GoPro HERO4 Black/Silver update v4.0

I'm tempted to test it this weekend. There are already settings that aren't available in the Solo app, which you just have to set manually or with the GoPro app. So I'm hoping these additional settings will work the same way.

Now, someone who knows what they're talking about needs to provide us all some input on shutter speed limits!!

Haven't tested with Solo yet. Have just done the GoPro update.

There will be questions! GoPro has not updated the user manual and the release notes are not detailed. Something now about Max ISO. Will try find time later to details settings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was just about to spend $100 on filters last night... will there be a difference?

Wait a week or so until some tests start to show up, then you can make an informed decision.

I imagine I will still be using my Polar Pro filters just using them a little different than I was and more inline with how I use them on my other cameras that I can control the shutter speed. I'm hoping this will make life easier and won't require two different mental snapshots of how my filters will perform in varying types of light conditions.

Reactions: SARDG
You can lock the shutter speed and you can lock the ISO. This will allow you to go "full manual". Also, can dial in white balance.
Hope nothing with the Solo gets broke :)

Something will get broke lol. But I haven't tested yet, I can't imagine 3DR would be prepared with an update for control over these settings in the Solo app, yet? Here's hoping it will come soon. In the meantime I'm happy setting and forgetting this during flight, it's better than nothing at all!

Will still be set n forget (hopefully) but will allow for slower shutter speeds and make it less necessary for filters to achieve that. This is good news for GoPro, seems they are opening up the camera for more uses both pro and am. Can't wait for the 5 and Karma!!!!

So far our resident crash test dummies on FB have determined it works with one exception. It will not automatically power-on when you power on the Solo. So you'd need to turn it on by hand before turning on the solo. I'm sure more to follow. Looking forward to tinkering this weekend. Hopefully they an work compatibility into the FW updates going on right now.

Firmware 4.0.0.0
Shutter: auto, 1/24, 1/48, 1/60, 1/96, 1/240 (depending on mode)
EV is disabled when shutter is in anything other than auto.
White balance: auto, 3000k, 4000k, 4800k, 5500k, 6000k, 6500k, native
ISO: Max, Lock (when shutter is not in auto)

So, you can set your iso and have that be the Max or Lock it to that iso.

Reactions: RichWest
shutter in 24fps: 1/24, 1/48, 1/96
Shutter in 30 fps: 1/30, 1/60, 1/120
Shutter in 48fps: 1/48, 1/96, 1/192
Shutter in 60fps: 1/60, 1/120, 1/240
Shutter in 90fps: 1/90, 1/180, 1/360
Shutter in 120fps: 1/120, 1/240, 1/480
You get the idea

Good news this! So for a cinematic(ish) image you can shoot 24fps, shutter 1/48 (180° shutter feel), and adjust exposure with ISO, and/or filters. You could set ISO to 800 MAX (as opposed to lock) and let the camera do the ISO adjustment while your shutter remains at 1/48. Gonna test this out!

For the uninitiated among us, can someone explain the logic behind choosing an appropriate shutter speed and ISO limit when it comes aerial video? Presume one has some ND filters too, which I would imagine are still just as necessary?

Shutter speed can be used to give an more cinematic feel as well as reduce flicker, judder, shakes, vibrations, much like a filter can.

A filter was used to darken the image so that the Hero would have to open the shutter for longer exposures. Now, that can be done with the shutter. Slower shutter means longer exposure and smother capture (in some cases).

My first experiments will be 24fps with 1/48 shutter. Logic behind this is that film and commercials are often shot at 24fps. The "general" rule of thumb for the shutter - going all the way back to early film days - is to double the fps or 1/2xfps. Basically the shutter would have 2 holes on a rotating disk that was 180° Apart.
Said another way, if fps is 24, set shutter to 1/48. Longer if you want more motion blur. Shorter if you want a more jittery staccato look. (In general)

Slower shutter means you need less light. Faster means you need more. Faster shutter in aerial would be a bad thing for filming. It would make vibrations more apparent. Slower shutter speed smoothie that apparent high frequency vibration blur out.

So if you lock in shutter speed, how do you adjust for exposure?
Before this upgrade, the shutter was in auto and adjusting to the amount of light. Now we can lock the shutter at 1/48 say and let the ISO do the adjustments if necessary. Depending on the day, you can set the ISO to 800 Max and the ISO will vary while leaving the shutter at 1/48.

Does this eliminate the need for filters? Not really. On super bright days you'll want to help cut the light just as you do now.

Using a combination of shutter speed, ISO, and filters you will be able to dial in a perfect exposure / look. If you like the way things work now, you can leave the shutter speed to auto and ISO to Max.

Just did a little test and YES you still need filters.
1080 @24fps
Shutter at 1/96 (highest - cutting most light)
ISO at 100 Max (lowest)
Was blown out here at noon in sunny Florida.
So to get to my ideal of 24fps with 1/48, I needed to throw on an ND16.

I was just about to spend $100 on filters last night... will there be a difference?

I was just about to do the same thing. Now I'm going to wait and see what others are discovering. Would be nice if we didn't have to be adding filters and deal with adding balancing weights to the gimbal.

Reactions: Matt Garcia

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc