Hero3 Black/Solo gimbal should have video. Right?

Reaction score
It's just a Hero3 Black, not a +, I have confirmed that the camera works on my TV and I have video if I bypass the gimbal and connect straight to the motherboard via the HDMI cable. When the gimbal is thrown in, I just get black screen.
To be clear, brand new from the box gimbal, never got a video feed on the tablet H3B works fine.

I understand that I won't have full control with H3B nota+, but shouldn't I have a video feed?

I think I'm just here to confirm that I should exchange the gimbal (just delivered Friday) and I don't have to go buy a new GoPro.

I really don't want to return it because I'm ready for this thing to be 100 percent, but it is what it is.

Thanks for your time and suggestions, you're doing great things for God and Country, or whoever you prefer to do great things for.

My hero 3 white does get video feed with the gimbal, but must be powered on in a certain order. Power the hero on and place in gimbal before powering on the Solo.

Reactions: Redcon1
My hero 3 white does get video feed with the gimbal, but must be powered on in a certain order. Power the hero on and place in gimbal before powering on the Solo.

Yeah, that's how I did it the first time I connected it all. Camera, Solo, Transmitter, Connect to WIFI, Solex/Solo app/Tower. It was the same way I had been doing it sans the controller.
Once I saw where another user was using a Firefly 7s with the Solo gimbal, I knew what time it was. I dropped the gimbal off at UPS a few minutes ago, I am confident that I have done everything that can be done to eliminate the camera as the culprit.

The hero 3 will not get video feed with gimbal.

That's not correct. You can fly with live video feed using a Hero 3 just fine, with the downside being that the Hero 3 cannot be controlled via the app (you can't start/stop recording, or change modes, etc). I have a 3 Silver which sends its video feed to the app during flight just fine.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the H3+ silver need to have firmware 2.0 to work on the gimbal. It will work just fine
On the static mount with higher firmware. To work on the gimbal and have video feed need to be rollback to 2.0 . Wonder if that also apply to non "+" GoPros

Correct me if I'm wrong but the H3+ silver need to have firmware 2.0 to work on the gimbal. It will work just fine
On the static mount with higher firmware. To work on the gimbal and have video feed need to be rollback to 2.0 . Wonder if that also apply to non "+" GoPros

I've never heard that one but I just ordered gimbal number 2 to replace the first one. I guess if this one doesn't work, I can try to roll back the firmware. I'd ass-u-me that the H3B & H3B+ would use different firmware though.

If that still doesn't work, I'll go GoPro shopping, but I won't like it.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the H3+ silver need to have firmware 2.0 to work on the gimbal. It will work just fine on the static mount with higher firmware. To work on the gimbal and have video feed need to be rollback to 2.0 . Wonder if that also apply to non "+" GoPros

To answer your question that I bolded above: My GoPro 3 Silver (non-plus) has firmware "v03.00", and its video feed is displayed nicely by the iOS Solo app during flight.

To answer your question that I bolded above: My GoPro 3 Silver (non-plus) has firmware "v03.00", and its video feed is displayed nicely by the iOS Solo app during flight.
Are You using a gimbal, I have a GoPro 3 + silver, worked fine
On the static mount with V03.00 but not with the gimbal untill roll back to V02.00. That was before the app update, wonder if something changed.

Are You using a gimbal, I have a GoPro 3 + silver, worked fine
On the static mount with V03.00 but not with the gimbal untill roll back to V02.00. That was before the app update, wonder if something changed.

Yes, the Hero 3 Silver, with firmware rev 3, sends live video through the Solo gimbal. I wonder why the 3+ doesn't. Interesting.

Hi.
I use GoPro 3 White version. Yes you must turn stuff on in a curtain order. For me. Controller, laptop, Solo (which turn's on the GoPro) with Gimbal.
Then I turn the GoPro off via it's power button.
Launch whatever software I 'hope' to see video from.
When Solo is ready to 'Fly' I power up the 'GoPro' via it's power button. (Which is set for video with a 1 second delay)
Then the video show's up in the App. (But like stated, you can't use any cool feature the App has, but is will record and you can see video (slight lag)
....Don't forget, you can also just plug a HDMI cable into the controller and see your video feed in real time.
Order of Operations.....

Hi.
I use GoPro 3 White version. Yes you must turn stuff on in a curtain order. For me. Controller, laptop, Solo (which turn's on the GoPro) with Gimbal.
Then I turn the GoPro off via it's power button.
Launch whatever software I 'hope' to see video from.
When Solo is ready to 'Fly' I power up the 'GoPro' via it's power button. (Which is set for video with a 1 second delay)
Then the video show's up in the App. (But like stated, you can't use any cool feature the App has, but is will record and you can see video (slight lag)
....Don't forget, you can also just plug a HDMI cable into the controller and see your video feed in real time.
Order of Operations.....

I tried several different power order combinations while attempting to fix this soup sandwich but I don't think I waited till all-systems-go before powering the camera.
If gimbal 2 is a football-bat like the first one, I'll try that before committing the whole thing to a ritual sacrifice. Thanks for the info.

I have a hero 3+black I found out yesterday that I to have a bad gimbal. Well after taking it off and hooking it up direct to original hdmi I have video and on screen go pro menu but when I go to pro tune setting video &record it tells me that that pro tune is locked or disabled due to settings. So my problem is that I have either video or recording not both when I push record video shuts off I turn off record and video returns. There's got to be a better setup out there. The drone is great but the go pro camera & gimbal are junk. What a waste of a good drone to have a weak link like that.

I have a hero 3+black I found out yesterday that I to have a bad gimbal. Well after taking it off and hooking it up direct to original hdmi I have video and on screen go pro menu but when I go to pro tune setting video &record it tells me that that pro tune is locked or disabled due to settings. So my problem is that I have either video or recording not both when I push record video shuts off I turn off record and video returns. There's got to be a better setup out there. The drone is great but the go pro camera & gimbal are junk. What a waste of a good drone to have a weak link like that.

I got the new gimbal yesterday and it works as expected now. I just have to have it set to 48fps or less to get a video feed. IDK if that is because I'm using a technically non-compatible camera or because my tablet is old. Maybe you could try that with the pro-tune turned off? I haven't bothered with the protune because I'm no pro when it comes to video editing. I can say that gimbal vs no gimbal, gimbal wins hands down. I thought it had good video without it until I got one.

Hello Redcon1 I'll try those settings you mentioned but I'm a no pro my self I've heard that I might have to have the camera reset? As for the gimbal was new with a dead hdmi. Would love to have a working gimbal just wondering how many it's going to take. Thanks I'll give it a try

I use a hero 3...fits perfectly in the gimbal but I use a go pro remote as the hero 3 can't be controlled via solex or 3dr app.

The hero 3 will not get video feed with gimbal.

I have a Hero 3 Silver that connects just fine with video feed ... as a matter of fact it's what I started with. I bought the Hero 4 black because I wanted 4K ... both work fine though.

Hi,
I have a Hero3+ Black and just today for some reason my video feed was upside down, but it was fine before. Than after I reversed the camera in the the settings now I don't get any video feed anymore.

I'm in desperate need of help. I tried the camera on my other Solo that had the stock Gimbal and I have the same problem, which tells me that there is nothing wrong with the Gimbal.

Help....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc