Why I'm STAYING with 3DR - a little personal info, my first and last

Reaction score
Website
www.flyingfatcats.com
Gang,

Just had to chime once and final on the whining issue. This is only a comment, this is a free nation and everyone has a right to voice, and this is just my opinion and the last on this board.

As a first time owner and newbie of a UAV, GoPro, et. all and never have shot video from the air before about a month ago, yep I am a newbie at this... however:

First, I'm R/C since a kid, ground and air. I'm also a photographer, hired by a leading studio when I was 15 years old, and a development and project engineer for 25+ years - mostly military products, flight simulators etc. all.

The main point I am making will be: some people do not realize a product release/development cycle. What happens when marketing and investors say's "ship it anyway" and engineering says "it's not ready yet"... I have been the almost all my life and it eventually aged me quick man. We bust our rear ends to get the what we call pre-release product 'ready to ship' or deliver to the US military and overseas customers, then spend countless wasted development hours having to cover engineering's rear ends in multiple meetings with marketing and management and then just telling them all to leave us alone and let us get our job done and get this product finalized with the SOW (Statement Of Work), parts ordered, developed, tested, qualified, QC'ed and delivered to the customer. In other words just "WTF are you doing to us"? This is on 30 million dollar military flight simulators mind you, not a small quadcopter.

Just one personal development cycle event I was in charge of: Have you ever sat alone with a government rep' trying to explain why one flight panel in the multi-million dollar simulator is not there, it was 'only a hole' the upper left AUX console panel located on the main instrument panel missing a HMD control switch with two sets of I/O harness hanging out (I still did not know if it was a pot' or rotary control, so I ran A/D and D/I I/O to the switch on initial design). This was on a F/A-18 flight simulator during final test, with dozens of government personnel and support currently 'flying' what we do have in the production bay. I explained "as soon as I hear back from the pilot in overseas I spoke with yesterday on the phone.." and he replied "really? how did you mange that", I said "sir, it's my job" and I told him I would give him a written update, later.. I had work to do. I had spoke to the F/A-18 pilot while he was sitting in on the tarmac in Iraq, in the only model F/A-18 that matched the contract SOW, and he eventually called me back with the data I needed. You see, we did not have that block/model here available to climb in and check out every switch on every panel like I usually do (yep, loved that part of the job), they were all deployed. It was over ONE control, that turned out to be a 8 position rotary switch that cost us $12,000 each as we used actual flight hardware (talking about long lead times). With over a 8,000+ run wire list and all the other panels, displays, instruments, controls, ejection seat, HUD, integration et. all, we were still waiting on one dad burn switch. Long story short - got the switch installed at 3:00am and integrated with I/O and software, tested and verified 2 days before final shipment of 8 sim's to 2 military bases in the US. Everyone was happy and I had more grey hair started...

OK, now... on to Solo. Being new to this type of photography I researched and talked UAV pilots and searched the internet for over a month before going with Solo. Why did I go with 3DR? Because I have met some awesome people in both 3DR itself and in on-line groups. Am I mad at 3DR because they are going through development issues, heck no. Why, because I'm here to help and have been in friendly contact since day one with 3DR and they listen and treat me well and the support has been above average IMHO.

As far as Solo: I have had 7 low level flyaway's and crashes, 11 damaged props, waited a month on my gimbal, loss Sololink at 30' for some reason, GPS issues, and so forth. You know what, I don't care... why because working with 3DR they WILL get this product finalized and you can bet in the end they will prevail. I have nothing against DJI, owners/pilots/photographers. You see, competition is good for all UAV companies in this rapidly growing market and it's going to be a gun fight to see who 'comes out on top'. Does not matter, it's product competition that makes better products for all of us, no matter if it's a Chevy or a Ford. Right now I have a gimbal, video is great (thanks to input from fellow 3DR owners and support groups) and flying like a dream due to a few mod's (thanks again..). No more crashes and I'm learning and getting better at it, each flight - one at a time.

In summary: pick and stay with what you have, be it 3DR, DJI or even Nikon, Canon, Chevy or Ford, et. all. Make your choice and be supportive to whoever you are with and help THEM and fellow owners/users out, you will be personally satisfied and the company(s) will be better off in the long run. BTW: I should have gone with Canon as my first DSLR, most my best close fiends own Canon's and I'm stuck with my 'small' selection of Nikon lenses? No, I now have friends with Nikon's and we swap gear. Dang it, but I love my Nikon.

Sorry about the long post, but in life complaining will get you no where, fast. 3DR is just trying to install that last 'control switch', or are they?

Pick your maker, your own path and live in peace. And fly safe.

Cheers

Gang,

Just had to chime once and final on the whining issue. This is only a comment, this is a free nation and everyone has a right to voice, and this is just my opinion and the last on this board.

As a first time owner and newbie of a UAV, GoPro, et. all and never have shot video from the air before about a month ago, yep I am a newbie at this... however:

First, I'm R/C since a kid, ground and air. I'm also a photographer, hired by a leading studio when I was 15 years old, and a development and project engineer for 25+ years - mostly military products, flight simulators etc. all.

The main point I am making will be: some people do not realize a product release/development cycle. What happens when marketing and investors say's "ship it anyway" and engineering says "it's not ready yet"... I have been the almost all my life and it eventually aged me quick man. We bust our rear ends to get the what we call pre-release product 'ready to ship' or deliver to the US military and overseas customers, then spend countless wasted development hours having to cover engineering's rear ends in multiple meetings with marketing and management and then just telling them all to leave us alone and let us get our job done and get this product finalized with the SOW (Statement Of Work), parts ordered, developed, tested, qualified, QC'ed and delivered to the customer. In other words just "WTF are you doing to us"? This is on 30 million dollar military flight simulators mind you, not a small quadcopter.

Just one personal development cycle event I was in charge of: Have you ever sat alone with a government rep' trying to explain why one flight panel in the multi-million dollar simulator is not there, it was 'only a hole' the upper left AUX console panel located on the main instrument panel missing a HMD control switch with two sets of I/O harness hanging out (I still did not know if it was a pot' or rotary control, so I ran A/D and D/I I/O to the switch on initial design). This was on a F/A-18 flight simulator during final test, with dozens of government personnel and support currently 'flying' what we do have in the production bay. I explained "as soon as I hear back from the pilot in overseas I spoke with yesterday on the phone.." and he replied "really? how did you mange that", I said "sir, it's my job" and I told him I would give him a written update, later.. I had work to do. I had spoke to the F/A-18 pilot while he was sitting in on the tarmac in Iraq, in the only model F/A-18 that matched the contract SOW, and he eventually called me back with the data I needed. You see, we did not have that block/model here available to climb in and check out every switch on every panel like I usually do (yep, loved that part of the job), they were all deployed. It was over ONE control, that turned out to be a 8 position rotary switch that cost us $12,000 each as we used actual flight hardware (talking about long lead times). With over a 8,000+ run wire list and all the other panels, displays, instruments, controls, ejection seat, HUD, integration et. all, we were still waiting on one dad burn switch. Long story short - got the switch installed at 3:00am and integrated with I/O and software, tested and verified 2 days before final shipment of 8 sim's to 2 military bases in the US. Everyone was happy and I had more grey hair started...

OK, now... on to Solo. Being new to this type of photography I researched and talked UAV pilots and searched the internet for over a month before going with Solo. Why did I go with 3DR? Because I have met some awesome people in both 3DR itself and in on-line groups. Am I mad at 3DR because they are going through development issues, heck no. Why, because I'm here to help and have been in friendly contact since day one with 3DR and they listen and treat me well and the support has been above average IMHO.

