Done to death GPS mod :-)

Reaction score
Ok,
I have 3 Solos............ "My name's Aussie and I'm a Soloholic.....I have a problem, don't judge me".

2 of which have Rev A boards (green, please correct me if I am wrong) and one has a Rev B (black board)
I am wondering, for testing purposes, should I put an mRobotics M8N in one,

mRo GPS u-Blox Neo-M8N / 3DR SOLO Upgrade ,

and a V2 GPS from Ready To Fly Quads

Mini uBlox M8N GPS GLONASS W/ (35x35mm) Mounting backplane and Compass V2

(unless someone has already done this to all three of their Solos (point me to the thread please)).

Reasons,
Rev B is supposed to be pretty good and I haven't had a problem with it so far
mRobotics is the "Ants Pants" GPS module but is $80, Plug 'n Play
Ready To Fly is said to be quite good, needs some wiring soldered but is only $30 (at time of post)

What do you guys reckon?

Aussie

Reactions: SARDG
Wow. A totally new topic that hasn't been asked in the last 4 hours.....

I reckon you should do whatever you want. You are clearly aware of and have read the 20 million posts on this topic in the last week alone. Which means you are very well aware of what we all reckon already. You're not going to get a different answer this time than you read in any other thread of this exact topic in the last several weeks. Nothing has changed. Do what your wallet is comfortable with and what you are personally comfortable with. You're in Austrailia so that could very well effect what is economically feasible when it comes to shipping.

Wow. A totally new topic that hasn't been asked in the last 4 hours.....

I reckon you should do whatever you want. You are clearly aware of and have read the 20 million posts on this topic in the last week alone. Which means you are very well aware of what we all reckon already. You're not going to get a different answer this time than you read in any other thread of this exact topic in the last several weeks. Nothing has changed. Do what your wallet is comfortable with and what you are personally comfortable with. You're in Austrailia so that could very well effect what is economically feasible when it comes to shipping.

Yeah, I know P2P, I have read MANY of the posts. It gets overwhelming with all the "i reckon this and the other bloke is wrong........no I'm not, this is better" bull crap.
I was just wondering if I should just do 2 of the mRobotics and be done with it. I'm in AZ so I don't have to worry about the crappy Aussie dollar conversion.
Would you do both with mRobo for the small price difference.?

Aussie

Aussie, don't fell bad, I'm up to "6" Solo's !!!! It's nice to keep one stock, for comparison purposes. And your idea of trying the Ready to Fly Quads unit would be interesting, as a side by side comparison. Go for it! And let us know your results. I have one of the MRO's in my main Solo, another one still in it's box, and yet another waiting at the post office. They work, I've got all the Solo stuff I should ever need.

Reactions: Aussie in AZ
Mrobotics for any active flyer
I have rev b in my backup, but if for some reason I lost my primary I would upgrade my backup
just cant beet the m8n

Reactions: Aussie in AZ
Formerly 4, now 3 Solo owner here (gave one to my nephew). All have the Mro pucks. To me, just the fact that I don't have to cut into the original cable is worth the extra 30 or so dollars over the RTFQ chip (which, to really fit properly needs the IMP Concepts adapter). I now have several RTFQ and Drotek M8N chips sitting there because after the Mro gps came out, I never looked back.

Yeah, I know P2P, I have read MANY of the posts. It gets overwhelming with all the "i reckon this and the other bloke is wrong........no I'm not, this is better" bull crap.
I was just wondering if I should just do 2 of the mRobotics and be done with it. I'm in AZ so I don't have to worry about the crappy Aussie dollar conversion.
Would you do both with mRobo for the small price difference.?

Aussie
I have 2 Solo's, and did the mRobotics M8N in both. The fact they are plug and play meant a lot, since I did not want to learn how to solder on my Solo. So, for me, the price was well worth it, not only for the ease of install, but for the end results. They work great. Good luck to you.

I am wondering, for testing purposes, should I put an mRobotics M8N in one,

and a V2 GPS from Ready To Fly Quads

I have that GPS from RTFQ, actually have two of them. They work reasonably well, and I'm find putting them in cheap DIY quads or on land vehicles (I made my son's RC truck autonomous), but I wouldn't trust my Solo to one.

I had tested that GPS against the stock Solo and a Drotek M8N. The RTFQ got more satellites, but the position fix drifted more than the stock Solo as displayed in Mission Planner over a 15 minute test. Also, when the latest 3.01 uBlox firmware was released which supports 3 simultaneous constellations on M8Ns, I attempted to upgrade the RTFQ unit and bricked it... and I used the exact same procedure that successfully updated several genuine uBlox M8Ns. So, that's a pretty good indication the RTFQ unit is a counterfeit device. Again, I'm not knocking it, the other one I have has worked fine... but both cost (drone+camera) and weight/performance and the damage and/or injury that could result in a loss of control, I wouldn't trust my Solo to one.

If you want a better-than-stock GPS but don't want to swing for the mRo unit, at least buy a Drotek: Ublox NEO-M8 GPS breakout board It's not THAT much more than the RTFQ, and it's genuine/can be updated.

Reactions: SARDG
I sprung for the mRobotics GPS unit. Not only am I a Dronaholic, I'm also a PayPalaholic. They make it so damn easy to spend money.
I'll do one and then see about the cheaper GPS unit for #3 just for shits and giggles.

Thanks for all your thoughts fellas

Cheers
Aussie

Well I must say that I am thoroughly impressed with the MRO GPS. Locked in with 9 sats within a minute and got to 23 sats shortly there after.
Went out to 1100 feet and RTL was activated. She landed within a meter of take off.
Love this thing [emoji16][emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mRobotics.io GPS upgrade hands down...the best of your options.........

I also must say that my $12 DIY Headplay goggles are the $#!T !!!
I have been practicing goggle FPV with my Tiny Whoop and this is WAY cool with SOLO.

Attachments

• IMG_4494.JPG
    IMG_4494.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 51
  • IMG_4495.JPG
    IMG_4495.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 46
Formerly 4, now 3 Solo owner here (gave one to my nephew). All have the Mro pucks. To me, just the fact that I don't have to cut into the original cable is worth the extra 30 or so dollars over the RTFQ chip (which, to really fit properly needs the IMP Concepts adapter). I now have several RTFQ and Drotek M8N chips sitting there because after the Mro gps came out, I never looked back.
Cheebs, I purchased a RFTQ GPS and wondering about the IMP adapter you referred to for it to fit? I went to the IMP site and did not see adapter, only one for stock or Mro GPS's

Cheebs, I purchased a RFTQ GPS and wondering about the IMP adapter you referred to for it to fit? I went to the IMP site and did not see adapter, only one for stock or Mro GPS's

You're right, it's not there anymore. They may have discontinued it due to lack of demand. Let me look around my mess, I'm pretty sure I have an extra one. I always buy 2 or more of everything.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pvt solo