HELP! Solo versus Phantom

You should return it. SOLO is a very capable and sophisticated machine. So much that can be done with it but takes an intelligent and creative person to take advantage of it capabilities. Far too much to explain here. Sounds like you are more of a Phantom type person, probably not for you. Best of luck and good flying.
Play nice but I absolutely agree

Sorry, going Off Topic for a moment...
Do you happen to know where Stirling, Alberta is? It is a National Historical Site Of Canada (I believe that is the official designation), and was founded by my Great Grandfather.
Sterling Alberta is very close to the Montana Canada border. Never been there. Small town. My son goes to the university of Lethbridge which is the closest city to Sterling. Where you at?

Sterling Alberta is very close to the Montana Canada border. Never been there. Small town. My son goes to the university of Lethbridge which is the closest city to Sterling. Where you at?
I'm in Seattle. Been a couple of generations since our family lived in Canada. My great grandfather joined the Mormon church, migrated to Utah, and was sent by the Mormons to Alberta to establish a community. His daughter, who was my grandmother, moved back to Utah to marry, rest of the family remained in Alberta Yes, Sterling is about halfway between the US border and Lethbridge if I remember right.

When we went to get a drone, my friend got a phantom and I, waiting to do things differently than all others, got Solo.
So far: I paid $1,400 for the drone, $500 for the Gopro, and will need to pay around $600 to get the gimbal to me. That's a total of $2,500.
My friend simply paid $1,300 for the whole 4K Phantom.

Phantom can do everything Solo can, but also it has this IOC option where your right and left will always be right and left, no matter how Phantom spins in the air.
Phantom has a longer range. Connects the phone with cable to save on battery.
AND, the gopro cannot use any of its protection boxes, and in case of a mild crash, or sand soil takeoff and landing... it will be heavily damaged.

AND to top it all, the newest update of Phantom gave it a follow me option, and an orbit option, as well as the "draw route" thing on gps to predefine the flight route of the drone.

So far I'm considering returning my Solo, or selling it, and getting a Phantom.

Can anyone tell me why I shouldn't do that? and how Solo is at least equal to Phantom?
Captain Harley, once you get past some of these Ford vs Chevy guys you can get some unbiased info on this forum. I for one own both and they are both great birds. There are some things that the Solo is better at and some the phantom is better at. I will say one thing, the phantom out of the box has far greater distance capabilities than my solo, if that is your thing. All in all I guess what I am saying is that you will be equally happy no matter which one you buy.

Captain Harley, once you get past some of these Ford vs Chevy guys you can get some unbiased info on this forum. I for one own both and they are both great birds. There are some things that the Solo is better at and some the phantom is better at. I will say one thing, the phantom out of the box has far greater distance capabilities than my solo, if that is your thing. All in all I guess what I am saying is that you will be equally happy no matter which one you buy.
LOL, it just dawned on me, not only am I a 3DR (Iris+ and Solo) and a Phantom (P1, P2, P3P) owner, but a Ford (Flex) and a Chevy (Volt) owner...hmmm. No wonder I can't get along with myself.

LOL, it just dawned on me, not only am I a 3DR (Iris+ and Solo) and a Phantom (P1, P2, P3P) owner, but a Ford (Flex) and a Chevy (Volt) owner...hmmm. No wonder I can't get along with myself.
That is great, must be a very confusing household, lol.

We know you ain't right Kip. But I will still call you my friend !

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

Reactions: GoodnNuff
The Solo is SMART, and the two Linux-driven computers can't be beat. I've already SSH'd into the controller and drone as root and updated the wireless parameters to include channel 1 and change the channel search order (possible on the Phantom but less information available via Internet). I've come to trust the Solo the more I fly it, it has the power and smarts where it counts.

You're suffering from Grass is Greener syndrome, OP, which will always be there until you jump ship, buy the Phantom and, given time, long for your Solo again.

Over my cold, dead hands am I letting go of my Solo.

- Raston

Reactions: Raybro and Burkeam
I agree the Solo has the hardware and will (in time) be better than the P3P, but when that happens there will probably be a new DJI drone that is just as good or better? If they delayed the gimbal for this long, who knows how long they will delay future accessories. At this moment, I believe the P3P is now just as good if not better since it almost does everything the Solo does and a little more. Plus it's cheaper by more than $600! I'm getting my P3P tomorrow and selling my Solo so we'll see if I made the right choice. Below are some points I used in making my decision.

Solo:
• Better CPU
• More powerful motors
• Upgradability
• Better customer service

P3P:
• Better camera w/ gimbal (less lens distortion without having to mod a $500 GoPro)
• Optical flow sensor
• DJI lightbridge
• $600 less

sgs 182...you make all very valid points.....and as an owner of both I would validate what you say....but i can't tell you how much it hurts when something goes wrong with the the P3P and you have to request an RMA....first of all good luck getting through to talk to a live person! Then when you finally do reach someone, they will email you the shipping label(a step in the right direction) and then finish up by telling you, "it will be 8 weeks from the time we receive it"! Been there done that and it hurts....and there is not one thing you can do to speed up the process...nothing at all, just grin and bare it...ouch its frustrating

By the way, how significant is DJI's Lightbridge feature advantage over the Solo? What about the fact that the Phantom can connect to more Birds?

sgs 182...you make all very valid points.....and as an owner of both I would validate what you say....but i can't tell you how much it hurts when something goes wrong with the the P3P and you have to request an RMA....first of all good luck getting through to talk to a live person! Then when you finally do reach someone, they will email you the shipping label(a step in the right direction) and then finish up by telling you, "it will be 8 weeks from the time we receive it"! Been there done that and it hurts....and there is not one thing you can do to speed up the process...nothing at all, just grin and bare it...ouch its frustrating

That is the ONE looming thing about the switch over to DJI. I'm just hoping the latest firmware they released is more stable and that I'm one of the lucky ones that won't have an accident? I've waited 3 months for a gimbal I never got (and only flew 3-4 times), maybe it won't be so hard to wait 8 weeks for a repair, haha.

I will definitely share my experience with both quads.

I agree the Solo has the hardware and will (in time) be better than the P3P, but when that happens there will probably be a new DJI drone that is just as good or better? If they delayed the gimbal for this long, who knows how long they will delay future accessories. At this moment, I believe the P3P is now just as good if not better since it almost does everything the Solo does and a little more. Plus it's cheaper by more than $600! I'm getting my P3P tomorrow and selling my Solo so we'll see if I made the right choice. Below are some points I used in making my decision.

Solo:
• Better CPU
• More powerful motors
• Upgradability
• Better customer service

P3P:
• Better camera w/ gimbal (less lens distortion without having to mod a $500 GoPro)
• Optical flow sensor
• DJI lightbridge
• $600 less
Let me know how it goes when your shell starts cracking,,,,had a few flyaways,,,,emailed support and hadn't heard back a week later...go ahead and buy it.

Reactions: Burkeam
Additional item for the Solo Pros:
-More solid shell, It does't flex when pressing in a screw while tightening
- A lot faster
- Can fly semi aerobatic move
- Can fly with 4 camera at once
- integrate flight log with user access
- user access parameter
- The Solo does not have a better CPU it has TWO better CPUs outside of the autopilot system that run parallel scripts.
- integrated support request with log files
- no cables needed -except for charging
- upgrades are done via smart phone app
just a few.
When looking only at initial cost, camera type, 4 props and availability of gimbal the value is easily lost. If things don't go right (not a question of if but when) DJI cost of ownership is more.

Burke is biased to 3DR and own both

Reactions: Raybro
Let me know how it goes when your shell starts cracking,,,,had a few flyaways,,,,emailed support and hadn't heard back a week later...go ahead and buy it.
Not a phanboy but we will have to wait and see how 3dr's service holds up when they approach the same number of sales that the phantom 3 has. Hope they can keep the same standard of service they have now.

Not a phanboy but we will have to wait and see how 3dr's service holds up when they approach the same number of sales that the phantom 3 has. Hope they can keep the same standard of service they have now.
I bought a Phantom 1 way back in the late winter of 2013 when they were still new to the market (seems a lot longer than 2.5 years ago), DJI had no customer service back then. I had a faulty USB cable and had to exchange the P1 since I couldn't update it. Fortunately I purchased int through Amazon so I didn't have to deal with DJI - but there was zero way to even contact them for trouble shooting back then. As DJI has grown, their customer service has remained the same.
3DR is off to a far better start, but we will see if they reach the volume DJI does, how they evolve with growth.

Reactions: Burkeam and sgs182

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pvt solo