Welcome to 3DRPilots.com

1. Sniper4you3

I'm not sure if this has been covered yet on this site, but I wasn't able to find it after doing a search, so I thought I'd ask herer. I'm new to the Solo but learning fast. As most of you know the stock pile of Solo Gimbals are dwindling down and the suppliers that have them are charging more and more everyday, even for used ones. I have an aftermarket 3 axis gimbal that I'm trying to install on my Solo. After pulling out the inside tray, found the wires, color codes and how they are market on the circuit board, but not sure of a few things, hence the reason for posting this thread. I have an aftermarket GoPro (Chinese knock off) that works fine with the Solo's HDMI cable and the stock Solo GoPro anti vib mount, video shows on my phone just fine during flight. I'd like to wire another HDMI or MicroUSB (like on the Solo Gimbal) so I can just plug in my aftermarket GoPro (knockoff) and use my aftermarket 3 axis gimbal. I figured out most of the wires so far (BATT, RX, TX, GND, 5v) for hooking up the aftermarket gimbal, but not sure about the D+, D-, and GND. I think those wires (BLU, PUR, & BRN) are the video or microusb input cable to the GoPro on a stock Solo Gimbal. I not sure if those are the wires that move the Pitch of the stock Solo Gimbal. Perhaps the UART4 RX and UART4 TX move the pitch of the gimbal. Has anyone else tried to figure out this wiring for an aftermarket Gimbal? Thanks so much for any help. Below I've listed the wires, colors and what they say on my Solo's circuit board.

Solo Gimbal Wires
    RED - Gimbal batt
    WHT - UART4 RX (not sure what UART4 mean?)
    GRN - UART4 TX (not sure what UART4 mean?)
    BLK - Gimbal GND
    YEL - Gimbal 5v (not sure what this wire is for, I'm guessing its for the gimbal controller)
    BLU - GoPro - D+
    PUR - GoPro - D-
    BRN - GoPro - GND

JoKeR likes this.
  2. Mike Holfield

Have you searched the open source doc's?

3. pyrate

Jonathan over on the mod group just got a storm working and is now thinking of building a cable for solo

4. Mike Holfield

so if there's a cable and diagram for the connections, then that would make it possible to add new gimbals/camera options?

5. pyrate

He already did, he made a storm32 based printed gimbal and has it working with solo smart shots

Mike Holfield likes this.
  6. Sniper4you3

Pyrate - Thanks man, I'll see if I can link up with Jonathan in the mod group like you said.

Mike H. - That's what I'm trying to figure out and/or make happen. It's ridiculous how expensive some of the stock Solo Gimbals are getting. Plus it's mainly made for a GoPro, which I don't own ( Too expensive as well ). If I can figure out how to wire up this Walkera G-3D that I found on HobbyWow.com for $48 bucks, then I'll be in business. I know there are more Solo Drone owners that would like to a less expensive option if at all possible to the Stock Solo Gimbal.

overdriver999 likes this.
  7. Mike Holfield

well, i came across the Lumix DC-zs70, on sale at best buy ($399). Shoots 4k, and weighs 322 grams (.71lbs), built in wi-fi, hdmi out, OIS, etc. I'd love to be able to use something like this instead of investing in another go pro 4 (3 years old now) for my solo.

8. Mike Holfield

9. TonyL

I have 3 from my Tali 500 days!

10. Mike Holfield

So, i was just doing some web surfing, and came across a company that offers an infrared camera and Gimbal that is fully functional with Solo ($2000)

So I'm guessing there's a for sure way to do it without a GoPro camera.

have you had any more success Sniper?