Gimbal unboxing and installation

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I received my solo + gimbal and wanted to proceed with its installation.
However, for the life of me I can't figure out how to remove the foam protection around the gimbal. In 3DR's tutorial video it seems super straightforward, but it's not when I try it. It seems the foam completely loops around the gimbal and I can't find a natural way to remove it.

Here is a video that shows it:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Just wanted to ask help here before doing anything stupid!

Guillaume

Hi guys,

I received my solo + gimbal and wanted to proceed with its installation.
However, for the life of me I can't figure out how to remove the foam protection around the gimbal. In 3DR's tutorial video it seems super straightforward, but it's not when I try it. It seems the foam completely loops around the gimbal and I can't find a natural way to remove it.

Here is a video that shows it:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Just wanted to ask help here before doing anything stupid!

Guillaume
See that green arrow. Pull the foam out in that direction. And save the foam. Put it in whenever you store your Solo.

Doesn't work. Like I said the foam is looping around the whole unit. If you look at the video, you can see there's no 'exit' for the gimbal. It's really weird.

Doesn't work. Like I said the foam is looping around the whole unit. If you look at the video, you can see there's no 'exit' for the gimbal. It's really weird.
No. It's just snug. Pull the foam in the direction the arrow points in.

What Erik said.:)
I was confused too when I got mine. Later, when I tried to put it back in, I got REALLY confused. Gave up and thought about it for about a month.
Welcome to the forum!

The problem is the ridge that they added at the back side to secure the foam from falling out. The ridge can be seen at the very end of your video. If you carefully, but very firmly, pull in the direction of the green arrow, as Erik said, the foam block will come out. When you get it out, use a hobby knife to remove that ridge and make it flush with the surface. This is a simple mod that will make removing and reinstalling the foam much easier when preparing for transport.

Thanks guys! It worked. It was just super snug indeed. Acroduster, what do you mean by 'ridge'? Now that I've taken the foam in/out a couple times, it seems fine so not sure if I need to do the mod you mention.

If it slides out easy enough for you, then fine. The ridge I'm speaking of, dead center at 0:11 in your video, is the little 45 degree jump at the back of the foam. If I remember, I'll take a pic of mine when I get home (after my soccer game - which is why I say IF I remember...)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44