How to do the wrong thing

Reaction score
Website
www.timorden.com
OK, I'm really hating myself this evening. All I wanted to do was glue the nuts onto the Master airscrew props. Yes, as shown in someone's vidi I used what i thought was just a little bit of glue and them screwed the props down onto the motors. Lo and behold, one of the props was stuck. (I immediately realized that it was likely glued to the motor mount)
So, after trying my damndest to unscrew the prop, I got out the vise grips, surrounded the motor bell with a bunch of rubber bands (Hoping I wouldn't scratch the motor) and clamped it. I got enough grip to remove the prop.
OK, then I give the motor a spin and realize that it doesn't freely spin like the others (including the natural attract detract by the magnets.
Now, it's hard core affected by the magnets or seems to be. The motor is almost grabbing as I rotate it. (Spinning is out of the question.)

So, WHAT DID I DO? How should I try to diagnose and fix it....?

please note, I'm feeling like whatever I touch might, without notice, do something completely unexpected like blow up or fall apart.

aghhhhhhh

Photo below...

Attachments

• 20170304_181530.jpg
    20170304_181530.jpg
    795.3 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:
I'm sure due to a little help from the vise grips, the outer bell housing is no longer as round as it should be. Trash the motor and keep the esc..

It's just a learning process, kinda like when we were kids, and stuck a key in the light socket. Sometimes you gotta do it, to know not to do it!

This is why I don't glue those nuts to the props. It's not much more difficult to use them without it. Plus you're adding mass which can throw the props out of balance.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Reactions: speatuk
First the prop nuts should be fairly snug when installed on the prop, then you use half a drop of CA to retain...at least that's what I did with the APC prop setup...ymmv

If you do accidentally let a little CA wick in and glue the nuts on just hold a hot soldering iron on top of the nuts for a few seconds. CA breaks down easily with heat and the motors can take some heat but NOT vicegrips.

For the Master Airscrew props, I use a silver metallic sharpie to make it easily identifiable from the blacks

Attachments

• IMG_0124.JPG
    IMG_0124.JPG
    1,005.3 KB · Views: 45
Surprisingly, although the Solo prices are going down, the spare parts are kind of stuck.

Hang on- at the rate new Solo owners are crashing, the demand for parts will go up and so will the price!:mad:
That's no lie. These people crash and crash hard. I guess they have the $300 mind set and we have the $1200. In either case we both learn and we'll gain from the additional community of knowledge.

That's no lie. These people crash and crash hard. I guess they have the $300 mind set and we have the $1200. In either case we both learn and we'll gain from the additional community of knowledge.
For well over a year it was very rare to see a body broken
then the prices fell through the floor and solos were snapping in half
crazy

I am cheap enough that $300 to me is like $5000 to all the rest of you.

Reactions: RichWest

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc