Dying Slow Death?

Reaction score
Ok, just about have had it with Solo...patience has run out, sadly. Latest symptom is this:

Boot up Solo and controller, Solo boots up fine except that at the completion of the boot up, the gimbal goes limp for about 5 seconds, and then recovers to level. Subsequent flight is okay, LED lights all normal. After half a dozen power ups, same sequence, except the gimbal decides to go full face down after going limp for a short period, and Solo will not connect to the tablet or controller. The green pulsating light on the gimbal stays on and looks normal. Grounded.

A full reset of the controller and the aircraft apparently fixes the issue, except the limping gimbal/recovery still happens. Wifi connections are okay, aircraft flies normally. Chances are high this is going to keep repeating.

I've done the resets, all calibrations, swapped out the gimbal to a spare, all to no avail. Something is clearly wrong, and probably beyond my ability to fix locally.

DJI Phantom 4 is becoming more than just a possibility. Sad, what with the $$$ I've dumped into this machine.

Last edited:
Reactions: aidanlou
Ok, just about have had it with Solo...patience has run out, sadly. Latest symptom is this:

Boot up Solo and controller, Solo boots up fine except that at the completion of the boot up, the gimbal goes limp for about 5 seconds, and then recovers to level. Subsequent flight is okay, LED lights all normal. After half a dozen power ups, same sequence, except the gimbal decides to go full face down after going limp for a short period, and Solo will not connect to the tablet or controller. The green pulsating light on the gimbal stays on and looks normal. Grounded.

A full reset of the controller and the aircraft apparently fixes the issue, except the limping gimbal/recovery still happens. Wifi connections are okay, aircraft flies normally. Chances are high this is going to keep repeating.

I've done the resets, all calibrations, swapped out the gimbal to a spare, all to no avail. Something is clearly wrong, and probably beyond my ability to fix locally.

DJI Phantom 4 is becoming more than just a possibility. Sad, what with the $$$ I've dumped into this machine.
Hey Paul, Just for giggles; have you done a stick calibration? It's fixed a variety of issues that I still do not understand, but it's something that 3DR has recommended for gimbal issues.
Sticks Calibration - For Mac
Sticks Calibration - For Windows

The gimbal behavior you described is part of the initialization process during startup.
You wrote the subsequent flight was ok. So what is the problem?

the limp on boot up is normal on 2.4 firmware and 2,4 android.
Mine does it every time since the update.
Does not impact flying.

Reactions: Paul Emmert
I think it is this part he was referring to:
" After half a dozen power ups, same sequence, except the gimbal decides to go full face down after going limp for a short period, and Solo will not connect to the tablet or controller. The green pulsating light on the gimbal stays on and looks normal"

If I read that correctly, the camera stays face down and the solo will not connect.

then that could be sticks like you said.
Or something as simple as pull the battery on the controller

Or grab a P4 LOL

Reactions: Paul Emmert
The gimbal behavior you described is part of the initialization process during startup.
You wrote the subsequent flight was ok. So what is the problem?
"After half a dozen power ups, same sequence, except the gimbal decides to go full face down after going limp for a short period, and Solo will not connect to the tablet or controller. The green pulsating light on the gimbal stays on and looks normal. Grounded."

As I originally posted, after a few normal boot ups, no connection can be established from the Solo...this has happened three times now within the last couple of weeks...always with the gimbal pointing straight down.

I just did a stick calibration, and booted up several times with no observed problems (except for apparently normal gimbal pointing correctly, then limping, then back up again..)

Maybe fixed?

it helped mine after the 2.4 firmware update
don't worry about the temp gimbal drop on boot up

Ok, I thought that was abnormal and a contributing symptom. I've been able to restart several times now uneventfully, maybe just a temporary anomaly.

I think it is this part he was referring to:
" After half a dozen power ups, same sequence, except the gimbal decides to go full face down after going limp for a short period, and Solo will not connect to the tablet or controller. The green pulsating light on the gimbal stays on and looks normal"

If I read that correctly, the camera stays face down and the solo will not connect.

That's' right...but I haven't been able to repeat the behavior after the stick calibration....could that be it?

then that could be sticks like you said.
Or something as simple as pull the battery on the controller

Or grab a P4 LOL
Did the battery pull from the controller, and the stick calibration, we'll see :)

So after another full reset, and at least 6 successful boot ups last Sunday, I put Solo away, until today (Tuesday) I decided to take it out and see what happens. Well, back to square one - boot up, gimbal wakes up, gimbal falls limp, gimbal wakes back up and promptly goes full down, followed by no connection to controller. This event was especially fun today because I got to listen to multiple "controller lost" chimes, and flashing/alternating red lights.

It appeared to be working fine when I put it through multiple start-ups, put it away, three days later it won't fly.

This POS is going to the dumpster...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nothingworks