Would you like to see a feature where backwards flight was controlled with forward controls?

• No, I don't like the idea.

Votes: 12 63.2%
  • Yes, I would like such a feature.

Votes: 7 36.8%

• Total voters
Reaction score
Website
www.timorden.com
It occurred to me today, while practicing flying backwards that it would be relatively easy to have a switch on the transmitter that allowed for flying backwards while maintaining the normal control movements.

That is to say, simply have the controls remain the same but allow Solo to fly with its aft section now forward and the camera trailing, instead of leading. No disorientation and much more logical control of moving away from a subject.
It seems like a perfect upgrade.

Of course ,The pilot would have to be imminently aware that flight control was reversed. Perhaps a banner warning appears on the screen and the voice prompt too.

Come on guys, tell me why this isn't a good idea.

Reactions: John hill
One reason: muscle memory. Getting your brain to switch gears like that mid-flight is not a good idea.

Reactions: Jubalr
It occurred to me today, while practicing flying backwards that it would be relatively easy to have a switch on the transmitter that allowed for flying backwards while maintaining the normal control movements.

That is to say, simply have the controls remain the same but allow Solo to fly with its aft section now forward and the camera trailing, instead of leading. No disorientation and much more logical control of moving away from a subject.
It seems like a perfect upgrade.

Of course ,The pilot would have to be imminently aware that flight control was reversed. Perhaps a banner warning appears on the screen and the voice prompt too.

Come on guys, tell me why this isn't a good idea.
You can pretty much already do this. Use simple or super-simple mode. Activate it with Tower.

Reactions: Ian [P13]
I think simple/super simple encourages bad practice really, with it being a GPS feature, if GPS is ever lost panic would ensue.
Never bothered with either, but I think one of them is strictly based on compass heading at the moment you arm.

I wouldnt recommend that at all, just learn the controls in case anything goes wrong. There were moments where gps cut out for me and it immediately went into manual fly.
Had I been any less experienced I would've crashed it but I like to practice w/ the quad as is and put in at least 2-3 flights a week for the last 7 months... the better you know
how to fly your quad the way it was given to you the better pilot you are.

I wouldnt recommend that at all, just learn the controls in case anything goes wrong. There were moments where gps cut out for me and it immediately went into manual fly.
Had I been any less experienced I would've crashed it but I like to practice w/ the quad as is and put in at least 2-3 flights a week for the last 7 months... the better you know
how to fly your quad the way it was given to you the better pilot you are.
I think the number one safety tip might be to always keep track of which way the nose is pointing - so you can react properly if it suddenly drops into alt hold.

Reactions: 1264_Solo
While I don't fly extended distances, I generally fly by view on my screen. Not sure how flipping the controls would help me. With that said, when I first started flying with a dji f550. I experimented a lot with their IOC (intelligent orientation control, is what they call it). I used it some when I was starting to learn to fly LOS. But once I got into fpv, I didn't find a ton of use for it. I could see a mode (don't know if it's simple or super simple) where once I'm ready to fly back and land, flip into this mode and just pull back on the stick to bring straight home. But if I recall, that's what 3dr is touting their return to land feature. Yes a failsafe in the event of signal loss, but also as an easy way to come home.

Yes, yes, guys... I get it that the sure fire way to fly backwards is to learn to do it by practicing a lot. Going forward (or head away from me) I've got it pretty well dialed, even given the need to adjust according to the various conditions. I'm pretty good at going through short course maneuvers. From what i'm experiencing though, the much faster track and ability to capture "leaving" shots would be to flip the head from the cam side to the aft. I was thinking out loud. I still think it's a good idea if it were implemented with the necessary protocols and notices. This isnt about getting in or out of trouble... It's about capturing motion from a particular perspective with confident control.

Oh... no question, it would require line of sight flying. But I get as close as i can to the aircraft for nimble confident maneuvers anyway. There aint no FPV for flying backwards. It's only good for reference of composition.

.I still think it's a good idea if it were implemented with the necessary protocols and notices.
But the point is that it has been implemented. As discussed above, you have two choices, Simple or Super_Simple mode.

AR Drone had something called intuitive or intelligent control. Your phone's compass was it's reference to the bird's flight orientation.

Anyway, it was a novelty at best for me and I was a new flyer at the time. I mean it actually worked pretty well in all, but the next platform wouldn't have that option, so there in lies the problem. Like many here have said it's better to use what is standard and familiarize yourself to a standard mode of flight. Makes it easier to jump platform to platform....ymmv

Simple or Super Simple modes are only effective if you have the ability to set orientation on demand, track the controller/device's location or manually reset a home point. Since Solo offers none of those abilities at present within these two modes, then they are crippled at best for our use.

Many of you guys are showing your age, acting old school and all. The way you do it may not be the best way for the next guy. I can and prefer to fly orbits manually, I think you're a bunch of wimps for needing a smart shot for same...;)

This is basically headless flight mode, no? With some practice, one can fly this way instinctively without the need for a special mode. Racers do this with racing quads so they can turn the aircraft around and use the camera for pursuit view.

As challenging as it still may be for me, I value the ability of being able to fly backwards (and improve at it) as much as being able to drive my car backwards into a tight spot. I agree that its a valuable mind skill and putting a convenience function in place to avoid it is not necessarily a good thing.

I believe you stated this incorrectly, if just flying backward, the nose would still be pointing away from you, making right and left control still working as right and left. When returning with the nose facing you the left and right control would be reversed.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc