GPS Vs Non GPS for New Pilots

Reaction score
I thought I would put this out there for the newer pilots to show the Solo and how it reacts in Fly vs Manual and Stabilize modes. My aim in doing this is to put some minds at ease and to hopefully get some of the new pilots to use the non GPS modes more. For one, there is no GPS glitches in these modes and 2nd, it will make them a much better pilot. The other thing I am trying to encourage, particularly for the newer pilots, it to make every effort to fly in an open area and resist the urge to take it out in the yard of your crowded neighborhood. I know that can be difficult for some, but it really would cut down on the accidents or flying into something before you can react. Also, with the GPS issues of the Solo, it becomes particularly more important to have an open area and get used to the other modes. I'm not trying to preach to anyone here, just trying to help and save a few people the headache of trying to find parts on such a new machine.

Fly Safe..
Jubal
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Thanks for the video and tips. Great for the new drone pilots ;)

Thanks Xtreme. Hope it helps a few out and encourages them.

I thought I would put this out there for the newer pilots to show the Solo and how it reacts in Fly vs Manual and Stabilize modes. My aim in doing this is to put some minds at ease and to hopefully get some of the new pilots to use the non GPS modes more. For one, there is no GPS glitches in these modes and 2nd, it will make them a much better pilot. The other thing I am trying to encourage, particularly for the newer pilots, it to make every effort to fly in an open area and resist the urge to take it out in the yard of your crowded neighborhood. I know that can be difficult for some, but it really would cut down on the accidents or flying into something before you can react. Also, with the GPS issues of the Solo, it becomes particularly more important to have an open area and get used to the other modes. I'm not trying to preach to anyone here, just trying to help and save a few people the headache of trying to find parts on such a new machine.

Fly Safe..
Jubal
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Ok Jubalr,
Next show us how to do a a roll and a loop. I'm pretty comfy with manual mode but have not tried any acrobatics.....

Last edited:
Reactions: Motoguy199
Thanks Xtreme. Hope it helps a few out and encourages them.

It helped me as new to drones. Used to fly Nitro heli's over 10 years ago and then switched over to 1/8th buggies back on land as had a few crash's. Burnt through cash fast. Been flying with GPS so far as not wanted to destroy the drone in the first few days. But this has made me want to fly manual the next time out.

Do we need GPS lock before we can switch to manual mode?
Hey Steve, No not at all. In fact, I have flown inside my office building on bad weather. Hold the throttle all the way down and press manual. Then hold Fly to start the motor. From there just ease up on the throttle. You don't have to have satellites/GPS at all just to go fly like we always did before GPS was on R/C craft. You just won't have the smart shots or RTH (or the GPS glitches).
Fly Safe..
Jubal

Reactions: SteveReno
Do we need GPS lock before we can switch to manual mode?
No, I don't believe so but it would be handy to know you have the Sats if you need to switch to normal fly mode.
I normally take off in fly mode then switch to manual as I have been learning that mode.

It helped me as new to drones. Used to fly Nitro heli's over 10 years ago and then switched over to 1/8th buggies back on land as had a few crash's. Burnt through cash fast. Been flying with GPS so far as not wanted to destroy the drone in the first few days. But this has made me want to fly manual the next time out.
Glad to hear it! Just take it slow. Start out while in Fly mode while it is hovering. Then hit the manual button and slowly move the stick around to see how it feels. If you get uncomfortable, just release the sticks or tap 'Fly or Pause.
Flew Nitros in the 80s to early 90s. Flew for Miniature Aircraft. Not sure if they were still around when you were flying 10 years ago. Manual will come easy to you after flying nitro Helis!

Hey Steve, No not at all. In fact, I have flown inside my office building on bad weather. Hold the throttle all the way down and press manual. Then hold Fly to start the motor. From there just ease up on the throttle. You don't have to have satellites/GPS at all just to go fly like we always did before GPS was on R/C craft. You just won't have the smart shots or RTH (or the GPS glitches).
Fly Safe..
Jubal
Jubalr,

Thanks for the info. To me 3DR & everyone else seems to be "Smart" driven to the Solo. Not too much info. as the way you described it. My hero4 Blk will be here tomorrow, then Solo next day. B&H Tight lipped about my gimbal. I trust 3DR to put out a product that will at the lease be competition to others manufacturers of LUMV. Service seems to be good.

Thanks

Great post. I am brand new to drones and after watching all the crash videos I have been very leery to try manual mode. After watching this I will find a very large field and give it a try. Thanks.

Great post. I am brand new to drones and after watching all the crash videos I have been very leery to try manual mode. After watching this I will find a very large field and give it a try. Thanks.
Sure. Take it easy and start slow. You will enjoy being the pilot..
Fly Safe..
Jubal

Great video Jub . Not only video but content.

Have a couple things I want to add (of course)!

First off, my Solo will not fly manual mode at full speed without losing altitude. This is my second solo and neither of them would hold altitude and I know others with the same issue. These are all distance runs and I have yet to launch the Solo anywhere from home so I have not flew just 500-1000 back and forth so have no results under those circumstances. I need to fly 1000' to get beyond trees :rolleyes:

And the other thing you did not mention wind that I remember. If you are flying in a 20 MPH wind (flyer beware) when you let off the stick the Solo is moving 20mph in the direction of the wind. Winds aloft can be much higher than windows on the ground.

EDIT - scratch this as may not be correct
One nice thing about GPS on these modern birds is if you pick a visual line for home via your device and push the stick full forward and keep it locked there with your thumb it will fly a perfect line as if its on a mission. In manual mode you are going to have to compensate if you have wind.
/EDIT

This is more noticeable for guys like me that usually fly beyond visual.

Like I said great video. As you said everyone should fly their Solo in manual at minimum, hit RTH, etc under controlled situations for WHEN (not if) you need it.

Last edited:
Reactions: SteveReno
Are the people who say the Solo is losing altitude possibly getting tricked by the optical illusion that makes it look like your drone is losing altitude as it flys away from you?

Not trying to insult anyone here... I just know that even today, when doing a low pass across water or grass, sometimes I am convinced its going to ground (or water), even though intellectually I know its at the same altitude. Its hard to fight that instinct, but I haven't experienced any loss of altitude so far on my Solo.

I need to remember to watch this when I get off work..

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Are the people who say the Solo is losing altitude possibly getting tricked by the optical illusion that makes it look like your drone is losing altitude as it flys away from you?

Not trying to insult anyone here... I just know that even today, when doing a low pass across water or grass, sometimes I am convinced its going to ground (or water), even though intellectually I know its at the same altitude. Its hard to fight that instinct, but I haven't experienced any loss of altitude so far on my Solo.

Nope watching app numbers. Can't go by fpv either as camera looking at ground makes it "feel" worse.

Great video Steve. Not only video but content.
One nice thing about GPS on these modern birds is if you pick a visual line for home via your device and push the stick full forward and keep it locked there with your thumb it will fly a perfect line as if its on a mission. In manual mode you are going to have to compensate if you have wind.
That's interesting Rich, but unless the white one is doing something different than other systems either you are flying it or GPS is. If you are making inputs with the right stick, then you are flying it and GPS is not doing anything. Otherwise you couldn't fly it at all in a GPS mode since GPS is flying it. 'Picking a visual line' means nothing to GPS unless it is put in as some sort of coordinate. However, if you are using a visual from a display that is showing home then as you fly toward the home point you are compensating for the wind by keeping it pointed toward the home point. But that has nothing to do with GPS. Or am I misunderstanding what you are saying? (likely).

Apparently my spell check thinks "Jub" is Steve. Sorry.

In my experience (and I am not going to bet my life on it) in GPS mode right stick forwards on the Phantom will always fly really close to that visual line home as long as I got it started the right direction. As if it knows I trying to fly straight based right stick forward only. Anytime I have done this the bird has came home right overhead.

Anytime I have done this in manual if flies back basically straight except I can often miss by a few hundred feed based on the wind.

Now if this is not the case I stand corrected. But it sure seems that way to me.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andre felipe colorado