Gps longevity

Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm new to the whole gps discussion and drones. I'm curious though from what I've read, (and please by all means correct and or update me at anytime) it appears that 3dr chose the gps unit in use because it would lock onto only visable US gps satellites, and provide a more accurate reading of what is available. Yet it seems that there is a debate about how "strong" the card is I'm aquiring and maintaining gps lock.

I guess my question is, what is the longevity of the current card? How much tweaking in updates can they do to the current system to improve performance? Who feels the current card falls short and why? What are the pros and cons if you will. I'm assuming the card has a dedicated antenna for itself? I'm also curious about gps in solo and other drones compared to phones, tablets and so on. While cell towers I know are used to help improve location, it APPEARS that gps In these devices are less affected by environmental obstacles such as trees and so on.

Like any system everything has its ups and downs, there seems to be a lot of debate over this, and in regards to drones it seems to be all over the place. Just looking for some schooling and insight.

Bish,

Some really good questions you've posed. I don't have any answers for you but after reading your post a while ago, I was hoping to see some answers as well. Great questions, maybe we'll see some answers tomorrow.

Jerry

Reactions: Bishamoten
Well I haven't had any of the GPS issues that people have discussed. Seems like that has really died down on these boards. I guess the software updates that came out over the last 3 months have helped.

Yes, the GPS on all drones is strictly GPS, not assisted GPS like you get on a phone that pings cell towers. Assisted GPS works great near civilization, but in some rural areas you get some weird behavior. For example, I have a Verizon Android phone that is often MILES off in Northern Vermont. Eventually it finds the right location, but it can take awhile. You wouldn't want a drone to use assistedGPS in areas like that. Plain old GPS is slower to get a lock than phones in areas with lots of towers (and wifi), but it's more reliable.

Some newer GPS receivers pick up both US GPS and Glonass, but there are plenty of folks in that industry who will tell you that doesn't nessisarily mean you'll get a better fix. Contrary to popular belief, after a certain number, more satalites isn't always better. I know that counter intuitive, and I'm not sure I believe it myself, but I've spoken to engineers who work on GPS systems for industry who've made passionate and convincing technical arguments why. I won't even try to paraphrase their words because I'm sure I'd get it wrong... and I still have a hard time believing them. :)

Yes the GPS uses its own antenna.

Reactions: Del and Bishamoten
I guess one of the things I think about the most, and granted I don't have a gimbal as if yet; but the one thing that 3dr really touts are the smart shot features. That said while I've been working on my manual flying, I've noticed that gps drops out pretty frequently. I've done the modifications and what not, but it appears that if solo doesn't have a good view of the horizon, then gps drops. I can be in a pretty large open field, surrounded by trees. If solo drops below the tree line, with a good 100 yards on all sides of field, 8 out of 10 times gps drops.

I live in a city with a lot of greenery, so it would seem that my smart shots are limited in use. While aquiring more satellites may not be the answer, I Would think that maintaining a lock would be the primary focus. Especially when smart shots are probably your biggest selling point. I'm not disappointed in my purchase by any means, I'm trying to get a better understanding about their marketing and design/ real world results.

The problem isnt so much with the GPS, as it works. The problem lies with what in and around the solo causes interference and how much interference does it take to cause issue... some times just firing up the gopro causes loss, hitting record causes loss of a few, and even leaning over the machine as it acquires.

But according to your question, yes, Ublox Neo7M is software upgradeable , but i dont think you will see 3DR doing any software for it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig