Compression versus Tension - Gimbal

An update: I was able to further reduce the micro vibes. I'm extremely satisfied with the results at this point. The clarity was remarkable in most aspects for flight of my test routine, I believe I've obtained my goal. Unfortunately I ran short of time to compile a video shot this morning to present, dam day job.... Anyway, will shoot some real video this weekend as the hardware is presently and present the results.
Rich,
You're killing us man That looked really good! Do you think they'd notice if I showed up at your work in your place so you could take time to show us what you did?

I have put expanding foam earplugs inside the rubber damper and gotten good results. Take one earplug and spin it between your fingers to make it look like a toothpick. Carefully and quickly slide the earplug into the rubber damper and let it expand inside the damper. Helps provide good vib dampening very cheaply.
Thanks, I did try that as well, but didn't improve beyond what was my solution up to that point. I know others have had success with the plugs, just didn't work for me...

Rich,
You're killing us man That looked really good! Do you think they'd notice if I showed up at your work in your place so you could take time to show us what you did?
Not intended to tease y'all with the videos, just needed someone else's perspective.

Regarding stand-in, they likely wouldn't notice until payday....

Here's the latest test....

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Here is what I don't get... Why are so many people "testing" a Gimbal by flying as rad as they can!? Do you realize that the frame is moving around so much, that it is impossible to tell if the Gimbal actually stabilizes the footage or not, ha ha.

Test it by flying realistically.

Take it to a hover, point the Gimbal at something at let it sit there. Preferably at 100 feet or so. This way the frame is not shifting much. NOW you can tell if your Gimbal works fine.

Fly fast forward. See what happens. NOW you can tell if your Gimbal works as it should.

Stop all this freaking back and forth like it's in an earthquake, ha ha.

Thanks,

P.s. This is constructive criticism. Think about it. I am not saying this to drag you down.

Solo,

Criticism is a good thing! We've all been doing more realistic tests as well. We're just taking it to extremes trying to alleviate as much vibration as possible. At this point I think Rich is winning, he's got me beat!

Jerry

Here is what I don't get... Why are so many people "testing" a Gimbal by flying as rad as they can!? Do you realize that the frame is moving around so much, that it is impossible to tell if the Gimbal actually stabilizes the footage or not, ha ha.

Test it by flying realistically.

Take it to a hover, point the Gimbal at something at let it sit there. Preferably at 100 feet or so. This way the frame is not shifting much. NOW you can tell if your Gimbal works fine.

Fly fast forward. See what happens. NOW you can tell if your Gimbal works as it should.

Stop all this freaking back and forth like it's in an earthquake, ha ha.

Thanks,

P.s. This is constructive criticism. Think about it. I am not saying this to drag you down.

Thank you for your input. If I wanted a 40' tripod or uni-pod I'd build one and would have saved myself a heap of money and time. Why is that you would settle for a static camera view for testing purposes. Wouldn't you agree the purpose is stability in flight...for whatever type of flight.

I had a goal to achieve, sorry that it appears to you and others as unobtainable. Thank you for the constructive criticism. Good luck!

Some of us just like to play with our toys more than others.
Many people who see my stock footage wonder why i am fooling with this at all.
Mine works just fine.
I like better than fine.

My hemi ran good, it runs better now that I put it on a Dyno and had a pro tune the engine

Thank you for your input. If I wanted a 40' tripod or uni-pod I'd build one and would have saved myself a heap of money and time. Why is that you would settle for a static camera view for testing purposes. Wouldn't you agree the purpose is stability in flight...for whatever type of flight.

I had a goal to achieve, sorry that it appears to you and others as unobtainable. Thank you for the constructive criticism. Good luck!

You say thank you, but you also say Good Luck. Good luck with what? Are you saying that if I don't do it "your" way, I am out of luck? I am not sure if my comment made you get "butt" hurt or not? Hard to tell. However, you can do whatever you like. You can perform any test you like. Set it on fire. It is your bird and you do with it as you please.

Having said that. This is an open forum. I simply asked why people perform these" tests". Tests, that in my opinion, show nothing.

I never said that I would want a 40' tripod. The reason why I said that you should stay in a steady hover is, because that way you can focus on one of the bigger problems this Gimbal has.

Micro-vibrations.

My, and pretty much all other Gimbals I ever read about, are not having an issue with keeping the frame stabilized, or "level". They are all having an issue with vibrations. In one form or another. So what would the purpose be of throwing your bird around like that, if we already know what the Gimbal performs great when it comes to stabilizing and "leveling"!?

Of course do I agree the purpose is stability in flight. That is why I said you should hover AND fly fast forward. However, it seems that you are missing the point of what a gimbal is supposed to do?! I am surprised you are not mounting it on a 3D Helicopter to "test" if it can keep the footage stable or not, ha ha.

Rich, your test is useless. In general. I am sure some will find it "useful" but they know little about this stuff, or simply "justify" the test by saying, "I like it that way! It makes me feel better!" Good for you! You liking something is not an argument. It doesn't make something better, prettier, more valuable, faster, greater or what not.

If that would be the case, I would be able to knock everyone's teeth out, when I see them sitting in their car with the engine running, while they play on their f-ing phone... Right? I mean, if I like it, it must be "right"

Speaking of liking. I am glad that you like these kind of tests, but objectively, they are worthless.