As far as Solo: I have had 7 low level flyaway's and crashes, 11 damaged props, waited a month on my gimbal, loss Sololink at 30' for some reason, GPS issues, and so forth. You know what, I don't care... why because working with 3DR they WILL get this product finalized and you can bet in the end they will prevail. I have nothing against DJI, owners/pilots/photographers. You see, competition is good for all UAV companies in this rapidly growing market and it's going to be a gun fight to see who 'comes out on top'. Does not matter, it's product competition that makes better products for all of us, no matter if it's a Chevy or a Ford. Right now I have a gimbal, video is great (thanks to input from fellow 3DR owners and support groups) and flying like a dream due to a few mod's (thanks again..). No more crashes and I'm learning and getting better at it, each flight - one at a time.

In summary: pick and stay with what you have, be it 3DR, DJI or even Nikon, Canon, Chevy or Ford, et. all. Make your choice and be supportive to whoever you are with and help THEM and fellow owners/users out, you will be personally satisfied and the company(s) will be better off in the long run. BTW: I should have gone with Canon as my first DSLR, most my best close fiends own Canon's and I'm stuck with my 'small' selection of Nikon lenses? No, I now have friends with Nikon's and we swap gear. Dang it, but I love my Nikon.

Sorry about the long post, but in life complaining will get you no where, fast. 3DR is just trying to install that last 'control switch', or are they?

Cheers

I couldn't be happier with my choice, sure we have had some bumps in the road, even a few more than I expected delay wise, but look at the folks that are working to make this thing great. I can honestly say the folks I've met here and other places discussing solo are some of the most intelligent folks I've seen in any one forum or discussing any one product . Granted I'm not huge on forums I'd rather be out doing usually, but it's obvious there are a ton of highly intelligent and even overqualified people from all different walks of life coming together to make this thing great.

I consider myself pretty intelligent compared to a lot of folks, but didn't make the right choices in using it at times, so now getting a chance to learn from all these guys who did is great. It's pretty crazy a rc copter, or "drone" is what's bringing it all together. A lot of impressive careers and accomplishments throughout this forum and all these folks here working to improve solo, not to mention the people on github, at 3dr, or working on the hundreds of other open source copter projects that can be tweaked for solo is an amazing thing to see. I have to believe the marketing about this changing the industry after seeing and being a small part of this so far.

I can't wait to see what solo and this community becomes in even a year, then again where we are in 5 or 10 it's going to be an incredible thing to be a part of. In short I'll never throw in the towel, the possibilities are too exciting and there's way too many great folks always willing to help involved. Just look how fast our issues are being fixed either here or by 3dr, there's just no comparison in my mind, so sure at this point I guess I'm fine drinking the kool aid.

This is exactly what I'd hoped it would become and was getting a bit nervous about when so many were dropping out and having problems. Let the haters hate while we all keep moving forward in having an amazing multi that's just going to keep getting better with time.

Fly safe
Fly 3dr
Thanks to all involved and willing to help make solo great.
AD

I couldn't be happier with my choice, sure we have had some bumps in the road, even a few more than I expected delay wise, but look at the folks that are working to make this thing great. I can honestly say the folks I've met here and other places discussing solo are some of the most intelligent folks I've seen in any one forum or discussing any one product . Granted I'm not huge on forums I'd rather be out doing usually, but it's obvious there are a ton of highly intelligent and even overqualified people from all different walks of life coming together to make this thing great.

I consider myself pretty intelligent compared to a lot of folks, but didn't make the right choices in using it at times, so now getting a chance to learn from all these guys who did is great. It's pretty crazy a rc copter, or "drone" is what's bringing it all together. A lot of impressive careers and accomplishments throughout this forum and all these folks here working to improve solo, not to mention the people on github, at 3dr, or working on the hundreds of other open source copter projects that can be tweaked for solo is an amazing thing to see. I have to believe the marketing about this changing the industry after seeing and being a small part of this so far.

I can't wait to see what solo and this community becomes in even a year, then again where we are in 5 or 10 it's going to be an incredible thing to be a part of. In short I'll never throw in the towel, the possibilities are too exciting and there's way too many great folks always willing to help involved. Just look how fast our issues are being fixed either here or by 3dr, there's just no comparison in my mind, so sure at this point I guess I'm fine drinking the kool aid.

This is exactly what I'd hoped it would become and was getting a bit nervous about when so many were dropping out and having problems. Let the haters hate while we all keep moving forward in having an amazing multi that's just going to keep getting better with time.

Fly safe
Fly 3dr
Thanks to all involved and willing to help make solo great.
AD
Couldn't have said it better.

Reactions: Adimuzio513
Couldn't be happier with my choice. Complete newbie to flying and photography. Crashed once, broke some props and still flying strong. I don't even have the gimbal yet, and im still very happy and getting some great shots.
I'm not waiting on my gimbal, just saving money. 4 kids eat a lot of groceries!!!!!!!!

Reactions: Adimuzio513
Couldn't be happier with my choice. Complete newbie to flying and photography. Crashed once, broke some props and still flying strong. I don't even have the gimbal yet, and im still very happy and getting some great shots.
I'm not waiting on my gimbal, just saving money. 4 kids eat a lot of groceries!!!!!!!!
Yes sir they sure do eat a lot and school, sports, and seems like the air we breath is expensive now days, that is if you work to pay for them and they aren't had to generate income like a lot seem to be anymore.

I got lucky and worked some good jobs this summer or I likley would still be saving for solo and the gimbal would still be a dream. Thank god for prevailing wage, hoping to eventually use my head a bit more and my back a bit less but wel see how that turns out.

Still pretty new myself really I had my phantom a while before this, but never really took the photography seriously till I decided to get solo. Glad to hear your having a good experience as well so far.

Very well said. I've suffered a handful of minor issues with mine, but I know they will get most if not all of them fixed and there are only good things to come from companies like this. I also love the way this thing flies. Guys at my field are always in wonder after seeing me take off after a similar quad flew.

Gang,

Cheers
What Chip said, except I've been flying multi-rotors almost 2 years. I do believe and have experienced that 3DR will stand by their products.

Agreed. Count me as a loyal and happy customer. I've engaged technical support 4 times for various issues and all have been happily resolved or answered. 3DR has exceeded my expectations and I'm having a blast flying and shooting footage.

There's quite a few of us from Ohio around here lately, what's odd is the only other multi I've ever seen in flight locally was an hhjc lil toy. It's too bad we're all spread out from here to Cleveland area and in between. Anyway Who Dey Who Dey Lmfao if it's brown flush it down.

I was offered a refund on mine. I chose to RMA and get it back. Why? I have faith in what I believe to be the best designed most forward looking system on the market. Mine was flawless before the gimbal. Then the controller crashed on a factory reset. Shortly, I will have a fully and properly system back from 3DR.

Btw...after being without an SLR since the crash of 35mm film and processing I finally invested in a DSLR. I got a Nikon D3300 combo pack. This thing is awesome!!!

Chose the Solo for not only the design and smart shots, but because of the company it was coming from. Having flown their products in other MRs, I had faith they would have a great product. I've had my Solo since the 1st shipments in June and my Gimbal for over a month now. Haven't had an issue, every update went great. Gimbal installed per the video without taking out the battery tray and Solo has always flown excellent. Still on the original props and couldn't be happier with the product and company.

Chose the Solo for not only the design and smart shots, but because of the company it was coming from. Having flown their products in other MRs, I had faith they would have a great product. I've had my Solo since the 1st shipments in June and my Gimbal for over a month now. Haven't had an issue, every update went great. Gimbal installed per the video without taking out the battery tray and Solo has always flown excellent. Still on the original props and couldn't be happier with the product and company.
Same here (I did have to take Solo #1 back to BB and do an exchange) haven't had any issues since Solo #2, didn't remove the battery tray for the gimbal install, just routed the wires carefully, and so far not a single problem.

Reactions: Raybro
Great post ... Makes me feel a little smarter too As I also chose 3DR, made the commitment to support them - although I did whine a bit along the way - and I am also a Nikonite

I did not experience any problems that required tech support intervention. I am looking forward to 3DR's development as a company and to future iterations of Solo.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc