HELP! Solo versus Phantom

I'm looking at my receipt .. And this is how much I paid just for my Solo here in Canada at my local Best Buy

$1,299 x 14% sales tax =.$1,480,86
Wow, that just amazes me. Sorry to hear that.

I think why he sounds like he paid more for his solo..it could be he lives in Canada like my self..we pay 14% sales tax..and then add the Exchange rate of the currency of the USD to CAD...

I was a little perplexed by the numbers too. But, I realize Del is probably right about it being in Canadia Dollars. So C$2000 for Solo and Gimbal would better compare to C$1650+ for a P3P. Savings doesn't seem so big now. I would personally take the GoPro out of the equation since it is incredibly useful on it's own.

I was a little perplexed by the numbers too. But, I realize Del is probably right about it being in Canadia Dollars. So C$2000 for Solo and Gimbal would better compare to C$1650+ for a P3P. Savings doesn't seem so big now. I would personally take the GoPro out of the equation since it is incredibly useful on it's own.
I agree with the GoPro being useful on its own. I love putting it in the waterproof case, attaching it to a "stick" and submerging it in tidal pools or mountain streams.
I have a Yuneec Q500 and I can slide its camera off and mount it on the hand held gimbal that was free with the purchase, and walk around filming. It would be cool if DJI would come up with something like that to add some versatility to their camera. I've seen people walk around with their Phantom, using it as a hand held gimbal - but the people they film are laughing so hard at the sight of them walking around holding a drone out in front of them like a baby with a stinky diaper that it just sort of ruins the mood...;)

I agree with the GoPro being useful on its own. I love putting it in the waterproof case, attaching it to a "stick" and submerging it in tidal pools or mountain streams.
I have a Yuneec Q500 and I can slide its camera off and mount it on the hand held gimbal that was free with the purchase, and walk around filming. It would be cool if DJI would come up with something like that to add some versatility to their camera. I've seen people walk around with their Phantom, using it as a hand held gimbal - but the people they film are laughing so hard at the sight of them walking around holding a drone out in front of them like a baby with a stinky diaper that it just sort of ruins the mood...;)
Lol darn stinky babies

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Raybro and LouGeese
honestly this guy just sounds like he's trolling...

If he's not.. If you can't see the value that the Solo and GoPro give you then I agree you should return it. There are a lot of awesome things about the phantom. There are a lot of awesome things about the Solo.

I chose the Solo because:
  • Customer Support, night and day better than the non-existant DJI
  • Smart Shots (Sure Phantom is getting some but I think it's a safe bet 3DR will always lead here)
  • Availability of Solo items (go over to BBY, as a disclaimer I work for BBY dotCom)
  • I already had a GoPro; it's a multi-use device. I take it wakesurfing with me every weekend. Even if you didn't already have one, it's a multi-use device unlike the phantom camera.
  • USA Based
  • Mission Planner
  • Open Source nature of it
  • I'm buying into the modularity and "future proof" they are selling

Did the launch go perfect, no. Not many launches do. Even the biggest companies like Apple botch launches. IMO, 3DR kept communicating, supporting customers and iterating on their product to make it better. Some people are angry because they think they deserved to be hand held through everything. Some companies would have just pushed the product out regardless and then released a fast follower v2. IMO, 3DR wants nothing but the best and to offer rock solid customer support while doing it. Grow with them and help improve the hobby or buy DJI and be angry when something cracks, flys-away or the next model comes out and they forget about you.

Yeah, I've just scratched the surface with GoPro. Been obsessed lately with the great time-lapse capabilities. It was the flexibility of being able to use it on/off drone that help sell me on Solo. Just gave me a good excuse to buy one. I'm still waiting for a motor pod (shakes fist in 3dr's general direction) so I've bided my time playing with GoPro.

Love the idea of the underwater stuff, have been thinking of trying some of that too. A photographer friend said he uses a simple monopod to get great low angle stuff.

The more I play with it, the more I love it.

Reactions: GoodnNuff
honestly this guy just sounds like he's trolling...

If he's not.. If you can't see the value that the Solo and GoPro give you then I agree you should return it. There are a lot of awesome things about the phantom. There are a lot of awesome things about the Solo.

I chose the Solo because:
  • Customer Support, night and day better than the non-existant DJI
  • Smart Shots (Sure Phantom is getting some but I think it's a safe bet 3DR will always lead here)
  • Availability of Solo items (go over to BBY, as a disclaimer I work for BBY dotCom)
  • I already had a GoPro; it's a multi-use device. I take it wakesurfing with me every weekend. Even if you didn't already have one, it's a multi-use device unlike the phantom camera.
  • USA Based
  • Mission Planner
  • Open Source nature of it
  • I'm buying into the modularity and "future proof" they are selling

Did the launch go perfect, no. Not many launches do. Even the biggest companies like Apple botch launches. IMO, 3DR kept communicating, supporting customers and iterating on their product to make it better. Some people are angry because they think they deserved to be hand held through everything. Some companies would have just pushed the product out regardless and then released a fast follower v2. IMO, 3DR wants nothing but the best and to offer rock solid customer support while doing it. Grow with them and help improve the hobby or buy DJI and be angry when something cracks, flys-away or the next model comes out and they forget about you.
I agree. He came and left.....I took the bait.:confused:

My first thought was troll too which is why I said just read through the forum, I'm usually not that there's already a thread for that it's been discussed a hole. Disclaimer I'm sorry to that a hole no offense somebody has to say it or we'd never get anywhere in forums.

Ouch, I didn't realize you guys had that high of sales tax? Is that across the nation?
Would it save to drive into the states to buy it? Living in Seattle, and depending on whose economy is stronger at the moment, we either drive to BC to save on shopping, or they drive down here to save $$.
Not the entire nation. We only pay 5% in Alberta. But with the US dollar being very strong right now the exchange rate hurts. We've stopped visiting the U.S. right now

Yea that's what I figured too, ouch man that's crap. Does it really add up to this big of an increase overall
But then the Phantom would have the same tax, and then the numbers don't add up again. At least not for a Phantom Pro that does even 4K like the GoPro 4. And yet he knows about the (not yet released) Phantom updates, and assumes they will be the same as Solo. Hmmmm...

There are reasons a rational person could prefer a Phantom. I need it NOW, and I don't care about service. Or I don't care about the advanced operating modes (smart shots, autonomous flight, etc.). Or even I don't care that I will have to buy a new drone to upgrade the camera. But this person is either trying REALLY hard to irrationally talk themselves into a Phantom, or is a shill.

Given either. Buy the Phantom. You will fit in better.

But then the Phantom would have the same tax, and then the numbers don't add up again. At least not for a Phantom Pro that does even 4K like the GoPro 4. And yet he knows about the (not yet released) Phantom updates, and assumes they will be the same as Solo. Hmmmm...

There are reasons a rational person could prefer a Phantom. I need it NOW, and I don't care about service. Or I don't care about the advanced operating modes (smart shots, autonomous flight, etc.). Or even I don't care that I will have to buy a new drone to upgrade the camera. But this person is either trying REALLY hard to irrationally talk themselves into a Phantom, or is a shill.

Given either. Buy the Phantom. You will fit in better.

Reasoning totally right on Phantom, if willing to forgo certain things, it's fine.

The numbers are not high because of sucky 14%, many state and local taxes in US add up to 9% or more. The difference, as Rsfitz pointed out, is the strong US dollar. Canadian Dollars trade at 0.75 to 1, hence inflated numbers. Still paying same equivalent money. Currently US$1398+tax Solo/Gimbal = Can$1856.19+tax

Not the entire nation. We only pay 5% in Alberta. But with the US dollar being very strong right now the exchange rate hurts. We've stopped visiting the U.S. right now
Sorry, going Off Topic for a moment...
Do you happen to know where Stirling, Alberta is? It is a National Historical Site Of Canada (I believe that is the official designation), and was founded by my Great Grandfather.

Reasoning totally right on Phantom, if willing to forgo certain things, it's fine.

The numbers are not high because of sucky 14%, many state and local taxes in US add up to 9% or more. The difference, as Rsfitz pointed out, is the strong US dollar. Canadian Dollars trade at 0.75 to 1, hence inflated numbers. Still paying same equivalent money. Currently US$1398+tax Solo/Gimbal = Can$1856.19+tax
But wouldn't the Phantom have the same adder? I also can't count the GoPro. I didn't have to buy it. I already own 5 :).

When we went to get a drone, my friend got a phantom and I, waiting to do things differently than all others, got Solo.
So far: I paid $1,400 for the drone, $500 for the Gopro, and will need to pay around $600 to get the gimbal to me. That's a total of $2,500.
My friend simply paid $1,300 for the whole 4K Phantom.

Phantom can do everything Solo can, but also it has this IOC option where your right and left will always be right and left, no matter how Phantom spins in the air.
Phantom has a longer range. Connects the phone with cable to save on battery.
AND, the gopro cannot use any of its protection boxes, and in case of a mild crash, or sand soil takeoff and landing... it will be heavily damaged.

AND to top it all, the newest update of Phantom gave it a follow me option, and an orbit option, as well as the "draw route" thing on gps to predefine the flight route of the drone.

So far I'm considering returning my Solo, or selling it, and getting a Phantom.

Can anyone tell me why I shouldn't do that? and how Solo is at least equal to Phantom?
Don't fool yourself....my P3P can not fly as far out as my solo....and at least i now when my solo loses signal it will come home......i'm not that confident about my P3P...for that reason i'm afraid to test my P3P!~

Reactions: Raybro
Don't fool yourself....my P3P can not fly as far out as my solo....and at least i now when my solo loses signal it will come home......i'm not that confident about my P3P...for that reason i'm afraid to test my P3P!~
Feel the same way about my p2, I enjoy it but I've had a couple issues that have made me always hope and pray it will come home if it drops signal. Part of why I wanted solo with fly away warranty takes some of the stress out of ranged flights.

Reactions: thetac
I would say you are the first I have heard that gets more range out of a solo than p3.

I would say you are the first I have heard that gets more range out of a solo than p3.
I do have an upgraded antenna and wifi...but i've seen 9000 feet! I would be scared to death to send my P3P our that far....and i don't know if there is any upgrades available that would take it out that far....another thing i like about the solo....lot's of people working on making a better machine...not only 3DR....I do love my P3P for certain things....distance flying is not one of them

Last edited:
Yea, the Solo is a cool bird for sure. But there is no doubt out of the box the P3 is the winner for distance. I have been about 4500 stock with the Solo and 2.1 miles with DBS antenna. But the P3 has been much further with the same DBS panel.

Reactions: thetac

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
No idea