FPV system for Solo?

So the Roku stick is just an android device that can run the Solo app?
No. It is one of those devices that plays NetFlix etc. What is special about it is that it employs "Miracast" which allows Android devices to nativley share their screen... And the Roku allows you to do that as a "Guest" without being on that network. This is important because you are on a closed (Sololink) network with no connection to the Internet.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

It "should" also work with Apple TV. I have one of those also (Yahhh I know....) though I haven't specifically tried it with solo as i am using Android for Solo (for Tower) . Again, the key is if you can connect Apple TV to the Sololink network (since it isn't specifically connected to the Internet). I believe I have done that for other things, but in any case, if you can do that you could do the same thing (send to goggles) wirelessly with an Apple TV device.

I tried doing it with a Chromecast, but couldn't make it work. The problem there was that the Chromecast wants to be connected to the Internet, and as mentioned the Sololink network isn't.

I just saw this, and that might be even more interesting for FPV goggles with an HDMI input, but the "trick" is it needs to be able to get the Miracast signal without specifically joining the Sololink network, or if it needs to, that it will join the Sololink network without it connecting to the Internet

New Miracast Dongle Smartphone WiFi Display TV Wireless Share Push Receiver Description: This wifi display dongle receiver applies to LCD/TV/Projector with HDMI interface sharing picture/video/musi - Newegg.com

if this worked, it would be for Android devics...

Hope it helps...

Reactions: RolandS888
No. It is one of those devices that plays NetFlix etc. What is special about it is that it employs "Miracast" which allows Android devices to nativley share their screen... And the Roku allows you to do that as a "Guest" without being on that network. This is important because you are on a closed (Sololink) network with no connection to the Internet.

It "should" also work with Apple TV. I have one of those also (Yahhh I know....) though I haven't specifically tried it with solo as i am using Android for Solo (for Tower) . Again, the key is if you can connect Apple TV to the Sololink network (since it isn't specifically connected to the Internet). I believe I have done that for other things, but in any case, if you can do that you could do the same thing (send to goggles) wirelessly with an Apple TV device.

I tried doing it with a Chromecast, but couldn't make it work. The problem there was that the Chromecast wants to be connected to the Internet, and as mentioned the Sololink network isn't.

I just saw this, and that might be even more interesting for FPV goggles with an HDMI input, but the "trick" is it needs to be able to get the Miracast signal without specifically joining the Sololink network, or if it needs to, that it will join the Sololink network without it connecting to the Internet

New Miracast Dongle Smartphone WiFi Display TV Wireless Share Push Receiver Description: This wifi display dongle receiver applies to LCD/TV/Projector with HDMI interface sharing picture/video/musi - Newegg.com

if this worked, it would be for Android devics...

Hope it helps...

Ok this is getting interesting. but I'm still a bit confused. the information about apple tv I don't really care about nor netflix or any other tv related extraneous info. What you describe is some way for my android to share its screen to something else, whether it's fatshark, oculous rift or some giant flat screen, let's leave that aside for now.
What concerns me about your post is how this Miracast works. Let's say my smart phone is connected to Sololink, then what do I do to miracast? and what does my fatshark or whatever need to do to receive the transmission? What gets connected to what? and through what type of ports?
Have you tried this out? Please fill in as much detail as you can.
Thank you!

Ok this is getting interesting. but I'm still a bit confused. the information about apple tv I don't really care about nor netflix or any other tv related extraneous info. What you describe is some way for my android to share its screen to something else, whether it's fatshark, oculous rift or some giant flat screen, let's leave that aside for now.
What concerns me about your post is how this Miracast works. Let's say my smart phone is connected to Sololink, then what do I do to miracast, and what does my fatshark or whatever need to do to receive the transmission. What gets connected to what? and through what type of ports?
Have you tried this out? Please fill in as much detail as you can.
Thank you!
Miracast is a standard for sharing that is built into Android. You can share movies, music, etc. or just your screen, over WiFi to something else that has Miracast. The Roku device has Miracast. So does the other device I linked.

Miracast allows you to do this as a "guest" if it is implemented stock. Roku does this, and allows a device not specifically joined to the local WiFi network to "cast" as a guest (if it is allowed in the setup of the device). What that means is you can be on the Sololink network with your tablet, and still stream the "desktop" to the Roku

This is what you do in Android...

Mirror your smartphone or tablet to the TV with a Roku - CNET

The Roku device is wireless and has an HDMI out. You connect that up to your fatshark or whatever. The other device works the same, but has an antenna. Not sure of the details of that one. The Roku should autodetect the resoluton of the FatShark (or whatever) but in case it can't you can connect it to a TV and set it to what you need.

I connected it to several things, including my TV, the large touchscreen in the video, and a friends "I think" FatShark goggles (don't know which model but I believe it was mostly off white) and it worked fine. I quit there, as I decided FPV just wasn't my thing. I do video, and I kept wanting to pull them off to see the context of where the Solo is (in addition to the FP video).

Last edited:
Asked a quick question on Amazon re: the other device I linked and "according to a customer" you can cast directly without joining a network. That device is cheaper, is dedicated, and has an antenna. The only question is that at least the Nexus outputs 1080 and the Fatsharks want 720. It looks like the Roku deals with this. Not sure if the other devices do.

If that device actually works though, you would be able to plug that right in with a mini HDMI adapter.. Like the others,they need power, but can be powered from a USB battery. A couple strips of Velcro, a cable/adapter, a battery in your pocket or on velcro and you would be mobile. Since you are only casting from the tablet to the goggles at that point, signal shouldn't be an issue.

They should just build in Miracast to the headset... My bet is they will soon....

Last edited:
Anybody seen that new screen that clips onto glasses and only covers 1 eye? Looks a bit like a HUD. I keep seeing adds for it pop up on facebook. Curious as to how they perform. Would be nice to have the fpv experience but still be able to see your current surroundings.

Reactions: J R
Found it! Its called Vufine. Guess its not in production yet but they are taking preorders. Might have to try one of these.

Vufine
I wonder if these will end up being the only legal type of FPV goggles/glasses. These or something like the Epson Movieroo. It's the only way to maintain Line of Site. A fully emersive FPV goggle is better, but this might be the best we can hope for.

Any progress on adding telemetry to the HDMI out?
Many smart phones have HDMI out with he right cable. Instead of using the HDMI out of the controller, use the HDMI out from your phone.

Many smart phones have HDMI out with he right cable. Instead of using the HDMI out of the controller, use the HDMI out from your phone.

This does work, I've done it on android using a mhl usb to hdmi (needed 5v), and iOS to hdmi via a lightning adapter (adapter powered via phone lightning). It's slightly lagged compared to hdmi out of the controller but similar to a wifi tablet

I would want to be able to touch the tablet for the controls as well... Real pity that the HDMI out on the controller only does clean video for live feed. I would love to see a software option to show flight telemetry...

I am seriously considering getting the Epson BT-200 Smart Glasses for this. See through the goggles at all times
I've also been looking at the Epson BT-200 Smart Glassees. I like the idea of being able to see the FPV but still be able to see the drone flying as well as my tablet with all of its features... It's more augmented reality at that point. Agreed future software addition to the smart glasses would be awesome. Did you end up getting them?

I've also been looking at the Epson BT-200 Smart Glassees. I like the idea of being able to see the FPV but still be able to see the drone flying as well as my tablet with all of its features... It's more augmented reality at that point. Agreed future software addition to the smart glasses would be awesome. Did you end up getting them?

Nah, I have been on assignment on a dive vessel for 2 months shooting underwater and aerials for a TV show. Had to buy 2 P3P's because of the need to hand launch from a boat and the required range to fly up to volcanoes, etc. Just got back and only just purchased my SOLO Gimbal.

I have been looking at this option too.... Avegant Glyph | Home
It provides a much clearer image as it is projected into your eyes and not an LCD made from pixels. You can also look down and see your hands/controller while wearing the unit. Flip up and you can see the drone. Also playing with VR headsets like my Gear VR and some software for the P3P. Much cheaper alternatives.

Found it! Its called Vufine. Guess its not in production yet but they are taking preorders. Might have to try one of these.

Vufine
I really like these and have been watching them for a long time. They keep pushing the release back over & over & over. Their blog used to have updates from the "engineers" but that is now gone and replaced by testimonials from people who have tried them.

I'm beginning to get suspicious- how many people do they need to give it to to "try"? I think the people who pre-ordered are going to lose their money. According to Money magazine & The Wall Street Journal, most "kick-starter" businesses fail. Most are legitimate efforts but criminals have discovered it is a gold mine for fleecing people.

Apparently it's very difficult to tell a real business venture from a good con.:(

I use a HK quantum headset with some of my other fpv quads. .. works great and the best part is that it cost around $60. An extra $25 or so will get you head tracking if you are so inclined. Word of advice..... don't tell your kids it will work with their xbox or you'll lose it forever. 20151112_192051.jpg

Reactions: erikgraham
However, I still like this better for the solo.
20151213_154927.jpg

20151213_151206.jpg

Reactions: Blooter and J R

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Motoxxx1986