Disarm mid flight

Reaction score
My solo has now disarmed itself 3 times mid-flight, while on auto mode.
The first time I managed to save it by boosting the throttle (I suspect this happened because Solo was close), 2nd and 3rd time not so lucky...
Battery connection, GPS, Compass cali, telemetry, all in order during these flights (at least appeared to be).

Anyone else have this problem?
Solutions?

The motors shut down, yet you pushed the throttle stick up and they came back on?? What happened after that? FYI, there is no normal circumstance where this is normal, and that is not "disarming". If it was disarmed, the motors wouldn't spool back up after pushing up the stick.

Reactions: Ian [P13]
The only time this behaviour would occur would be if we've assigned Stabilize to a key and hit it by mistake, at least that's the only scenario that jumps to mind.

The motors shut down, yet you pushed the throttle stick up and they came back on?? What happened after that? FYI, there is no normal circumstance where this is normal, and that is not "disarming". If it was disarmed, the motors wouldn't spool back up after pushing up the stick.

On the first flight that this happened, the drone was close to me, I pushed the throttle and it sparked up (I cannot explain why...), the drone proceeded to hover and I brought it home. I understand this is not normal... and "disarming" is the only word I can use because on the other two flights this happened, Solo fell straight down (as if disarmed).

The only time this behaviour would occur would be if we've assigned Stabilize to a key and hit it by mistake, at least that's the only scenario that jumps to mind.

Even if that was the case, Solo didn't stabilize, the motors shut off and Solo fell freely to the ground.

In Stabilize mode below mid throttle would turn the motors off.

The only other way to kill the motors is holding down A B and pause. Maybe make sure none of those buttons are sticking down.

You should send a log in from when it happens to support so they can find the cause. I've never heard of any other Solo user reporting this. There's been 2 or 3 brown outs I've heard of, but you can't recover from those.

Will send logs to support. Was checking if anyone else had this problem...

Anyways, I was performing a survey when all this happened, in other words I was not pressing any buttons (buttons were not stuck down) or moving the throttle... and remember this happened three times. I hope 3dr support will help, thanks for your time.

Will send logs to support. Was checking if anyone else had this problem...

Anyways, I was performing a survey when all this happened, in other words I was not pressing any buttons (buttons were not stuck down) or moving the throttle... and remember this happened three times. I hope 3dr support will help, thanks for your time.
So you're using Tower? Have you changed any Solo settings with Tower? Maybe this is a Tower bug as there's been nothing of this nature mentioned using the Solo app say with the cablecam.

What's your radio failsafe set to do on Tower, is it RTL?

Last edited:
I was using Droid Planner. Only Paramater changed was waypoint speed.

I used Droid Planner, the only setting I changed was the horizontal waypoint parameter to 5m/s.
Failsafe was RTH.

Droidplanner and Tower are the same thing, but Droidplanner is now well out of date and likely no longer fully compatible. Upgrade to Tower and try the same type of mission.

In Stabilize mode below mid throttle would turn the motors off..
Bringing the stick below 50% in stabilize does not turn the motors off. Not even remotely close. Even if you brought the stick all the way down to the bottom, it would only reduce to the specified minimum throttle parameter, which is certainly not zero. It's fairly linear from minimum to maximum, curved to ensure 50% is enough to hover with the battery full.

Bringing the stick below 50% in stabilize does not turn the motors off. Not even remotely close. Even if you brought the stick all the way down to the bottom, it would only reduce to the specified minimum throttle parameter, which is certainly not zero. It's fairly linear from minimum to maximum, curved to ensure 50% is enough to hover with the battery full.
Fair enough, I just recall a few Iris owners losing their copters from have the throttle down when on Missions and when the tablet lost connection it would fail over to the transmitter then splat!

Fair enough, I just recall a few Iris owners losing their copters from have the throttle down when on Missions and when the tablet lost connection it would fail over to the transmitter then splat!

That's just plain pilot error. In no case, were the motors turning off. They're just going to minimum throttle. Or, a throttle setting that is otherwise too low to sustain flight. This happened to people who created an auto mission that included takeoff. They forget to put the throttle stick up to 50-60% to account for the mission ending or stopping.

As others said :
- disarm in Arducopter means shutdown of all motors. Before the FC accepts any throttle command the FC needs to be armed again which means all preflight checks have to be passed again. This takes a while, and any drone would have long before crashed on the ground.

What the OP observed, is either:
- a switch to another non altitude controlled flight mode, such as Stabilize. If the throttle stick was below mid point, the drone would suddenly go into a steep drop, but can be immediately rescued by full throttle up.
- or while setting waypoint speed accidentally the waypoint altitude was changed

Logs could tell. I would certainly not recommend to fly Droidplanner, since it is outdated but rather stick with the latest Tower release.

Hypothetical question (for me at least - I'm NOT trying this): would the quad rearm in free-fall? Even with going to manual? Not that this means anything, but in the simulator, you can A-B-Pause at height, arm, and recover before hitting the ground.

No it won't.
Pre arm check requires the copter to be on stable ground.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pvt solo