Here We Go Again...

@Lon Denard- now you have me curious. You joined the forum almost a year ago. Have you been having problems with Solo this entire time or did they begin more recently?
(I'm serious, not trying to flame you).

Also, I wasn't aware that Geek Squad had anything to do with Solo. It sounds like they refurbish or repair them when customers return them and them sell them at a discounted price? When a customer wants it fixed, do they fix it and return it or just give them another one?

I was under the impression Best Buys inventory was getting low and they were basically trying to bail out of dealing with Solo. No?

If you've gone through 6 Solos from Best Buy I don't think the problem is with Solo.
If you say you had malfunctions with all those Solos, I believe you. I just couldn't believe somebody could have such a run of bad luck.
I thought I was the only one with that kind of luck.:(

@Lon Denard- now you have me curious. You joined the forum almost a year ago. Have you been having problems with Solo this entire time or did they begin more recently?
(I'm serious, not trying to flame you).

Also, I wasn't aware that Geek Squad had anything to do with Solo. It sounds like they refurbish or repair them when customers return them and them sell them at a discounted price? When a customer wants it fixed, do they fix it and return it or just give them another one?

I was under the impression Best Buys inventory was getting low and they were basically trying to bail out of dealing with Solo. No?

It looks like they clean them up and resell them. They gave me my money back and I'm free to buy another one if I wish.

I've chronicled my debacle in another thread but I've had a problem with 6 separate units. 2 were refurbs-1 from 3DR and this last one from Best Buy. Although 3 DR offered to send another. I've only actually ever paid for three new units before this one from BB. The very first one I got when they went down to $400. It tried to fly away but I recovered and returned it.(1)Then BB had them for $300 with the bag, so I tried it again.. That one flipped upon landing after a few flights, so it also went back for an exchange.(2) While I had this one(3), they went on sale for $500 with a Go Pro Hero 4 Black so I got one for a spare set(4). Number 3 locked the controller and I sent it back to 3DR and I started flying number 4. Number 4 had the level sensor in Pixihawk stick and I returned it for a refund. Got a refurbished from 3DR (5) to replace 3 and flew this one until it had a momentary loss of power and crashed. Bought a Best Buy Geek Squad Certified Solo(6) that kept losing GPS after take off I returned today. 3DR verified 3 of my problems as hardware issues, replaced one, was going to replace another but I returned it instead and refused to replace number 5 because of the modifications I had made. I had replaced the GPS with a MRO unit. It's kind of hard to bs when they can see 21 sats on the flight logs! So there you go!

Reactions: Maddog
If you say you had malfunctions with all those Solos, I believe you. I just couldn't believe somebody could have such a run of bad luck.
I thought I was the only one with that kind of luck.:(

I've considered digging up the emails from 3DR and the receipts to "prove" what I'm saying is true but why bother? Every problem I've had is a "common" one and had been documented on here from others. I have no reason to lie or to make stuff up. Now I've said this before, if I have any fault in all of this it's that I consider these things toys and don't do "preflight check lists" or follow any start up or shut down procedures. I just took it out, fly it around and put it away. Just I do my Karma or Mavic. I guess we'll see if I have similar problems with my Mavic. I did loose GPS once with the Karma but it has only the one type of receiver like the Solo.

Aww did you miss the part where some guys might be interested in what to expect from Best Buy and 3DR concerning the Geek Squad Certified Refurbished Solo? So the Solo is so awesome that the ENTIRE forum has to be devoted to helping guys fix the problems with the platform? Talk about a boring forum!

Besides, this is a general discussion thread, not a help thread, right? If I were looking for help, I would have posted in the help area of the forum. I am generally discussing here. Hahaha! Seriously though, don't you think it's important for potential buyers of a Best Buy Geek Squad Certified Refurbished Solo to know what may happen if they do come across a problem? Oh and "throwaway"? Are you telling me that when you buy something and it doesn't work correctly the first time you use it, you take it apart, go on a forum asking for help, spend money on modifications, instead of just taking it back to the store? Really? Like I said, I installed a GPS shield and swapped the gps module for another, it's still losing gps. It had 11 sats, then nothing, then 9, then 12, then nothing, etc. Oh and for the record, I fired up my Karma and my Mavic, no problems. Same idiot pilot, same location, no problems.
If you recall I said in one of your earlier threads it's not a case of 'it doesn't work'...people are doing these things to improve performance and expand capabilities.

But if you want toys and the excitement of not following any kind of check or procedure, then crack on I guess, I'm sure it can't have anything to do with your somewhat untypical experience to date.

Reactions: JimB13
If you recall I said in one of your earlier threads it's not a case of 'it doesn't work'...people are doing these things to improve performance and expand capabilities.

But if you want toys and the excitement of not following any kind of check or procedure, then crack on I guess, I'm sure it can't have anything to do with your somewhat untypical experience to date.

To an extent but here we are in this zone where you pretend that there never was a GPS problem, or the HDMI ribbon cable, etc,etc,etc. Again, the Solo was marketed as READY TO FLY, EASY TO OPERATE, FLY RIGHT OUT OF THE BOX, etc. Not buy, replace the gps shield, replace the gps, replace the ant, use a different application, use a very specific power on sequence, use a very specific power off sequence, etc,etc,etc. All the pre flights checks in the world wouldn't have prevented a controller lock, level sensor jam, lost gps, etc. Too many of you are pretending too hard at being actual pilots. I bet you put turn signals and brake lights on your rc cars as well...

Maybe it would be more helpful for you to post your invaluable observations on a the Best Buy site. Im sure the potential buyers there would appreciate your input.

Dave, seriously, I'm posting to complain! I'm not looking for help, sir. If I wanted my logs gone over, I'd send the to 3DR. Like I said Best Buy gives a 90 return/replace on Geek Squad Refurbished items so if this doesn't work, I'll try a different one.
Maybe the Best Buy website would be a better place to post your invaluable observations. Im sure the potential buyers would appreciate input.

Last edited:
Maybe the Best Buy website would be a better place to post your invaluable observations. Im sure the potential buyers would appreciate input.

I have posted there! I'm an Elite Plus member! Thanks for the suggesting though!

It looks like they clean them up and resell them. They gave me my money back and I'm free to buy another one if I wish.

I've chronicled my debacle in another thread but I've had a problem with 6 separate units. 2 were refurbs-1 from 3DR and this last one from Best Buy. Although 3 DR offered to send another. I've only actually ever paid for three new units before this one from BB. The very first one I got when they went down to $400. It tried to fly away but I recovered and returned it.(1)Then BB had them for $300 with the bag, so I tried it again.. That one flipped upon landing after a few flights, so it also went back for an exchange.(2) While I had this one(3), they went on sale for $500 with a Go Pro Hero 4 Black so I got one for a spare set(4). Number 3 locked the controller and I sent it back to 3DR and I started flying number 4. Number 4 had the level sensor in Pixihawk stick and I returned it for a refund. Got a refurbished from 3DR (5) to replace 3 and flew this one until it had a momentary loss of power and crashed. Bought a Best Buy Geek Squad Certified Solo(6) that kept losing GPS after take off I returned today. 3DR verified 3 of my problems as hardware issues, replaced one, was going to replace another but I returned it instead and refused to replace number 5 because of the modifications I had made. I had replaced the GPS with a MRO unit. It's kind of hard to bs when they can see 21 sats on the flight logs! So there you go!
Wow- you certainly have put up with more Solo/3DR B.S. than most people would. Most would have bailed to another drone by now, so I guess you see something in it you like.:)
Let us know how the Mavic works out.

Wow- you certainly have put up with more Solo/3DR B.S. than most people would. Most would have bailed to another drone by now, so I guess you see something in it you like.:)
Let us know how the Mavic works out.

Yea I did and I still believe it has a valid use profile. Although I admit that a lot of it was price. I mean I had honestly $66 dollars out of pocket on the last one and I has several GoPros. Any other platform, was a significant investment.

Btw I keep trying to let you guys know about the Mavic and I get yelled at! Your fellow forum members claim that no one here wants to hear how the Mavic performs against the Solo or Karma.

Yea I did and I still believe it has a valid use profile. Although I admit that a lot of it was price. I mean I had honestly $66 dollars out of pocket on the last one and I has several GoPros. Any other platform, was a significant investment.

Btw I keep trying to let you guys know about the Mavic and I get yelled at! Your fellow forum members claim that no one here wants to hear how the Mavic performs against the Solo or Karma.
Mavic Pilots would be the proper place for Mavic discussion.

Mavic Pilots would be the proper place for Mavic discussion.

Um did you read the quoted post asking me to let you know how I come out with the Mavic? Why didn't you quote him and chastise him for asking about the Mavic? Hmmm? Context. I'm asked to report on the Mavic. I answer about the Mavic and I'm chastised for mentioning the Mavic. Mavic, Mavic, Mavic, Mavic! Muah! Hahaha!

Seriously, a comparison thread between the Mavic, the Karma and the a Solo should be appropriate on all three forums!

Besides, a while back a guy did a lengthy comparison between one of the Phantoms and the Solo. I didn't see any complaints about that from any of you. Oh yea that's right, he concluded that he preferred the Solo. Well I guess that makes it okay then. I'm pretty sure that if I had posted a thread saying "Keep Your Solo, The Mavic Is A Piece Of Junk!" You guys wouldn't be complaining so much! Hahaha!

For some so aghast over perceived assumptions made by other members, you sure do make a lot of blanket assumptions about other members.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc