A few problems from a newbie

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've just got my 3DR Solo. It was a "factory refurbished" unit I bought on eBay from USA and had delivered to me in the UK. I also ordered and fitted the genuine gopro gimbal to go with my existing GoPro hero 4 Silver.

When it arrived, I followed all the instructions and updated all the firmware (solo and controller) as well as my gopro.

I've flown it 3 times now and I've had a number of problems that hopefully someone will be able to help me with.

The first time I flew it everything seemed ok except that when I started recording the gopro would freeze after a few seconds. The video feed would freeze and I had to take the battery out of the Gopro to unfreeze it.

The second time I flew it, the controller would lose signal whenever I connected to the Solo wifi with the solo app. To get around the problem, I flew it without the gopro or app.

I have just flown it again. This time the gimbal was cocked to one side (it's mounted correctly and has power, but the gimbal is rolled to one side). I carried out the calibration of the compass and accelerometer which didn't help so I carried on regardless. The video feed was tilted but I checked the behavior of the gopro and it still freezes whenever I start to record.

On top of all this, it seems to be having problems with the GPS signal. I've looked up a few things to check on this and I've ordered the V2 shield which hopefully might help.

TL;DR: On last flight gimbal was rolled to one side but worked other than that. Gopro H4S freezes when recording.

I'd be grateful for any suggestions of what to try to correct the problems. Thanks.

Try using the following startup procedure:
1) Turn on controller
2) Turn on GoPro
3) Turn on Solo
4) After Solo connects with controller, connect phone/tablet and app.

Also, if you are losing your live feed after recording starts, try setting your GoPro video to a lower setting. Start with 1080p and 30fps to see if it helps.

Hi,
I am a new owner of the Solo and I have been right through the forum reading nearly every post. Either here or somewhere else one important thing I learned was NOT to have the wi-Fi turned on on the GoPro. I was wondering if that could cause your problem

Regards

Graham

Thanks for the replies.

@jimloss: I was wondering what order I should use to power it all up so I'll try that, thanks. I have read about someone else having a similar gopro problem when using 1080P 60FPS which is what I was using. I'll try changing to lower settings and see how I get on.

@gn1000: Thanks for the suggestion. On my last flight I double checked and the gopro wifi was off.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Motoxxx1986