How To Replace Solo Motor Bearings!

I don't...I have less then 150 hours on my motors..but sometimes you'll have bad bearing much sooner depending where you fly your solo... for example if you have a very dusty environment where you fly ...or fly a lot around a beach or the Desert where there is sand and grit that gets in your motors..that will damage you're bearing after time !

But in my case ...it isint dusty environment ..I just got bad luck with motor 4 and 2... Just doesn't sound right or feel right spinning by hand ..and lots of vibration compared to the other motors ..so I want to do a bearing replacement on those 2 motors and see the difference it makes !!

Cheers
hmm... I guess I need to test mine. Did you do the vib test on them?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

hmm... I guess I need to test mine. Did you do the vib test on them?

Yes I did...spun the motors with MP and used the Vibration App on my iPhone !! But I also used the feel test with the end of my fingers for vibration ..! motor 1 and 3 were like Butter..but 2 and 4 had lots of vibration ...on the app and the feel test!! And motor 4 being the worse.!

Cheers

Reactions: prowler9
Hey Jubair..how did Deal with the 3 plastic tabs that are holding the Motor Pod to the Circuit board ?

image.png Once you shave the ends off those 3 plastic tabs when taking it apart How do you fix that when your assembling it back together?
Do you just crazy glue the Circuit board back on to those 3 plastic tabs ?
Or do you just leave it the way it is and just let the 4 screws hold on to everything together..?

Cheers

Reactions: prowler9
Yes I did...spun the motors with MP and used the Vibration App on my iPhone !! But I also used the feel test with the end of my fingers for vibration ..! motor 1 and 3 were like Butter..but 2 and 4 had lots of vibration ...on the app and the feel test!! And motor 4 being the worse.!

Cheers
I need to do this...

Hey Jubair..how did Deal with the 3 plastic tabs that are holding the Motor Pod to the Circuit board ?

View attachment 2356 Once you shave the ends off those 3 plastic tabs when taking it apart How do you fix that when your assembling it back together?
Or do you just leave it the way it is and just let the 4 screws hold on to everything together..?

Cheers
Del, Rolands888 or RichWest (I think) did an extensive thread on bearing replacement. I don't remember any need to take the motor pod off the circuit board unless you're swapping out the motors for something like t-motors.

Reactions: Del

View attachment 2356 Once you shave the ends off those 3 plastic tabs when taking it apart How do you fix that when your assembling it back together?

Cheers
The tabs are easily cut with an xacto knife. When I re-assembled, I just just a small drop of cyno.(instant glue, thick version). That's probably not needed but just firms everything up.

Reactions: Maddog and Del
Del, Rolands888 or RichWest (I think) did an extensive thread on bearing replacement. I don't remember any need to take the motor pod off the circuit board unless you're swapping out the motors for something like t-motors.
MD, you have to remove to get to the bottom bearing of the motor.

Reactions: Maddog
Replaced mine with Boca Bearings (sealed). I believe sealed bearings are the way to go, especially if you take off and land anywhere that has potential for dirt and micro particles to get caught up in the rotor wash. Ever watch a helo in a movie with smoke around it? I also used an exacto knife to cut the plastic tabs off and release the motor. Easy taking old bearings out. I also replaced the washer with Teflon washers. You can easily damage the stock washers removing the motors so watch that if you plan on re-using them. Be VERY careful installing the new bearings! I used a little lube on seat to help slide the bearing into place. Do not pound on the bearing! Read somewhere someone put the bearings in the freezer for a while and warmed the motor (not in a microwave,,lol) slightly and said the bearings slipped in nicely as the tolerances were greater. Either way, the result is that SOLO flies smooth and much quitter than before. Best to have a spare motor on hand,,just in case. Good luck.

And you do have to take the motor off to replace both bearings.

Cheers

What's the vibration app called? And what does it do exactly?

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: Del
The tabs are easily cut with an xacto knife. When I re-assembled, I just just a small drop of cyno.(instant glue, thick version). That's probably not needed but just firms everything up.
Replaced mine with Boca Bearings (sealed). I believe sealed bearings are the way to go, especially if you take off and land anywhere that has potential for dirt and micro particles to get caught up in the rotor wash. Ever watch a helo in a movie with smoke around it? I also used an exacto knife to cut the plastic tabs off and release the motor. Easy taking old bearings out. I also replaced the washer with Teflon washers. You can easily damage the stock washers removing the motors so watch that if you plan on re-using them. Be VERY careful installing the new bearings! I used a little lube on seat to help slide the bearing into place. Do not pound on the bearing! Read somewhere someone put the bearings in the freezer for a while and warmed the motor (not in a microwave,,lol) slightly and said the bearings slipped in nicely as the tolerances were greater. Either way, the result is that SOLO flies smooth and much quitter than before. Best to have a spare motor on hand,,just in case. Good luck.

And you do have to take the motor off to replace both bearings.
Thanks guys for the great info youve have been VERY helpful. :)
and I'll probably try the sealed Boca bearing next time...but for now I'll have to try the Sunnysky because I have 3 sets of them coming in the mail..:)
I'm really looking forward to see the difference in performance and sound after I do the replacement ..:)

Cheers

Is that app available on iOS?

So surprised there is such a difference between the motors. I would have thought that I was buying a fully tested and optimised Solo from 3DR. Obviously not!

Thanks guys for the great info youve have been VERY helpful. :)
and I'll probably try the sealed Boca bearing next time...but for now I'll have to try the Sunnysky because I have 3 sets of them coming in the mail..:)
I'm really looking forward to see the difference in performance and sound after I do the replacement ..:)

Cheers

Del,

You should record your progress. I put new pods on mine so I have the convenience of doing 3-4 of mine. I'd sure like to see how it goes for you before I attempt it.

Jerry

Reactions: Del and RolandS888
Is that app available on iOS?

So surprised there is such a difference between the motors. I would have thought that I was buying a fully tested and optimised Solo from 3DR. Obviously not!

Mine could very well have been from ditching it int he sand twice
so dont assume it was 3DRs fault

You run each motor in mission planner
There are tons of vibration sensing apps in both IOS and Android

Reactions: RolandS888
Del,

You should record your progress. I put new pods on mine so I have the convenience of doing 3-4 of mine. I'd sure like to see how it goes for you before I attempt it.

Jerry
I agree Jerry..it would be nice to see someone make a video of a "Solo Stock Motor Bearing Change"

I have 2 bad motors here on my coffee table that I want to change the bearings...if I successfully do a bearing change on my first motor.....
I might consider making a video on my second :)

But everything is on hold Untill I receive my new bearings in the mail !

Cheers

Does anybody know where I can get a tool like this guy is using..?

Cheers

Does anybody know where I can get a tool like this guy is using..?

Cheers
They are just shaped needle nose pliers you can get from anywhere that sells tools; auto stores, etc. You might also want to pick up a set of snap ring pliers with interchangeable tips.

They are just shaped needle nose pliers you can get from anywhere that sells tools; auto stores, etc. You might also want to pick up a set of snap ring pliers with interchangeable tips.
So they don't really sell a tool kit for this kinda thing?
So I guess I'll have to check my tool box to see what I can use.. :)

Cheers

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr M