How to do the wrong thing

I am cheap enough that $300 to me is like $5000 to all the rest of you.
I understand, it's all relative. Why would you assume it wasn't a big investment for us as well? We all make choices based on what we care to afford and even lose. Why did you choose to spend the $300 on Solo?

I understand, it's all relative. Why would you assume it wasn't a big investment for us as well? We all make choices based on what we care to afford and even lose. Why did you choose to spend the $300 on Solo?

I know it was a big investment for you, just saying I hate crashing anything. If it was $50 I might not care, but I probably would...Just how I am.

I assume that the guys that have been here since 2015 have thousands invested. I just meant that I hate breaking anything.

It seems that there are a few big groups: people that see these things as toys, people that see these things as a part of RC flying (which isn't toys, not in the same sense), and people that see these as tools.

You can be more than one, but likely you have multiple birds to fit each slot. The people that see it as a toy, and flying one as a kind of a lark, are likely to crash and hard. Maybe the FAA rules and regulations and AMA rules seem silly, and for meant others...

Me, I hate breaking anything over about $5 in value, and I really want to be safe.

I chose to spend $200 on a Solo to become a better pilot, and better understand these types of aircraft. As part of my work, I am supposed to be Part 107 certified, and operate a drone for mapping. I wanted to develop it as a hobby as well, and improve my skills and understanding, largely because I don't want to mess up at work.

No risk, no reward... Fly, crash, repair...repeat

And, yes, that is part of why I bought a Solo. I was thinking of trying a DIY, but the price was just too good on Solo. The DIY is very much "build, crash, repeat" from what I read, but Solo is too good for me to have that attitude just yet. It may have cost $200, but it has way more value than anything under $1000, as far as I can tell.

The DIY is very much "build, crash, repeat" from what I read
Well I think there is a great deal of flying in between build and crash...;)

Solo is the evolved aspect of the DIY community. You have an RTF that is based on DIY and even at $1200 it was a bargain. For any of us to create what is Solo part by part and our time would be more like $5000 for the level of integration it has provided. Don't forget the gimbal and app...

Think of this way, if you don't like Solo in its present form or function, you can change it at a minimal cost. So it fills your frugal nature and is a DIY'able platform...win-win.

Reactions: dmyhill
And, yes, that is part of why I bought a Solo. I was thinking of trying a DIY, but the price was just too good on Solo. The DIY is very much "build, crash, repeat" from what I read, but Solo is too good for me to have that attitude just yet. It may have cost $200, but it has way more value than anything under $1000, as far as I can tell.
Have not crashed my DIY yet and its the very first one
it was reborn form an Old 3DR X8 that crashed due to a bad Pixhawk

Wasn't trying to correct you...but was trying to reason where a 12mm fit on the motor. The OP was how NOT to grip the motors...40mm vise grips...;)

Doesn't IMP or someone sell some sort of motor wrench for just this problem? I think there are 3D printer files on-line as well.

Wasn't trying to correct you...but was trying to reason where a 12mm fit on the motor. The OP was how NOT to
Wasn't trying to correct you...but was trying to reason where a 12mm fit on the motor. The OP was how NOT to grip the motors...40mm vise grips...;)

Yea I'm an idiot, when mine flipped and chewed the props and motors, I used a screwdriver through the spokes and a wrench to get them apart.

I wonder if flattening two sides of the shaft so you could get a wrench on there...perhaps an 8mm? You know, for future issues?

Attachments

• 1474496712000_1138096.jpg
    1474496712000_1138096.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 13
Doesn't IMP or someone sell some sort of motor wrench for just this problem? I think there are 3D printer files on-line as well.

I think I'll make one when I get my Solo back from service. Flat stock, a couple measurements, no problem.

OK, I'm really hating myself this evening. All I wanted to do was glue the nuts onto the Master airscrew props. Yes, as shown in someone's vidi I used what i thought was just a little bit of glue and them screwed the props down onto the motors. Lo and behold, one of the props was stuck. (I immediately realized that it was likely glued to the motor mount)
So, after trying my damndest to unscrew the prop, I got out the vise grips, surrounded the motor bell with a bunch of rubber bands (Hoping I wouldn't scratch the motor) and clamped it. I got enough grip to remove the prop.
OK, then I give the motor a spin and realize that it doesn't freely spin like the others (including the natural attract detract by the magnets.
Now, it's hard core affected by the magnets or seems to be. The motor is almost grabbing as I rotate it. (Spinning is out of the question.)

So, WHAT DID I DO? How should I try to diagnose and fix it....?

please note, I'm feeling like whatever I touch might, without notice, do something completely unexpected like blow up or fall apart.

aghhhhhhh

Photo below...

If you used CA (cyanoacrylate/crazy-glue) you can dissolve the adhesive with an acetone or ketone solvent soak; but you have to factor whether or not acetone will soften or dissolve any of the motor's other organic (plastic) components (mounts, insulation, etc.).

Work in a well ventilated area; and be prepared to ruin the motor and replace with a new one if the solvent ruins something other than the CA.

I may be nuts by the main problem was time wasn't it? If you want to glue the nuts on, no problem as long as you wait until the glue is dry before installing on the Solo, right?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Motoxxx1986