GPS Vs Non GPS for New Pilots

I will try to download logs. But doubting its bad sensor as its two Solos.

However I will add on my last battery I used about 1/2 hour ago I tried it again and dropped in elevation as before. So throttled it back from 52mph down to 30 mph and elevation maintained. So its speed related for sure.

And in answer to your question it starts dropping right away. Assume, I need data flash logs from the Solo as the info is not in the normal logs?

@Dunginhawk , Ryan didn't you experience the same?

I will try to download logs. But doubting its bad sensor as its two Solos.

However I will add on my last battery I used about 1/2 hour ago I tried it again and dropped in elevation as before. So throttled it back from 52mph down to 30 mph and elevation maintained. So its speed related for sure.

And in answer to your question it starts dropping right away. Assume, I need data flash logs from the Solo as the info is not in the normal logs?

@Dunginhawk , Ryan didn't you experience the same?
Yes, I believe the DF logs are what is needed. Regardless of speed though, once your speed drops to a point that the quad can climb, it should return to the initial Alt Hold altitude, as it should still be trying to maintain that number. If not, then something else is going on that your DF logs should show.

@David Weston, Your solo is flying well. Could you try manual mode and speed runs to see if it maintains altitude?

Maybe you could look at your flash logs and graph alt_error and GPS alttude vs Bar?

I obviously dont know what I am doing with Mission planner. It doesn't help that for whatever reason it does not like my graphics card or something the menus overlap and are funky in the log browser.

I thought I would put this out there for the newer pilots to show the Solo and how it reacts in Fly vs Manual and Stabilize modes. My aim in doing this is to put some minds at ease and to hopefully get some of the new pilots to use the non GPS modes more. For one, there is no GPS glitches in
Fly Safe..
Jubal
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Thanks for this, very helpful

I obviously dont know what I am doing with Mission planner. It doesn't help that for whatever reason it does not like my graphics card or something the menus overlap and are funky in the log browser.
That's strange. I've used MP for about 3 years at home and at the office and haven't heard of that one before. Can try to lower your screen res and see what it does? I'm currently running at 1920x1080. Not sure if it is formatted for any higher.

Well as you can see it covers the legend and horizontal scale. Two different PCs.

Also it does not appear you can scale two things separately.

As an example showing speed and elevation you cant see the speed really as its on a 400' elevation scale.

2015-07-26_20-23-22.jpg

Yeah, that happens when you try to display 2 items with totally different scales. Can see the big drop though, which is indicative of something else going on. Did you get a chance to look through that link? You should be able to show an Alt-error and barometric vs GPS alt.

I started to read it but got distracted. I did text Ryan @Dunginhawk and he said as soon as he increases speed his falls off dangerously fast too.

It is not very usable in that mode for me as I cant trust it. 100' in 8 seconds. LOL

Reactions: jjs357
Yep, that's a hell of a rate! I'll crank up the speed and try more tests. But at 40 it was right on the money.

Windex if at speed there us turbulence inside the body pulsing baro or something

Sorry its taken me so long to reply... When you take a 4 and 1.5 year old to the zoo and return home sans nap, your entire day/evening is RUINED :)

So back to the lecture at hand .. (eazy e, RIP)

Yes, I experience the exact same thing as Rich does. For me however, it will happen in GPS mode too because ive modified the params for top speed etc that usually only exist in Manual mode.
Anything for me, over about 35-40 mph and ill drop like a stone, and its VERY noticeable.
However, the pixhawk is technically doing its job (sort of) because when i let off the throttle it levels out and curves up like a banana back to the original elevation.

Basically the pix cant compensate enough for the pitch of the quad when its going that fast, but when it stops it pulls itself back to altitude again.

Maybe tomorrow ill see if i can capture some video of it happening.

Sorry its taken me so long to reply... When you take a 4 and 1.5 year old to the zoo and return home sans nap, your entire day/evening is RUINED :)

So back to the lecture at hand .. (eazy e, RIP)

Yes, I experience the exact same thing as Rich does. For me however, it will happen in GPS mode too because ive modified the params for top speed etc that usually only exist in Manual mode.
Anything for me, over about 35-40 mph and ill drop like a stone, and its VERY noticeable.
However, the pixhawk is technically doing its job (sort of) because when i let off the throttle it levels out and curves up like a banana back to the original elevation.

Basically the pix cant compensate enough for the pitch of the quad when its going that fast, but when it stops it pulls itself back to altitude again.

Maybe tomorrow ill see if i can capture some video of it happening.
Definitely know what you mean about the kids. Went through it with kids, now grand kids...
You are correct about if you have done any mods and now full forward pitch is more than the quad can handle (not having the power to both maintain lift while pitching too far forward) then letting off it should still return to altitude. But Rich is having a different issue. I believe his is dropping like a rock and not going back up.

You mentioned 'let off the throttle' but assume you were talking right stick?

I never really gave it much of chance to climb back up. If it does it was not noticeable climb. Mine is fine in GPS fly mode but I am limited to 30-33 ish too.

If you Google the issue there are a lot of issues of the same. I might fill out a support ticket to get an official response.

I thought I would put this out there for the newer pilots to show the Solo and how it reacts in Fly vs Manual and Stabilize modes. My aim in doing this is to put some minds at ease and to hopefully get some of the new pilots to use the non GPS modes more. For one, there is no GPS glitches in these modes and 2nd, it will make them a much better pilot. The other thing I am trying to encourage, particularly for the newer pilots, it to make every effort to fly in an open area and resist the urge to take it out in the yard of your crowded neighborhood. I know that can be difficult for some, but it really would cut down on the accidents or flying into something before you can react. Also, with the GPS issues of the Solo, it becomes particularly more important to have an open area and get used to the other modes. I'm not trying to preach to anyone here, just trying to help and save a few people the headache of trying to find parts on such a new machine.

Fly Safe..
Jubal
Great advice. One thing you may want to note is that HOME will not work while it's in manual and other advanced modes. Rule of thumb is to never lose visual sight of the aircraft but sometimes it happens and that's when you need to enable FLY/GPS mode so it will return to it's home point providing you set one while it was in GPS mode. I am assuming it buffers that info even when your switching in and out of different flying modes so it can always return Home.

Great advice. One thing you may want to note is that HOME will not work while it's in manual and other advanced modes. Rule of thumb is to never lose visual sight of the aircraft but sometimes it happens and that's when you need to enable FLY/GPS mode so it will return to it's home point providing you set one while it was in GPS mode. I am assuming it buffers that info even when your switching in and out of different flying modes so it can always return Home.
Correct, Manual is not USING GPS but the GPS is still working the whole time in the background. You can hit the Home key directly from manual mode without hitting Fly first. You could be flying in manual mode and drop your transmitter and break it or run over it with a truck, it will still RTH on loss of signal as well.

Hey Jubair. Thanks for this man. Just what I needed as have Ben flying in GPS mode so far and a bit nervous to cut the umbilical chord. That said, having read your posts and watched the video, cannot wait to get up in the morning for my dawn mission in manual mode. Thanks again.

Sure thing SnowMonkey. Just get up about 10-15ft, and hit the Manual button witout moving the sticks at all. Then just start slowly moving the right stick and get the feel for it.

Have Fun!

Just posted my first ever fly with a copter and it was fly:manual, didn't go well, I posted my experience in the other thread GPS? "We Don't need No Stinking' GPS"

I thought I would put this out there for the newer pilots to show the Solo and how it reacts in Fly vs Manual and Stabilize modes. My aim in doing this is to put some minds at ease and to hopefully get some of the new pilots to use the non GPS modes more. For one, there is no GPS glitches in these modes and 2nd, it will make them a much better pilot. The other thing I am trying to encourage, particularly for the newer pilots, it to make every effort to fly in an open area and resist the urge to take it out in the yard of your crowded neighborhood. I know that can be difficult for some, but it really would cut down on the accidents or flying into something before you can react. Also, with the GPS issues of the Solo, it becomes particularly more important to have an open area and get used to the other modes. I'm not trying to preach to anyone here, just trying to help and save a few people the headache of trying to find parts on such a new machine.

Fly Safe..
Jubal

Jubalr,

Great vid! I've been flying APM's for quite some time and just got my Solo yesterday. What's awkward for me is the spring-loaded throttle - the throttle channel on my DX6i isn't. I'm a little hesitant using stabilize because of this and was wondering how you thought it felt. Also, is throttle at hover calibrated to 50% for the solo?

Thanks!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44