I let you have the last word.

Unsubsribed

Some people were too long on "that" thread over on RCGroups… Do any of you guys here know what the Mario mod entails? It was mentioned several times over there but no one seems to know and the guy who does from youtube doesn't want to answer anyone. ( his footage is really good free of the micro vibes with a 5.4 even)

Damn! This place is getting tough! FWIW, I'm one of the idiots that likes these tests. Solo got me, it makes me "feel better" when my gimbal doesn't vibrate so much...at any and all speeds.

(Man, I gotta go find a thread that I can "unsubscribe" from, that looks cool!)

Jerry

I kind of get his point but that does not win an argument. He came in a thread, basically called everyone an idiot and stormed off.
If your position is sooooo strong you could make it without all the drama and maybe teach us something.
One element he is over looking, the micro vibrations due occur at faster speeds and with more aggressive flying. and that makes looking into it valid,
Even if only for us who are clueless LOL

Here's some video of my recent testing I did have a failure of the mod, at least from my perspective. At what point it failed I'm unsure, once landed. Even so, I obtained what I was hoping from the effort.

The video is not intended to be a feature series, the goal was the various angles of approach and how the gimbal/camera reacted. So take it for what it's worth. This particular video was testing yudders. I've somewhat isolated the micro vibes, but then the method used induced minor jello into the video. My effort here after is to combine the two, which I believe should provide the expected results.

It's been a process, but the information the videos and notes provide has been helpful. The challenge has been sourcing and processing the various materials. Keeping log notes is the other challenge, I have to make time that day.

fwiw, I've stopped shooting in 2.7k 60, this video was 1080 Med 60fps. Still a large file, but a time saver in processing the video. I have tapped a 1TB harddrive with the various videos taken, went out and bought two 2TB drives...

Side note, I'm working on reducing wind noise as well. Seemed to be good in this video, not constant like it has been. This was the first attempt using a new material, I'll be trying a few things over the next few weeks. The "burp" of the props and the whine of the motors is very telling....

Reactions: pyrate and J R
Poor lighting and a tad windy, but let me know what you think.... I'm unsure how the youtube version looks like at this point, my office computer/internet is not up to par to view. I had started the upload at home and l then went to work. The raw video looked very promising.

Again shot at 1080P60 M, default settings there after.... Will shoot 2.7K this weekend.

Another video in a short while, but here is the latest from my efforts. Ignore color and frame stepping. I'm not a photog, just a results engineer.

Used GP Studio, 2.7K 60 M, output to YT was at same resolution. Just chopped out to make a quick upload and sample video. WOW....I can actual see an end to this effort.

Reactions: J R
looks pretty good what is your secret?
Gummi Bears...;)

Looking at the YT version and then the raw version is night and day difference, obviously towards the raw version. Kind of bummed the YT version didn't present better. I was so excited by my results, then to see this...crap.

Gummi Bears...;)

Looking at the YT version and then the raw version is night and day difference, obviously towards the raw version. Kind of bummed the YT version didn't present better. I was so excited by my results, then to see this...crap.

Rich,

Why the secrecy? I'm having a difficult time eradicating my vibration issues. I follow all of what you post in hopes that I'll continue to learn the many things you are accomplishing. You stated in an earlier post that you weren't trying to "tease". I'm starting to feel teased. No disrespect intended.

Jerry

We're all having difficulty eradicating vibrations. At least I guess we are... Seems most are satisfied with what they have. Obviously I'm not as my work continues.

Feedback from you and others is supportive if given, otherwise it's just my perception. So what's your perspective see?

My main concern is that someone would attempt to implement on their gimbal a suggestion and end up with a dysfunctional gimbal.... Not what I have intended in sharing. Interested in drilling or cutting on your gimbal? Neither am I, but I'm in to $1000 more than originally. It's a process, tweak and then test. It's slow work. I'd like to see what quality motors do for the vibration. Then I can focus better with what I have learned. Or maybe I won't have to....

Reactions: J R
So what's your perspective see?

Actually yours is looking pretty good to me. I thought I already shared that with you but maybe not, maybe I just hit the "like" button.

My main concern is that someone would attempt to implement on their gimbal a suggestion and end up with a dysfunctional gimbal....

I hear you on that one. I sure wouldn't blame anyone but myself if I used a "suggested" potential solution from someone on these pages and it didn't work but that's just me.

I've tried about everything I can come up with. I tore it all apart again today hoping to find something I had missed. I even tried the "ear plug" in the isolator thing with some dense foam today. That was a "dense" idea. Boy, what a nightmare! It didn't work and when I tried to remove the foam it wouldn't come back out. Took me about an hour with a pair of tweezers to rip it all out.

I'm trying to share anything that I've attempted to do. I'm just pouring through these pages looking for the next thing to try. As many have said maybe it's a waste of time. I'd sure like to see it at least as good as my "white" one. I've got no jitter, judder, yudder or any other "er" in it.

Anyway, thanks for sharing what you have thus far and whatever you can in the future.

Jerry

Gummi Bears...;)

I think it looks very good too. I have also noticed the YT induced differences and switched to Vimeo, as it seems to be better on there. Have you tried them to see if there is an improvement?

Reactions: RichWest

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44