Editing Software

Reaction score
I have done some editing through gopro as well as Imovie software. It is awesome from the responses on the forum which I thank you for. I want to take it another step but have spent so much money already and want the best editing software for my $. I was told adobe which is very reputable but super expensive and I don't like the new monthly per month charge like microsoft 360.. Any suggestions guys? I use a Mac.

I ended up with final cut pro x (FCPX) on a macbook pro from a project as partial payment(dont ask), and it is performing pretty well. I have edited some pretty intensive high bitrates/codecs in multi cam projects and its pretty solid. Its not really expensive and since you already are on mac anyway.

Still working out my workflow, almost there.. this is most recent:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: mbaum and Solo man
I ended up with final cut pro x (FCPX) on a macbook pro from a project as partial payment(dont ask), and it is performing pretty well. I have edited some pretty intensive high bitrates/codecs in multi cam projects and its pretty solid. Its not really expensive and since you already are on mac anyway.

Still working out my workflow, almost there.. this is most recent:

This was not done with a 3dr was it? Looks like you had some far distance on video. What settings/GoPro filter did you have? Awsome edited video...

This was not done with a 3dr was it? Looks like you had some far distance on video. What settings/GoPro filter did you have? Awsome edited video...
Thanks for checking it out...Yes its a SOLO...its bone stock everything..no filters. Still testing out of box capabilities, before I commit to next purchases...right now busy marrying a pelican case to a military ALICE pack..really versatile. Stock antenna distances have been generally 1000-2000ft with the longest being 5000ft in perfect rural conditions. I will probably upgrade Tx antennas in near future...still on fence re: doing a lens swap..

The GPHero4black footage was shot 2.7k/60 , Medium FOV, with Protune, ISO 400, flat....

I have done some editing through gopro as well as Imovie software. It is awesome from the responses on the forum which I thank you for. I want to take it another step but have spent so much money already and want the best editing software for my $. I was told adobe which is very reputable but super expensive and I don't like the new monthly per month charge like microsoft 360.. Any suggestions guys? I use a Mac.

Here is some great discussion on the subject..

Premiere pro, once you get past the learning curve is hard to beat
and it does a great job leveraging hardware. That is where too many programs fall short.
Why have a ton of horsepower if you software does not use it

Check my videos, i use final cut pro, and i start using Premiere cc 2015 and if u are familiar with i movie or final cut, premiere will b easy fallow me Norman.abc

Reactions: SurfnSkate81
FCP X here. But don't get caught up in needing better hardware or software. If there is somethings by specific you need that iMovie won't do, yes upgrade. But Adobe will not magically make movies better.

FCP X will offer more tracks and will be easy to learn. It is plenty powerful for Hollywood and costs less than Adobe.

I have Hitfilm 4 Pro also (long time customer of FX Home), but use it more like After Effects, and still get most done with the ignite plugins that could me with.

It runs nice on an MBPro and renders faster than Competitors from what I've read.

Reactions: EyeWingsuit
Goods things i did not know here...but...
Let's say I want a user-friendly software, and I don't need the most powerful software. : what do you suggest guys ?
(And I don't to spend 300$ neither)

Last edited:
Sony series is not Mac Compatible. What are you wanting to do that iMovie cannot do? Ask yourself this first. Is iMovie the limit? Have other iMovie users ran into this problem? Did they work around it?
Editing basic cuts isn't difficult. Multiple tracks, syncing sound, and key frames starts getting challenging.

FCP X is the cheapest of the "Pro" software. It is the most like iMovie in use, so it will be the shortest learning curve for you.

Adobe is the most popular for semi-pro-sumers, but $50 a month turns into $300 fast. Part of that popularity is piracy. IF you are getting paid for your work, you don't want to get busted using pirated software.

Hitfilm Express is free, and more powerful than iMovie. I find Hitfilm a bit more difficult to use than FCP X.

As far as it goes, you have a $400 camera on a $1000 drone (plus any other cameras and lenses you shoot with). Going cheap on the software that processes every single shot you take may not be the best move.

Oh, forgot to mention above, I correct my GoPro lens distortion in GP Studio before import into FCP X. The only way I know to do so in FCP X isn't as good. Someone is working on a plugin, but I haven't seen it yet.

Edit - Which reminded me to go looking and found a plugin to correct wide angle distortion at Alex4d.com -- free.

Last edited:
did Pat say he was on Mac?
missed it

I am on Windows 7!

And my software question is not business related. Its just for fun, and I will trim and process a few videos in a year, let's say maybe 10-12.

Thanks guys !!

the OP was mac related so I guess you and I are off topic
my recommendations were for you, not everyone is in love with Mac LOL

Reactions: Solo Keith
Yeah...sorry... I feel like an intruder.. lol
I am not Mac, and I added a question in someone's question... Doh!!!!

Maybe I should have started my own thread? Doh!!

For the money? Not much question about that: DaVinci Resolve. The best color grading I have ever seen and it is free!

FCP used to be real editing software but is now just glorified iMovie. Many say it is still handier than Resolve for stringing clips together and recommend it for that while you do the heavy lifting in Resolve.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Granny