Gimbal problems with update 2.4.0

vld

Reaction score
Pending a response from 3DR I'll reserve my documented disgust with this drone. Latest problem is loss of gimbal control and subsequent Hero Black overheat/shutdown. GoPro rep says the external power source (from Solo via gimbal) should be 5VN1A. Not sure if the most recent update is at fault but the problem didn't exist before. Absent a satisfactory response from 3DR and absent anyone else on this forum having a similar problem I will post the numerous other problems I've had with this under performing and bug plagued product. First things first is to be sure it's not something I'm doing wrong.

Why didn't you just return it within the 30 days. If the problem is the Solo rather than you 3DR will make it good. Are you here to bitch or get help?

Nice first post.

Equally nice response there Greg. My problems started with the last Solo update. One year after purchase. Expressing my disgust with the problems I've experienced with Solo was an attempt to find out through this forum if anyone else was having the same problems. Your response has been as helpful as the Solo tech support team. To exclude the possibility that it's a "user" problem as I said in my original post I just sent Solo off to the 3DR recommended repair facility (currentuas.com). If it checks out ok I'll post the results. I spent a lot of time researching this drone and familiarized myself with its operation and capabilities. My neighbor bought a Phantom 3 and flies rings around me. That pisses me off. Until I get the Solo back with their results you and this forum won't hear from me...

I repeat you usually get what you give out of these forums
come in with a chip on your shoulder with a heavy dose of negativity and that is what tends to come back to you

I just posted my response a few minutes ago and you come right back with this negativity meme? Sure hope you're not representative on who's on this forum...

vid
All I am saying is lighten up
you will get more help that way.
If you notice you got a lot of views and little response. People tend to want to help folks who are a little less grumpy

Credit for wanting to know if it is something you did.
I doubt you did anything. I have heard a couple of cases of gopros overheating. Mine did it once but I left it on in the case.
I heard about someone else that had a similar problem to yours and gopro replaced it.

If it were me, Just make sure you are using a gopro battery, and a real good SD card
Make sure everything is on the correct firmware.

Then get on Chat with 3DR.

pyrate

In reviewing my original post dated vld, Jun 26, 2016 and your subsequent response particularly the one where you said I was “Grumpy”. It wasn’t my intention to come across that way. So you and others might be interested in what has transpired since my post and your response. I sent my Solo to their recommended repair center, Current UAS - UAV Repair Services with the enclosed letter and follow up email:

July 5, 2016

CurrentUAS Tech

Please find enclosed:

1 Solo Drone

1 Solo Controller

1 Solo Controller Battery

1 helical after market antenna (unable to include originals)

1 Solo Gimbal

-If gimbal is defective please replace and return original.

-Please repair/replace any defective parts.

-Please provide complete evaluation of any problems found.

-If the MikroTik WiFi card is available please install.

Reasons for using your service:

-Loss of gimbal control/GoPro overheat and shutdown.

-Range issues: more than 1500’ from controller get alert; “Waiting for Solo”. During that time no response to controller and RTH.

-Every update upon completion cannot shutdown controller-must remove controller battery/reinstall to turn off controller.

-Other issues pertain to software glitches such as unable to cache maps (something I know you can’t address)

The charge for repair and return $225.00. Analysis:

Note to Client |

Replaced IMX6 on controller, loaded new firmware and calibrations.

Test flew OK

GPS Signal OK

Range 3200ft+ on stock antennas

Video feed OK

Terms |

Thank you; For choosing CURRENT UAS

So, as I said in my original post, eliminate the user problem. Problem solved. Except right from the get go the gimbal failed. Thus the need for a follow up email to Currant:

July 5, 2016

CurrentUAS Tech

Please find enclosed:

1 Solo Drone

1 Solo Controller

1 Solo Controller Battery

1 helical after market antenna (unable to include originals)

1 Solo Gimbal

-If gimbal is defective please replace and return original.

-Please repair/replace any defective parts.

-Please provide complete evaluation of any problems found.

-If the MikroTik WiFi card is available please install.

Reasons for using your service:

-Loss of gimbal control/GoPro overheat and shutdown.

-Range issues: more than 1500’ from controller get alert; “Waiting for Solo”. During that time no response to controller and RTH.

-Every update upon completion cannot shutdown controller-must remove controller battery/reinstall to turn off controller.

-Other issues pertain to software glitches such as unable to cache maps (something I know you can’t address)

Hi Christian,

Just took my repaired Solo out for a test flight…gimbal control lost after about 5 minutes. Ref invoice # 209. Any idea as to why? When I sent the drone to you I removed the gimbal. You returned with the gimbal in place. Pretty much negates any error on my part as I flew the drone as was shipped.

Subsequent to this email Christian called back and said over the phone that somehow the gimbal was bad and wasn’t detected in his evaluation. So, I’ve ordered another. In the mean time I’ve flown Solo without the gimbal with the GoPro camera hard wired to the Solo. Assume all firmware and software is up to date and I still can’t get a cached preflight planning map to download using Map Box or Google. The “Tower” software looks promising but I’m not sure if it would be worth the time to study this software as opposed to starting over with the P4. I may have to bite the bullet and admit that all the time and energy and money and research spent on this drone and the GoPro camera, editing software, etc. may have been in vain to accomplish my meager expectations. Obviously, I’ve not given up on 3DR. If the new gimbal operates correctly and I can simply fly line of sight, without all the touted expectations claimed then sad to say I’ll have to move on to 3Dr’s competitor. And no, I’m not grumpy, just disappointed. Regards, VLD.

Hi,
allow me a few comments.
An overheated GoPro has nothing to do with Solo. Better check the GoPro itself.

To cure a limping gimbal you may try a level calibration. If that doesn't help call support. Remember already a slight crash can compromise the gimbal performance.

Map cashing works well for me on iOS and Android. You need a bit more specific if you want someone to help you.

Wifi range depends on many factors, including the presence of other 2.4 sources, or weather influence which may limit you to your 1500' vs the 3000' measured by the repair center.

Lastly, I strongly don't recommend you to use Tower until you became more familiar with Solo. Tower offers many more degrees of freedom which may confuse the beginner.

I did have problems with the GoPro after updating the app. It happen that after solo is on and everything is ready the GoPro wasn't on. Turns out that the new upgrade of the GoPro that feature was disable. Must 3 dr have to worked up with them. So after touching the gimball when solo was on the gimball looks odd and side way. 3dr help told me how to fix it. (Calibrating). When to fly it work good. Them I upgrade the solo app. 2 days a go, them try to fly but the gimball can be find by the controller. It is a mess. Will have to ask 3dr for help on this.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela