Solex install stuck on Calibration

Reaction score
I'm attempting to resurrect two 3DR Solo craft for the summer. Having located my HERO4, five batteries that hold a charge, and shelled out for Solex, I upgraded them to OpenSolo 4 just fine. I reset the Parameters.

However, I can't complete either IMU or Compass Calibration.
Compass Calibration ends in Failure every time. I drove to a field, I tried different locations. I'm wearing no metal.. no matter how much I turn and twist through Calibration, it always ends in the sad Fail tone. Sometimes a long sad tone, sometimes a short one, but it doesn't take. Any guesses? I'd think bad hardware, except that Both of these flew just fine yesterday with stock 3DR firmware.. no glitches, no calibration errors. I've done almost a hundred attempts at Compass Calibration without success. (Back on stock firmware, this was never an issue)

The IMU Calibration seems like a Solex UI error of some sort. It will start the IMU Calibration, on level surface. It presents a countdown timer and an unusable "Next" button. The timer counts down, changes colors, and eventually fails. I am never able to press Next, so can't proceed. I tried a tablet, a phone.. always the same problem.

Any ideas what to try next? Thanks!

I found an old tablet with the original 3DR Solo app on it!

This app WAS able to calibrate the IMU, while Solex can not. (due to the greyed out NEXT button)

Does anyone know how to contact the author of Solex for support? I can't find any support option in the paid software.

I'm still stuck on Compass calibration, both units Failing calibration every time. I'll try again with the stock Solo app in an open field, but it feels a bit... much. Is there a specific twist/turn pattern it is looking for? Any other app I can use?

Thanks!

Alternatively, if there is a (Linux CLI) way to just "force" the compass calibration with some default values, I'd really like to fly these. Even if they can't RTH or navigate, it's debilitating having both drones refuse to arm because Compass can't Calibrate. Is there a hack/force/workaround?

I should not have reset my Parameters, I suppose. These flew just fine before I "upgraded" them with Solex.

Yeah. Bummer. I mean, I get it.. this drone is eight years old; the world has moved on.

I'm mostly upset that I spent money on this app just to have Solex render my drone unflyable. Not cool. They should pull that app down before more people permanently make their drone uncalibrated.

Anyway, I think it's time to push this all into the bin. I was delighted with it at launch. The long flight time, the Hero gimbal, the fitted backpack, all of it. it's fair warning that all our server-connected toys will eventually follow it into the landfill. Enjoy them while you can.

I am also getting my old Solo up and running and it is hard to figure out the best approach for everything.

It looks like Solex had a "Terms of use" update on Aug 23, 2023.

Also I see contact info [email protected] under "App support" on Solex - Apps on Google Play

As far as I know my drone is still stock except for a new battery so I am hoping I can figure out a plan for all the things before making any changes.

I found an old tablet with the original 3DR Solo app on it!

This app WAS able to calibrate the IMU, while Solex can not. (due to the greyed out NEXT button)

Does anyone know how to contact the author of Solex for support? I can't find any support option in the paid software.

I'm still stuck on Compass calibration, both units Failing calibration every time. I'll try again with the stock Solo app in an open field, but it feels a bit... much. Is there a specific twist/turn pattern it is looking for? Any other app I can use?

Thanks!
I was able to bring my 2 Solo's back to life after not using them for6 years - indeed, I was able to limp along with the old Samsung app tablet I've been using since 2015: FoltsBurg Elevation Video - 4K-24Sept23

Yeah. Bummer. I mean, I get it.. this drone is eight years old; the world has moved on.

I'm mostly upset that I spent money on this app just to have Solex render my drone unflyable. Not cool. They should pull that app down before more people permanently make their drone uncalibrated.

Anyway, I think it's time to push this all into the bin. I was delighted with it at launch. The long flight time, the Hero gimbal, the fitted backpack, all of it. it's fair warning that all our server-connected toys will eventually follow it into the landfill. Enjoy them while you can.
man so your saying solex made it to where you cant fly it?

man so your saying solex made it to where you cant fly it?
i have an old phone i bought online it uses the real solo app
so maybe if you have your drones still hit me up ill mail you the phone for depoit that you will mail it back when your are in the air

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig