DIY drone from solo parts

Reaction score
Is it possible to use the autopilot (pixhawk) and the rest of the electronics to build and fly a DIY hexacoptor or octocoptor AND USE THE SOLO CONTROLER? AND HOW?

You could definitely build a drone from the parts as far as adding motors the easiest way I see possible is with an octocopter built like a quad with the props one above the other. I would splice the motors so it would still think there were only 4. You would just have to make sure you splice to the right motor and have the props on the correct orientation.

I'm sure there are other ways that is just the simplest coming to mind.

That it hasn't been done yet makes me think making a hex would be difficult, as the Solo only has 4 motor outputs, but as Tony said, you can build an octo using only 4 outputs by dividing each motor signal wire in two, with each going to a separate ESC and controlling a top and bottom motor. The configuration is called an X8 - 8 motors in an X configuration with one on top and the other below each arm. Read up on optimal X8 builds, I believe you get the most efficiency with a lower kv motor with a larger prop on top and a slightly higher kv motor and smaller prop on bottom.

I definitely have a custom quad or octo in mind for one of my Solos. I'm fine with the GoPro camera, but what I'd really like is a solid 25 to 30 minutes of flight time.

That it hasn't been done yet makes me think making a hex would be difficult, as the Solo only has 4 motor outputs, but as Tony said, you can build an octo using only 4 outputs by dividing each motor signal wire in two, with each going to a separate ESC and controlling a top and bottom motor. The configuration is called an X8 - 8 motors in an X configuration with one on top and the other below each arm. Read up on optimal X8 builds, I believe you get the most efficiency with a lower kv motor with a larger prop on top and a slightly higher kv motor and smaller prop on bottom.

I definitely have a custom quad or octo in mind for one of my Solos. I'm fine with the GoPro camera, but what I'd really like is a solid 25 to 30 minutes of flight time.

I'm with you, I'm wanting a solid 30 minutes flight time. I have a couple ideas to make it reality.

For a quad on a different frame...yes. for an octo...no. the solo consists of two major components. the pixhawk flight controller and the imx companion computer. the pixhawk doesn't care what 4 motors are attached to it. So if you were to transplant the mainboard to any frame, it would be a solo on a different frame. Simply wire up the new motors to the mainboard (ignore the LEDS). Boom...you would be able to control the aircraft. And if you use the solo gimbal on this new frame, you would have smartshots as well.

edit: octo (x8) will work as long as you use resistors between M1-M4 and each esc/motor.

Last edited:
For a hex...yes. for an octo...no.

Can you elaborate on that? For a hex, you'd need two more PWM motor outputs in addition to the current 4. For an Octo, as far as I'm aware, you can divide the 4 PWM signal wires in two, and feed them to two independent ESCs driving two separate motors per arm in an X8 config.

Can you elaborate on that? For a hex, you'd need two more PWM motor outputs in addition to the current 4. For an Octo, as far as I'm aware, you can divide the 4 PWM signal wires in two, and feed them to two independent ESCs driving two separate motors per arm in an X8 config.

Sorry. I meant a quad. and as far as octo, I'm strictly talking wire to wire. for an x8 I guess as long as you use a gate resistor (or similar) then it will work the same as a quad.

Sorry. I meant a quad. and as far as octo, I'm strictly talking wire to wire. for an x8 I guess as long as you use a gate resistor (or similar) then it will work the same as a quad.

Gotchya, wasn't sure if was any way to get two more PWM outputs from the accessory bay and configure them as motors. Ahh well, I like the redundancy of an octo, but for efficiency, a quad would be easier to get to a 30 minute flight time.

Is there a limit to the voltage on thenpixhawk? I want to transplant solo to Walkera Voyager 3 frame and motors. It runs in 28 volts.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44