GoPro HERO4 Black/Silver update v4.0

^not on mine, and i'm on android
weird

4k is all wide fov only
You are correct. I've saw so many resolutions/fps/fov combinations while filming that that fact slipped my mind.

The preview in 4K crops down when you hit record as well.
I didn't see any significant cropping with 4k on my screen capture video. Some minor distortion but nothing like 2.7k60 Medium.

Ok, so the zoom/crop appears to potentially be less of an issue than originally thought. I started at 4k 24fps Wide and ran down through 1080p 24fps Narrow and tested every resolution/fps/fov inbetween. Here is a photo of my testing setup/subjects.
View attachment 4132
What appears to be happening is that in 2.7k 60fps the preview resolution maintains a Wide FOV aspect even when switched to Medium. Upon recording the preview then adjusts to the actual Medium FOV. This can be seen around 1:08 in my video. There are minor adjustments to the preview screen on some other resolutions, but nothing like I was seeing at 2.7k60Medium.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Informative test, thanks.
I'm also using iPad, Love it. updated to latest from App Store. 2.4.1-6 .
Turn on my Nexus, & right away Google play telling me there is a update, "Guessing 2.4.1-6"
Updated to the point where App want's to update controller & Solo, but i'm hesitating.
Don't know if Android will overwrite 2.4.1-6 & have Android problems "if any"
Have you updated your Controller *& Solo Via a android device yet?

Informative test, thanks.
I'm also using iPad, Love it. updated to latest from App Store. 2.4.1-6 .
Turn on my Nexus, & right away Google play telling me there is a update, "Guessing 2.4.1-6"
Updated to the point where App want's to update controller & Solo, but i'm hesitating.
Don't know if Android will overwrite 2.4.1-6 & have Android problems "if any"
Have you updated your Controller *& Solo Via a android device yet?
Perhaps I'm misunderstanding how you are stating things but 2.4.1-6 is a Solo FW version number and not the Solo App version number. As of yesterday both iOS and Android Solo Apps are on a production release of 2.4.0.

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding how you are stating things but 2.4.1-6 is a Solo FW version number and not the Solo App version number. As of yesterday both iOS and Android Solo Apps are on a production release of 2.4.0.
Yes of course, both Apps 2.4 now, but Android want to update Controller & Solo, guessing F/W update?
Just wanted to know if you or anyone else have updated via a Android device & also use a iOS Device for Solo & find that iOS device changed "errors, features not available.. or ?
If this isn't clear, that ok...

Heard back again from Owen. Here's his final response:

Here is the official respond regarding the GoPro update:

The new GoPro firmware update (v4.0) is compatible with your SOLO app video feed and settings will work just fine, however, it will no longer turn on along with your SOLO unit. This is permanent and probably that functionality will not be re-enabled for the new GoPro Fw, although this is not a final decision. Besides that, there's a video codec change that alters the video feed when recording on 2.7K and 4K. It will simply distortion the image that is displayed in the app (the live feed), but the video recorded on the GoPro itself is not affected by this.
In case you want to revert firmware to v3.0 to regain old functionality, the steps to downgrade the GoPro Firmware below:
1. Download the UPDATE.zip file for your camera. GoPro Firmware
2. Extract the files with the option Extract to UPDATE
3. Insert the SD card from the GoPro into the computer
4. Copy the UPDATE folder to the microSD card
5. Insert the SD card back into the GoPro
6. Turn on the GoPro. This will perform the downgrade (the camera will restart itself about 4 times during the downgrade, this is normal).

Any other questions please let us know.

Best Regards,

Owen Torres
3DR Technical Support

Thank you Ben J, with your excellent instructions, I was able to revert my GoPro Hero4 Black to version 3, and all the reported problems with version 4 are resolved (Power on and cropped recording preview screen).

Be safe and happy landings....................

The new GoPro firmware update (v4.0) is compatible with your SOLO app video feed and settings will work just fine, however, it will no longer turn on along with your SOLO unit. This is permanent and probably that functionality will not be re-enabled for the new GoPro Fw, although this is not a final decision. Besides that, there's a video codec change that alters the video feed when recording on 2.7K and 4K. It will simply distortion the image that is displayed in the app (the live feed), but the video recorded on the GoPro itself is not affected by this.
In case you want to revert firmware to v3.0 to regain old functionality, the steps to downgrade the GoPro Firmware below:
6. Turn on the GoPro. This will perform the downgrade (the camera will restart itself about 4 times during the downgrade, this is normal).

Best Regards,

Owen Torres
3DR Technical Support

That sucks. I just upgraded to version 4.00 firmware

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fix for v4.00 fw?

I don't own a 3dr Solo but have done a ton of work with interoperability of the GoPro and our products for extreme sports. If someone is in the Phoenix/Chandler area and would like to lend me a Solo for a few hours, I could most likely build a patcher for the GoPro HERO4 v4.00 fw. Since its just the power on sequence, it seems a super simple change. If someone from 3dr wants to talk to me about this, I'm all ears. I just hate to seeing a huge customer base being alienated by GoPro.

-Trunk

Best Regards,

Owen Torres
3DR Technical Support

Last edited:

Best Regards,

Owen Torres
3DR Technical Support

Ben, your photo is gross.

hey guys does anyone have the downgrade file for the gopro hero 4 black to version 3.... i got the same email from owen but it only has the file for silver and iv searched everywhere and cant find the file for black.

thanks

hey guys does anyone have the downgrade file for the gopro hero 4 black to version 3.... i got the same email from owen but it only has the file for silver and iv searched everywhere and cant find the file for black.

thanks
Go to Post # 178 in this thread and see if that has the info you seek. That link had Black & Silver files.

ETA: What the... just checked that Black folder and the update.zip is no longer there.

Yeah I tried there and I tried the email I got from Owen can't find it anywhere... does anyone have it saved ?

I unfortunately have to buy a new GPH4B. GP will replace it at 40% off retail. Most likely it would come with the latest FW, so what is the consensus? Go back to ver 3?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc