HELP! Solo versus Phantom

Reaction score
When we went to get a drone, my friend got a phantom and I, waiting to do things differently than all others, got Solo.
So far: I paid $1,400 for the drone, $500 for the Gopro, and will need to pay around $600 to get the gimbal to me. That's a total of $2,500.
My friend simply paid $1,300 for the whole 4K Phantom.

Phantom can do everything Solo can, but also it has this IOC option where your right and left will always be right and left, no matter how Phantom spins in the air.
Phantom has a longer range. Connects the phone with cable to save on battery.
AND, the gopro cannot use any of its protection boxes, and in case of a mild crash, or sand soil takeoff and landing... it will be heavily damaged.

AND to top it all, the newest update of Phantom gave it a follow me option, and an orbit option, as well as the "draw route" thing on gps to predefine the flight route of the drone.

So far I'm considering returning my Solo, or selling it, and getting a Phantom.

Can anyone tell me why I shouldn't do that? and how Solo is at least equal to Phantom?

I think there are many things you will find over time that will show you Solo is superior to the Phantom 3.
The Smart Shots is definitely one of them. Filming at 4K without blades and legs in your video.
The customer support that 3DR provides cannot even compare to the DJI customer No-support.
Mission Planner and Tower provides expanded use for autonomous flight for Solo.
Unmatched warranty replacement offering by 3DR. Ability to submit trouble tickets using logs stored on the controller.
Open access to the Arducopter parameters.

I have been on this forum for a while and I think I have seen maybe 2 honest fly-aways. It was found by using the Mission planner and flight logs to plot it's course.

I have a Phantom 2 v2. I like it, can't say I like the company though. I have had my Solo since June and my Phantom has been in the air twice since then. The more you use it, the more you start liking it and gaining confidence in it. Still waiting for the gimbal though and that has me a little unnerved.
I think DJI is waking up to the fact that if they don't improve their customer service they will start to lose a lot of business. For them it has been put one out the door for the consumer, forget about it and put the next one out. My Phantom has not had an update since April when they announced the P3.
3DR got off to a rocky start with the Solo but I think in the next few months things will start getting better. Chris Anderson seems to be a pretty devoted CEO that likes the hobby and gets involved in the DIY Drone forum occasionally.
I like the idea that 3DR is a company in the US that is producing quality products and also providing quality support for those products.

Sounds like you made up your mind already, honestly I'd say if phantom makes you happy and you have to pay all those ridiculous prices for whatever reason, get a phantom. There's plenty of reasons for solo but it seems you've been misinformed if you think the p3 can do all solo can plus. Very much the opposite and I'd say your best bet is to read around some topics here already discussed to find what they all are. I decided against a p3 but have a p2 and flight wise the solo feels like it should where the p2 feels like a toy. My gimbal still hasn't come or I'd try a little harder comparing them but don't want to misinform you any more than it seems you've already been.

I've got a feeling you found RCG before stopping here, that's the one place you could easily find this misinformation if you truly are new to the two platforms. It's also sponsored and moderated by Dji phans so take it for what it's worth. Good luck with whichever you choose and fly safe.

You should return it. SOLO is a very capable and sophisticated machine. So much that can be done with it but takes an intelligent and creative person to take advantage of it capabilities. Far too much to explain here. Sounds like you are more of a Phantom type person, probably not for you. Best of luck and good flying.

When we went to get a drone, my friend got a phantom and I, waiting to do things differently than all others, got Solo.
So far: I paid $1,400 for the drone, $500 for the Gopro, and will need to pay around $600 to get the gimbal to me. That's a total of $2,500.

Phantom can do everything Solo can, but also it has this IOC option where your right and left will always be right and left, no matter how Phantom spins in the air.
AND, the gopro cannot use any of its protection boxes, and in case of a mild crash, or sand soil takeoff and landing... it will be heavily damaged.

AND to top it all, the newest update of Phantom gave it a follow me option, and an orbit option, as well as the "draw route" thing on gps to predefine the flight route of the drone.

Can anyone tell me why I shouldn't do that? and how Solo is at least equal to Phantom?
Return it and get what you really want. Solo is a good quad, but there's nothing wrong with flying a phantom, Besides it being so god-dame ugly. Enjoy what you fly and fly safe.

I agree you should return it as soon as possible before they stop taking them back.
BTW...Do you have a Gimbal?

Where are you buying your Solo components? You are being ripped off.
Solo is $999 with free shipping (you were charged or ripped off for an additional $400 - I've only seen prices like that on ebay!) Go Pro 4 black is $500, the gimbal is $400 with free shipping. That totals $1899, you've been ripped off for $601 unnecessary dollars. Why is it costing you and additional $200 to have it shipped to you? And if you are in a location that requires such exorbitant shipping costs, then the Phantom will require the same high shipping.

And no, the Phantom 3 cannot do everything the Solo can. The newest update from Phantom is next week, and so far untested by consumers. If it is like the majority of DJI's other updates, it will be loaded with it's own issues and will need several additional updates to get the bugs worked out. So in the real world, Phantom might have the same capabilities at some point, but to say they are comparable now is extremely premature.

If you crash the Solo, you may break a prop or two - the body is proving to be extremely tough and resilient. The Phantom 3 is developing stress cracks in its shell just from doing what it is supposed to do -- fly. So plan on replacing your P3 shell after 20 or so flights. Eventually DJI may come out with a tougher shell that can tolerate the stress that the P3's powerful motors produce (the Phantom Shell design has not been changed since the Phantom 1, other than resizing the battery compartments with each new Phantom release). Power has gone up with each release, but the shell's strength has not been increased to match the changes.

IF you crash the P3 and break the fragile cable on the gimbal, you have to replace the entire camera/gimbal assembly at $700 (just because of a fragile $25 cable!). Crashing in sand is harmful to any drone, a grain of sand will seize up a motor whether it is a DJI motor or a 3DR motor. The GoPro is pretty much sealed and safe from sand without its waterproof case.

I own a Phantom 1, Phantom 2, and Phantom 3 pro, as well as the Solo. I can't honestly say I prefer the Solo over the Phantom, or vice versa. But I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that DJI cannot hold a candle to 3DR's customer support, and that alone is worth the extra few hundred dollars the Solo costs, that and the tough as nails shell.

Last edited:
Return it and get what you really want. Solo is a good quad, but there's nothing wrong with flying a phantom, Besides it being so god-dame ugly. Enjoy what you fly and fly safe.
I know, I have to laugh every time I launch one of my Phantoms - they remind me of little white jellyfish swimming through the sky! The Solo at least looks a bit space ship like.

You should return it. SOLO is a very capable and sophisticated machine. So much that can be done with it but takes an intelligent and creative person to take advantage of it capabilities. Far too much to explain here. Sounds like you are more of a Phantom type person, probably not for you. Best of luck and good flying.

Ouch kinda my first thoughts though too admittedly, actually this post basically answers half of these threads posted latley by those trying to find others to justify their returns or decisions to go the other way.

Seems some lead and some follow and the aerial market leader is now following solo to try to match all the smart things it can do now. Just to bad that there's severe limits to how smart their offering can become. That alone shows that 3dr is doing something right in my eyes. Seems kinda like folks still running around carrying flip phones for years just cause their proven and because it's "just a phone right"? Seems the age of smart tech is going to make the rest obsolete whether folks want to admit it or not. Wonder what dji is developing now, I have a feeling it may have some on board computers as well, just maybe.

Where are you buying your Solo components? You are being ripped off.
Solo is $999 with free shipping (you were charged or ripped off for an additional $400 - I've only seen prices like that on ebay!) Go Pro 4 black is $500, the gimbal is $400 with free shipping. That totals $1899, you've been ripped off for $601 unnecessary dollars. Why is it costing you and additional $200 to have it shipped to you? And if you are in a location that requires such exorbitant shipping costs, then the Phantom will require the same high shipping.

And no, the Phantom 3 cannot do everything the Solo can. The newest update from Phantom is next week, and so far untested by consumers. If it is like the majority of DJI's other updates, it will be loaded with it's own issues and will need several additional updates to get the bugs worked out. So in the real world, Phantom might have the same capabilities at some point, but to say they are comparable now is extremely premature.

If you crash the Solo, you may break a prop or two - the body is proving to be extremely tough and resilient. The Phantom 3 is developing stress cracks in its shell just from doing what it is supposed to do -- fly. So plan on replacing your P3 shell after 20 or so flights. Eventually DJI may come out with a tougher shell that can tolerate the stress that the P3's powerful motors produce (the Phantom Shell design has not been changed since the Phantom 1, other than resizing the battery compartments with each new Phantom release). Power has gone up with each release, but the shell's strength has not been increased to match the changes.

IF you crash the P3 and break the fragile cable on the gimbal, you have to replace the entire camera/gimbal assembly at $700 (just because of a fragile $25 cable!). Crashing in sand is harmful to any drone, a grain of sand will seize up a motor whether it is a DJI motor or a 3DR motor. The GoPro is pretty much sealed and safe from sand without its waterproof case.

I own a Phantom 1, Phantom 2, and Phantom 3 pro, as well as the Solo. I can't honestly say I prefer the Solo over the Phantom, or vice versa. But I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that DJI cannot hold a candle to 3DR's customer support, and that alone is worth the extra few hundred dollars the Solo costs, that and the tough as nails shell.
I think why he sounds like he paid more for his solo..it could be he lives in Canada like my self..we pay 14% sales tax..and then add the Exchange rate of the currency of the USD to CAD...

Last edited:
Reactions: LouGeese

Wow, you paid way more than what I paid for Solo, are you in Canada?
The only gripe that you had that I could relate to is the fact gopro isn't in its protective case, but I haven't heard any problems that would damage the Gopro during normal ops.
I did a lot of research and I can tell you there are quite a few people who are dedicated to their brand and will go to all out extremes to get people away from Solo.
True the 3DR put out a great marketing for the Solo and then they weren't ready for putting out which is to this day pissing alot of people off, but what made me gravitate towards Solo is they are here in America, they are very customer friendly, they offer an open source platform and the most important, Looks Kick Ass!!!
I got my Solo in August through Bestbuy and got a free battery! I have flown about twenty times without a hick up, yesterday and today had pretty stiff winds here in North California and it handle it with ease, the landings were a little sketchy but it was very controllable. Long story short, you won't be disappointed.

Last edited:
Reactions: Raybro
I think why he sounds like he paid more for his solo..it could be he lives Canada like my self..we pay 14% sales tax..and then add the Exchange rate of the currency of the USD to CAD...
Yea that's what I figured too, ouch man that's crap. Does it really add up to this big of an increase overall

Wow, you paid way more than what I paid for Solo, are you in Canada?
The only grip that you had that I could relate to is the fact gopro isn't in its protective case, but I haven't heard any problems that would damage the Gopro during normal ops.
I did a lot of research and I can tell you there are quite a few people who are dedicated to their brand and will go to all out extremes to get people away from Solo.
True the 3DR put out a great marketing for the Solo and then they weren't ready for putting out which is to this day pissing alot of people off, but what made me gravitate towards Solo is they are here in America, they are very customer friendly, they offer an open source platform and the most important, Looks Kick Ass!!!
I got my Solo in August through Bestbuy and got a free battery! I have flown about twenty times without a hick up, yesterday and today had pretty stiff winds here in North California and it handle it with ease, the landings were a little sketchy but it was very controllable. Long story short, you won't be disappointed.
I put my P2 up on a GroundStation mission and miscalculated my battery. It started running low on it's return home and autolanded just inside my property. Landed in about 5" of water. GoPro was submerged and still recording video for about 45 seconds until I retrieved it. Dried it out and it has worked fine with no issues.

I think why he sounds like he paid more for his solo..it could be he lives in Canada like my self..we pay 14% sales tax..and then add the Exchange rate of the currency of the USD to CAD...
Ouch, I didn't realize you guys had that high of sales tax? Is that across the nation?
Would it save to drive into the states to buy it? Living in Seattle, and depending on whose economy is stronger at the moment, we either drive to BC to save on shopping, or they drive down here to save $$.

I put my P2 up on a GroundStation mission and miscalculated my battery. It started running low on it's return home and autolanded just inside my property. Landed in about 5" of water. GoPro was submerged and still recording video for about 45 seconds until I retrieved it. Dried it out and it has worked fine with no issues.

Now that is awesome, thanks for sharing that.

The Phantom 3 Pro is $1300 in the US, just as the OP said his friend paid.
What would it run in Canada with the exchange rate and high tax?

Reactions: Volkhard
Ouch, I didn't realize you guys had that high of sales tax? Is that across the nation?
Would it save to drive into the states to buy it? Living in Seattle, and depending on whose economy is stronger at the moment, we either drive to BC to save on shopping, or they drive down here to save $$.
I'm looking at my receipt .. And this is how much I paid just for my Solo here in Canada at my local Best Buy

$1,299 x 14% sales tax =.$1,480,86

simple answer:

dji = i give you 30% discount for service repair

3dr = i send you new replacement

PERIOD.

Reactions: GoodnNuff

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member