FAA register is back on....

I did not try to un-register either. I figured the requirement would be back. This time they included ALL UAS whereas before if you had R/C airplanes and were a member of AMA you didn't need to register for your R/C planes. They were only after drone pilots, now it is everyone.
It is not a 'drone/UAS/model aircraft' registration, it is in reality, a pilot registration database. So you get a single number for ALL of your drones, RC airplanes etc. If it were a gun owner registration database the bill would have never seen the light of day.

Reactions: SARDG and mikediggs
Ok real quick, what's the difference between 336 and 107?

14CFR336 Was/is the Special Rule for Model Aircraft. The section that was used to invalidate the original "drone registry" requirement.

14CFR107 is the section governing usage of UAS for commercial purposes.

Yes it's now 24.99 instead of 5.00

The FAA only charges $5.00 for 3 years. Go to the FAA website, if it doesn't have the "FAA.gov" in the URL you are in the wrong place. The 24.99 fee is on a commercial website that provides some additional "services", labels and what not. Someone trying to capitalize on folks who don't read the fine print and perhaps don't realize they ARE NOT on a US Govt website, but a commercial for profit website.

If you look at the disclaimer at the bottom of this fishy site:
"Federal Drone Registration is a premier service provider of professional document preparation services providing a simplified process to help our clients obtain a drone registration with the U.S. Government. We work for our clients to help make the entire process quick, easy, secure, and worry free. We act on behalf of you (our client), and are not affiliated with any US government agency or the FAA. We are an independent site that was designed to obtain a registration number for you and assist with pre and post-registration questions as well as labels for your drone. If you have any questions or need more information, please contact us anytime."

So buyer beware.

As with most things, you tend to get more rules when a few folks choose to abuse the guidelines and impact everyone else.

As with most things, you tend to get more rules when a few folks choose to abuse the guidelines and impact everyone else.
Yes small percent ruin a lot of things, including this great hobby.

BTW - your avatar doesn't look like an Xterra (Nissan?) ha. Z06? nice car. I have an 08 Z06.

Two birds with one avitar... 'Vette and Xterra are my two favorite manned vehicles... the 'Vette's not too useful on rocks at 13,000 feet or in the Colorado snow, but it sure is fun on dry pavement!

Question:
So even if there is registration, who is policing? Is it up to us law abiding operators and hobbyists?

Even for 107 ops, I'm in the DCA area and I hear operators working with real estate people.
It's hard to believe these operators have waivers to operate in Class B lead alone part 107. (I hope I'm wrong).

Next time I connect with the real estate person I know I will ask if she has ever been shown either a part 107 certificate/airspace waiver.

I'm all about Part 107 holders making a living the right way and not have someone with no credentials ruining it for the rest of us.

Question:
So even if there is registration, who is policing? Is it up to us law abiding operators and hobbyists?

Even for 107 ops, I'm in the DCA area and I hear operators working with real estate people.
It's hard to believe these operators have waivers to operate in Class B lead alone part 107. (I hope I'm wrong).

Next time I connect with the real estate person I know I will ask if she has ever been shown either a part 107 certificate/airspace waiver.

I'm all about Part 107 holders making a living the right way and not have someone with no credentials ruining it for the rest of us.

Question:

Commercial use (such as real estate photography) within the FRZ (13 mile radius around DCA) is prohibited and nobody gets waiver for that as far as I know. Commercial operation where class B airspace is to the surface or anywhere withing the SFRA would require FAA authorization or waivers. From what I've heard, nobody ever gets it in the class B. The rest of the SFRA is probably fine but again requires screwing around with authorizations and waivers. So given the headache, there is probably a lot of illegal use in there too.

Reactions: Wetstone

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44