I just got bad luck with motor 4 and 1... Just doesn't sound right or feel right spinning by hand ..and lots of vibration compared to the other motors ..so I want to do a bearing replacement on those 2 motors and see the difference it makes !!

Cheers

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig