Hdmi output and OSD

Reaction score
Does anyone know how to get the Solo osd on a monitor or goggles from the hdmi output on the controler/ transmitter? I have a HD Headplay set of goggles with a load of realistestate and seeing the osd would be the icing on the cake! Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, hopefully I'm just missing something simple.
Thanks, Terry.

Reactions: danny damveld
There's an HDMI port on the front of the controller. I've heard that's where people plug their devices.

Thanks I'm using it though I don't get the osd readings from it, will try out put from my tablet and see how that goes, thanks.

If that is how you plug goggles into the controller, that means you don't get the telemetry in them? That would be kinda scary flying "blind".

I was going to buy a set of goggles to try to fly Solo. So you saying it's not the same display/output you get looking at your tablet/phone? Just raw GoPro video? You 'could' fly with that, but like others said I want my telemetry data overlaid also!

I've tried my head play hd out of the hdmi port on controller. Works well (and turn GoPro osd off), same issue though.

Also looking forward to trying plane mode, should be very immersive

I too am going to try a mhl 3 usb to hdmi adapter to get some telemetry.
I'm going to try this one though I have a tab s 8.4. I've seen them in the USA on eBay as well.

MHL 3.0 Cable (Micro USB to HDMI Adapter) - Black

I am enjoying there is less delay with the controller hdmi, so I fully expect normal delay plus once using the tablet.

It's a real pain pushing your goggles up to check battery, distance, signal Etc.

i am interested in this as well. i hate how i cannot see as well with my phone and or tablet. however i would like telemetry as well.

Well. That worked :) I was kind of thinking it may not for some reason.

The marketing for the adapter led me to beleive the microusb port on the adapter was only so you could charge the tablet as well whilst outputting mhl/hdmi. Makes sense.
Turns out it needs that power to operate at all, it does not draw from the tablets microusb output :(

So after testing with the tv on wall power, I strapped an external phone battery charger and small cable I had lying around, and its all good.

The lag is not much more, seems similar to looking at the tablet. Its definetly not as good as the hdmi out, so software extended telemetry over hdmi would be much better.

The resolution is not as clear on the googles as looking at a tablet, but still very useable and immersive.

I tell you, its night and day with the telemetry, battery, signal, sats. I ran a full test flight and didn't take the googles off to look at the screen once. For some reason it made me want to explore more with the drone vs squinting at the tablet in the sunlight which definetly takes you out of the birds perspective in comparison.

You will need to be very careful with cable management to prevent any duress on the hdmi adapter out the side of the tablet. Mine was already pulled loose before I started and it was brand new (admittedly it came in a package that was resealable).

I'll check with the supplier and get them to swap it / check with their others make sure its not a design/batch fault with this particular one. My guess is any mhl hdmi adapter will work. Not even sure if the tabs 8.4 is making use of the mhl3 spec. But I guess it doesn't hurt to stick with the latest spec.

View media item 170

Last edited:
Well. That worked :) I was kind of thinking it may not for some reason.

The marketing for the adapter led me to beleive the microusb port on the adapter was only so you could charge the tablet as well whilst outputting mhl/hdmi. Makes sense.
Turns out it needs that power to operate at all, it does not draw from the tablets microusb output :(

So after testing with the tv on wall power, I strapped an external phone battery charger and small cable I had lying around, and its all good.

The lag is not much more, seems similar to looking at the tablet. Its definetly not as good as the hdmi out, so software extended telemetry over hdmi would be much better.

The resolution is not as clear on the googles as looking at a tablet, but still very useable and immersive.

I tell you, its night and day with the telemetry, battery, signal, sats. I ran a full test flight and didn't take the googles off to look at the screen once. For some reason it made me want to explore more with the drone vs squinting at the tablet in the sunlight which definetly takes you out of the birds perspective in comparison.

You will need to be very careful with cable management to prevent any duress on the hdmi adapter out the side of the tablet. Mine was already pulled loose before I started and it was brand new (admittedly it came in a package that was resealable).

I'll check with the supplier and get them to swap it / check with their others make sure its not a design/batch fault with this particular one. My guess is any mhl hdmi adapter will work. Not even sure if the tabs 8.4 is making use of the mhl3 spec. But I guess it doesn't hurt to stick with the latest spec.

View media item 170

You state you are using the microusb connector on your tablet to feed your headset? I would think it would be the microHDMI connector on the tablet. Please clarify, as I'm really interest in your findings, just not real clear to me just what was hooked up to what.

Cheers

You state you are using the microusb connector on your tablet to feed your headset? I would think it would be the microHDMI connector on the tablet. Please clarify, as I'm really interest in your findings, just not real clear to me just what was hooked up to what.

Cheers

Hi chip,

My tablet doesn't have a hdmi out (many of the sub 9" ones don't) so I used the mhl 3 micro usb to hdmi adapter pictured and linked a few posts back. That adapter also needs to be powered (via separate microusb as well).

Tablet - microusb - adapter - HDMI input on goggles
And
Power brick - microusb - adapter

Hi chip,

My tablet doesn't have a hdmi out (many of the sub 9" ones don't) so I used the mhl 3 micro usb to hdmi adapter pictured and linked a few posts back. That adapter also needs to be powered (via separate microusb as well).

Tablet - microusb - adapter - HDMI input on goggles
And
Power brick - microusb - adapter

Thanks mate for the update. As soon as can afford it, I'm going to get some goggles. We used some military hi-tech ones when I was designing flight simulators. Any suggestions on what brand of goggles to look at now? I have seen an article in the November AMA magazine about the Headplay googles. As soon as $ allows, will possibly be giving these a try.

Cheers

Fly Safe
Fly #3DR
Fly Solo

Note the supplier sent me out a new cable. They are an Australian supplier, so those in the USA are better off searching the description of the cable on eBay or a local supplier, but for those in Australia. No issues with that supplier or batch, isolated incident. It did take a phone call, my email to them was buried I guess

I have FatShark Dominator HD2 goggles and a Sony Xperia Z4 tablet. I've connected them up with a MHL adaptor but get nothing in the goggles. FatShark support noted that the goggles need a 720p input on the HDMI. I guess the Sony's HDMI output is 1080p and not compatible.

Anyone else got this problem?

Does anyone know how to get the Solo osd on a monitor or goggles from the hdmi output on the controler/ transmitter? I have a HD Headplay set of goggles with a load of realistestate and seeing the osd would be the icing on the cake! Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, hopefully I'm just missing something simple.
Thanks, Terry.
Hi everybody i am Danny From the netherlands and i am new here today .
I go buy the 3dr solo drone complete over 2 weeks and i have get contact with the 3dr company yesterday also with thesame questions about the HDMI port on the 3dr solo remote .
It is posible to plugin a second displayscreen or videoclases/videogoggles with a HDMI cabel . The guy on the phone have also tolt my that wenn You go plugin your 3dr solo remote on a second screen or tv than You can learn to fly with solo in a Simulator program befor You go to fly for real with 3dr solo drone . But 3dr company are wurking on a Simulator program for the 3dr solo drone for in the future on it . But that is what i have understood From the story what the guy From the 3dr company have tolt my . Greetings Danny damveld From the netherlands.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc