Problem with new gimbal - video scrolling

Reaction score
Good evening everyone!

Not sure what to make of this problem so I thought I'd post it here - perfect flights up to now, totally thrilled. Another thread pointed out the discounted gimbals via Amazon so I bought one that day, hooked it up, had a great flight.

Next time I go fly though, there's a problem with the remote video feed, such that when up close and for the first minute or so, I can see the GoPro settings and video, but then the video freezes, gets stuck, lets up again, then scrolls down, such that the stuck image just "falls" down the display and eventually repeats back up top and keeps scrolling downward.

If anybody remembers the old VHS tapes (dating myself here..), when the tracking was maladjusted the TV image would do the same scroll down the screen.

Since the video's stuck and the image is scrolling, my remote feed is hosed - I RTH and that's the end of the flight within 2 minutes.

Some details:
  • The Solo itself seems fine - GPS is good, performance is good, battery good, controller good
  • everything's charged
  • movies recorded to the GoPro are just fine
  • gimbal otherwise performs correctly
  • If I'm up close (within 15 feet), it's just fine, all the time. Always acts up at about 20 feet out or more (as opposed to the 1200 feet out I'm used to flying!)
Things I've tried:
  • disconnect/reconnect external video cable to GoPro
  • unseat/reseat GoPro from carriage
  • power all down, power all back up
  • disconnect gimbal and uninstall, then carefully reinstall (including all connectors) - did this twice, changing the cable path internally each time
  • reviewed the cable, connectors.. no damage, bent pins, etc. Seems fine.
  • It was working prior to the major 2.0 firmware update (1st flight), then stopped working normally on the 2nd flight. I updated to v2, still no change.
My theory is that it's a radio emission thing, such that there's enough interference that at range it's no longer able to transmit a clean signal back. These discounted gimbals might be an old lot with poor shielding..? If this were true, I would never have gotten that excellent first flight though.

The gimbal was purchased via Amazon, seemed perfectly new. What do we think the best way to exchange if the unit's damaged would be?

Thank you all!

- R

Have you tried going back to the frame and hdmi setup, it would at least tell you if it's your vid feed or possibly the GoPro female or solos male end of the GoPro connection on the gimbal. At least let you start to narrow down possibilities. I can't recall seeing others have this issue much, but you could also try to search scrolling video feed or something similar here on the forum and see if others discus a fix.

Good luck and fly safe

I had this same problem, see video
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Contact 3dr, they gave me an rma and replaced it. The gimbal was the problem.

Things I've tried:
  • disconnect/reconnect external video cable to GoPro
  • unseat/reseat GoPro from carriage
  • power all down, power all back up
  • disconnect gimbal and uninstall, then carefully reinstall (including all connectors) - did this twice, changing the cable path internally each time
  • reviewed the cable, connectors.. no damage, bent pins, etc. Seems fine.
  • It was working prior to the major 2.0 firmware update (1st flight), then stopped working normally on the 2nd flight. I updated to v2, still no change.

I'm having the same issue as you described, since 2.0 as a coincidence only. I don't believe mine is related to 2.0, as I have abused my gimbal to no end. I really think it's a bad HDMI cable in my case, at least I hope. Worst case it is the gimbal, warranty coverage is always an option, unless you damaged the gimbal.

I think your theory regarding discounted gimbals is false. I doubt 3DR would pass off bad hardware that they'll warranty for a year. Besides mine has had no video issues until just recently, that's five months worth of no issues.

I tried cleaning all the HDMI connectors, thinking dirt/grime as the reason. Did not change the results.

Will replace HDMI cable this evening. Will post results when I'm able.

I'm having the same issue as you described, since 2.0 as a coincidence only. I don't believe mine is related to 2.0, as I have abused my gimbal to no end. I really think it's a bad HDMI cable in my case, at least I hope. Worst case it is the gimbal, warranty coverage is always an option, unless you damaged the gimbal.

I think your theory regarding discounted gimbals is false. I doubt 3DR would pass off bad hardware that they'll warranty for a year. Besides mine has had no video issues until just recently, that's five months worth of no issues.

I tried cleaning all the HDMI connectors, thinking dirt/grime as the reason. Did not change the results.

Will replace HDMI cable this evening. Will post results when I'm able.

That's great, I'm glad to hear of your experience and that you disagree, it serves to restore some faith. I've just replaced the gimbal with The Frame and I'll do a test flight to see if it's the cable or the gimbal circuitry.

- R

That's great, I'm glad to hear of your experience and that you disagree, it serves to restore some faith. I've just replaced the gimbal with The Frame and I'll do a test flight to see if it's the cable or the gimbal circuitry.

- R
That is a great plan, using the frame and straight connection to the GP HDMI... Interested in your results.

That is a great plan, using the frame and straight connection to the GP HDMI... Interested in your results.

The results were.. unexpected. In and of itself, great flight at 400' up and 1200' out, it was looking like it was clearly the gimbal until the last 3 minutes of flight where the symptoms resumed and I had to tell it to RTH. When it was back in immediate proximity it was okay again. While it was within 20', worked perfectly.

I'll have to ping 3DR support on this one.

- R

I had this same problem, see video
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Contact 3dr, they gave me an rma and replaced it. The gimbal was the problem.
YES, that's exactly what it looks like! How did you capture it so cleanly?

Unfortunately I had the exact same problem with The Frame, though it took longer to exhibit - can't be the gimbal. o_O

Was range ever a factor with yours? I can't see my problem being the cable if it only misbehaves at range...?

Raston,

It was all over the board at the beginning. It got worse over time. I had that bird apart two dozen times. I finally bit the bullet because I had no where else to turn and replaced the HDMI cable with the one from Relish and bingo, back in the game! I'll see if I can dig up the original thread.

Jerry

Raston,

It was all over the board at the beginning. It got worse over time. I had that bird apart two dozen times. I finally bit the bullet because I had no where else to turn and replaced the HDMI cable with the one from Relish and bingo, back in the game! I'll see if I can dig up the original thread.

Jerry
Solid, great to know. Thank you!

I had seen your thread back when Jerry, I've had same as your original image but it was at the GP HDMI connection. Reading the thread further it appears others had the rolling video... Seems the HDMI cable was the main issue. Thanks for the link, I had forgotten about that thread.

Ok, first time to swap a HDMI cable, what a bitch... Won't know anything until tomorrow, this was with a factory replacement cable.

Ok, first time to swap a HDMI cable, what a bitch... Won't know anything until tomorrow, this was with a factory replacement cable.

Rich,

Yeah, not as easy as they make it look in the video! My main board was a lot tighter. After you do it a dozen times it gets easier! I really got frustrated with this at the time but fortunately, haven't had the issue since.

Jerry

Cable change did not resolve my issue, figured that would be the case after all the abuse I've given my gimbal. Back to square one....

Raston, based on your test with direct connection, I believe you'll have better results in swapping your cable. Seems the common resolve with many who've had video issues.

Good luck!

Cable change did not resolve my issue, figured that would be the case after all the abuse I've given my gimbal. Back to square one....

Raston, based on your test with direct connection, I believe you'll have better results in swapping your cable. Seems the common resolve with many who've had video issues.

Good luck!
Great to know how it went over for you, I appreciate your saying so - I'll post my results here as soon as I have 'em!

Good luck!
Contacted 3DR support and they confirmed that it's likely the HDMI cable and that I can replace it with the Relish3D cable myself WITHOUT voiding the warranty!

Please confirm it's this one : Solo Ultra Thin Micro HDMI Flat Ribbon Cable

Also, do I recall that it *is* otherwise properly shielded?

Thank you folks,

- R

Glad to hear...just a cable. I have no idea as to which version of the Relish HDMI ribbon or if it is shielded. That was @J R that had mentioned them as a solution. No one has complained that there are any issue if it wasn't shielded...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44