Here We Go Again...

Reaction score
I am such a bad pilot and non-manual reader that my refurbished Solo lost GPS 4 times in a 15 minute flight as well as giving me a "calibration error" notification. Also, upon landing the props wouldn't shut off and I had to manua'lly kill it. Dang thing!!! Hahaha! I really need to practice piloting more and re-read the manual so it doesn't lose GPS anymore! Beach use there's no way it,s a hardware or software problem so it must be pilot error of some kind...right?

In any case, just for grins, I replaced the Rev A board with one from my last Solo. It hadn't had any "real" GPS problems but I replaced it with an MRO to get a quicker GPS lock and some much needed confidence! I'll test it out tomorrow and see what's what. The good news is that Best Buy gives a 90 day warranty (basically a replacement/money back warranty since they don't repair them) so if this continues I'll be on to Solo number 7! Hahaha!

Is there a point to this rambling sarcasm? Taking everything everyone says hard line literally and personally is making you look foolish, not smarter. Everyone knows the GPS can be problematic. Everyone knows someone people luck out and some don't. And nobody claims that the GPS being flaky is pilot error despite your insistence to the contrary. The constant theatrics from you are getting old. If your GPS sucks, replace it. Or don't. But the GPS drama was over and done with about 18 months ago.

In any case, just for grins, I replaced the Rev A board with one from my last Solo. It hadn't had any "real" GPS problems but I replaced it with an MRO to get a quicker GPS lock and some much needed confidence! I'll test it out tomorrow and see what's what. The good news is that Best Buy gives a 90 day warranty (basically a replacement/money back warranty since they don't repair them) so if this continues I'll be on to Solo number 7! Hahaha!
Why don't you post a log or something so people can try and help and diagnose your problem. At any rate this is what a mRo M8N will do for you if the GPS is in fact your problem.Screenshot (49).png

Reactions: DennisTPfpv
If you've gone through 6 Solos from Best Buy I don't think the problem is with Solo.

Why don't you post a log or something so people can try and help and diagnose your problem. At any rate this is what a mRo M8N will do for you if the GPS is in fact your problem.View attachment 6671
Yea I had one on number 4 which ended up being the last one I had. Long story. Awesome piece and it worked perfectly! I had a power loss on that one. 3DR saw it on my logs but refused to replace it because of my modifications. Which was fair enough. Hence the $66 Solo refurb!

Oh I don't know if you missed it but I had an extra 3DR gps board I'm going to try. I replaced it last night and was going to try it tonight but I got too busy updating my new Mavic Pro! What a pain!

Nobody missed it. We're perhaps just tired of you're complaining. Which is ironic because half of your complaining is actually complaining about complaining.

Reactions: JimB13 and DJMc
If you've gone through 6 Solos from Best Buy I don't think the problem is with Solo.

Yea I know... I have no idea why 3Dr has replaced 2 of them based on the logs even though it's sure to have been all my fault...

My new refurb, which who can tell why it was returned or what was actually done to "repair" it once it was returned keeps losing gps but I'm sure it's my fault again. I must have missed the section in the manual about how to prevent Solo from losing gps by being a super awesome pilot and memorizing the manual front to back. Maybe the secret is snide, jerk face style comments since you guys never have had any problems with the platform. Hmm....I'll have to try that.

Anyway, in my own bumbling and idiotic way have replaced the current board with a board I had on hand from one of my many, many mistakes that caused a fly away, a flip over, a controller lock up, a pixahawk level sensor lock up, and a sudden power loss...

What's really funny is that neither 3DR or Best Buy has had any problem recognizing the failures and taking care of me when warranted. Again, I was afraid 3DR would say no after my mods on the last one. Besides, I submitted the warranty claim before my insurance sent me a check, so I would have felt guilty if they had sent me a new one. Which is why I didn't even argue when they said no.

Last edited:
Why don't you post a log or something so people can try and help and diagnose your problem. At any rate this is what a mRo M8N will do for you if the GPS is in fact your problem.View attachment 6671

Dave, seriously, I'm posting to complain! I'm not looking for help, sir. If I wanted my logs gone over, I'd send the to 3DR. Like I said Best Buy gives a 90 return/replace on Geek Squad Refurbished items so if this doesn't work, I'll try a different one.

Replacement is a solution...exactly how much time do you invest in something that costs less than $200? My alternator went out, I didn't tear the damn thing apart to determine exactly what went wrong. I bought a new one. My time is worth something to me...although you'd never guess that considering how much time I spend on here... Hahaha! If I ever own one that makes it beyond the return/warranty period before it fails, I'll look at fixing it! Until then, back they go!

Oh and installing a GPS shield and replacing the board doesn't count as trying to fix it? What it only counts if I consult you condescending, snide remark making jerks? I dealt with the company that makes the product or that sold it to me. I sent them the logs and they determined that there was a failure. 3DR had me send them back or Best Buy took them back no questions asked beyond the normal return policy because "they've had several problems with them". Why do you think they have a warehouse full of "Geek Squad Certified" refurbs to sell for $179? Apparently, that's the wrong way to go...whatever.

Last edited:
I stand corrected. Wants to complain, doesn't want to solve, and prefers insulting the forum membership on a large scale regularly. Frankly, the more time you spend acting a fool with your products and money, the less time you actually spend in the air. And frankly that's probably better. From your history here, I don't believe your a responsible operator and it's for the better.

Dave, seriously, I'm posting to complain! I'm not looking for help, sir. If I wanted my logs gone over, I'd send the to 3DR. Like I said Best Buy gives a 90 return/replace on Geek Squad Refurbished items so if this doesn't work, I'll try a different one.
I was wondering to whom you were complaining....but thanks, you cleared that up, with the 'condescending, snide remark making jerks' comment.

That should yield results for you....

I was wondering to whom you were complaining....but thanks, you cleared that up, with the 'condescending, snide remark making jerks' comment.

That should yield results for you....

Again, I'm not looking for any "results"... I was venting, or sharing my experience with the group or whatever.
A lot of guys have expressed interest in Best Buy Geek Squad Certified refurbs and might want to know what my experience was AND especially what type of service I might get from Best Buy or 3DR. I doubt they're on the edge of their seats waiting to find out what someone on here thinks about the situation or possible repairs. I wasn't looking for anyone here to "fix" the problem. That's why I have a warranty and buy from companies with return policies/good customer service.

Oh and when I say condescending, I'm talking about the guys that automatically blame the pilot for anything that goes wrong with the platform. The same guy that called the stock gps a piece of crap a few days ago, blasted me and called my piloting skill into question for claiming that my unit lost gps...huh?

Oh and when I say condescending, I'm talking about the guys that automatically blame the pilot for anything that goes wrong with the platform. The same guy that called the stock gps a piece of crap a few days ago, blasted me and called my piloting skill into question for claiming that my unit lost gps...huh?
Again, as usual, a fabrication in your mind an that's not what happens here. For someone so annoyed by the Solo and this forum, you sure spend a lot of time on both.

Ah, sorry, gotcha now. It's an approach I guess - don't learn, fix and share, just return.

Kind of like a 'throwaway' mode?

Fair enough, but might make for a pretty dull forum?

Tootle-pip!

You would be smarter to send the logs or screenshots here. No one can help unless they have the true story the logs tell.

Ah, sorry, gotcha now. It's an approach I guess - don't learn, fix and share, just return.

Kind of like a 'throwaway' mode?

Fair enough, but might make for a pretty dull forum?

Tootle-pip!

Aww did you miss the part where some guys might be interested in what to expect from Best Buy and 3DR concerning the Geek Squad Certified Refurbished Solo? So the Solo is so awesome that the ENTIRE forum has to be devoted to helping guys fix the problems with the platform? Talk about a boring forum!

Besides, this is a general discussion thread, not a help thread, right? If I were looking for help, I would have posted in the help area of the forum. I am generally discussing here. Hahaha! Seriously though, don't you think it's important for potential buyers of a Best Buy Geek Squad Certified Refurbished Solo to know what may happen if they do come across a problem? Oh and "throwaway"? Are you telling me that when you buy something and it doesn't work correctly the first time you use it, you take it apart, go on a forum asking for help, spend money on modifications, instead of just taking it back to the store? Really? Like I said, I installed a GPS shield and swapped the gps module for another, it's still losing gps. It had 11 sats, then nothing, then 9, then 12, then nothing, etc. Oh and for the record, I fired up my Karma and my Mavic, no problems. Same idiot pilot, same location, no problems.

Last edited:
You would be smarter to send the logs or screenshots here. No one can help unless they have the true story the logs tell.

Dave honestly, I just got the thing, flown it three times, installed a GPS shield, swapped the board. It's still losing gps randomly. I'm not interested in spending any more time on it. It was a return Solo that they cleaned up and resold. If I were guessing, the last owner probably had the same or similar problems which prompted the return. Best Buy puts 90 days on these bad boys. It'd rather waste their time and money than mine.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela