Compression versus Tension - Gimbal

Looks really good Rich! What did you do?

Jerry
Actually it's two different things being done to the hardware. I'm holding off revealing details at this point, I actually believe I can improve further. One should be a 3DR implementation, the other, well that's my secret sauce...

The problem in testing is the time spent tweaking and then a 5 minute video test. I've been repeating this testing process over the last two weeks. Rain, Dark of Night or my wife prevents me from keeping on track...I'm lucky to perform a test a day during the week.

I know YT infects a certain quality to the video, can't help that. But I've posted the video to get some actual feedback from users like myself or rather better than myself. I appreciate having some one else's eye on the test video, my wife thought is was fine a few weeks back.....;)

Reactions: J R
my wife felt that way too, your changes seem to address higher speed vibrations, i have most of mine out flying at low speeds.
Would love to know how you did that with that rapid of movement.

my wife thought is was fine a few weeks back.....;)

Rich,

Yeah, I know the feeling in all aspects! Tweaking and testing consumes a great deal of time. After viewing test clip after test clip the mind begins playing tricks on you. I've got crappy internet here so I could only comment on the 1080p. Aside from the "internet jerk" every now and again, looks pretty damned stable to me.

I ran three batteries through mine yesterday, mostly slow and different stuff to see how mine looks. Still need to cut it up and take a closer look. I'll be interested to hear what you did. All I've done so far is the motor balance, the HDMI ribbon cable and I swapped the props for a new set (still haven't received my prop balancer and rod yet, hopefully today). I'm fairly pleased with my results thus far but I think yours might be a bit better. Keep us posted, I'm extremely interested.

Jerry

Pyrate, You and JR would be the first candidates for trial beyond myself. Had already thought you were the guys to be critical enough to test. Be patient....can't promise a timeline just yet.

Balance both the motors and props to eliminate the obvious vibrations sources first. Ridding the micro vibes, that's the real challenge.

Reactions: pyrate and J R
No worries
I have the ribbon cable in mine, and have balanced everything and know for a fact I have one bad motor
That will be replaced tomorrow, with a new balanced pod.
Now I am running a 4.4 mm flat lens so vibrations are going to be more pronounced
But honestly, I am close at slow speeds. would love the ability to fly more aggressive and not lose my gains.

Now I am running a 4.4 mm flat lens so vibrations are going to be more pronounced
But honestly, I am close at slow speeds. would love the ability to fly more aggressive and not lose my gains.

I've been watching your other thread regarding lens as well as your test videos. Keep testing, it is helpful for me to see what other are experiencing. You to JR....;)

No worries
I have the ribbon cable in mine, and have balanced everything and know for a fact I have one bad motor

Pyrate,

I've got mine down pretty good too but not as good as my "white one". I've got 4 pods on order since the 5th and they haven't even gone to shipping yet. Just got off the phone with them a minute ago. I know I have one motor that's not quite on as well. Did you order your pods from Solo or a different source?

Jerry

(P.S. I'm also waiting on the 4.4 lens, any tips?)

FWIW, If the infected motor is the CW or black motor, be prepared for the replacement to be similar. The high Cogging Torque is more than likely the issue you'll see feel. It does not really affect the motors running at moderate to high RPM, but will induce a low Hz vibration when it slows down.

My really bad one is black, but I also have a marginal silver one
I put them both on the back to get where I am now, will check vibes on the replacements

My really bad one is black, but I also have a marginal silver one
I put them both on the back to get where I am now, will check vibes on the replacements

Pyrate,

Which motor number? I want to establish motor numbers. I think it will help everyone in the long run.

Jerry

FWIW, I'm unsure if Cogging Torque is a contributor to motor running vibration. With the results I'm getting now with stabilized video, I can test and should be able to determine if it is a contributor or not. That'll be a weekend project....motor pod swapping....just not enough time in a day.

An update: I was able to further reduce the micro vibes. I'm extremely satisfied with the results at this point. The clarity was remarkable in most aspects for flight of my test routine, I believe I've obtained my goal. Unfortunately I ran short of time to compile a video shot this morning to present, dam day job.... Anyway, will shoot some real video this weekend as the hardware is presently and present the results.

Reactions: z-axis and J R
Dang that will be too late to implement
Heading out Friday for a shoot over the weekend
Got my new pods in last night so will be installing and balancing those tonight

Dang that will be too late to implement
Heading out Friday for a shoot over the weekend
Got my new pods in last night so will be installing and balancing those tonight
Hopefully the new pods will improve yours.... Good luck on your travels...

Will do, with the new pods in and all 4 motors running at 25, 50, 75 and 100 the vibration was a lot lower. I also got the nd filters which should help at higher frame rates. will know after the shoot this weekend. I don't expect it to be that solid flying as aggressively as Rich,. aggressive always adds vibration for me. still trying to figure out how he did that. I will look at replacing the bearings in my old pods

I have put expanding foam earplugs inside the rubber damper and gotten good results. Take one earplug and spin it between your fingers to make it look like a toothpick. Carefully and quickly slide the earplug into the rubber damper and let it expand inside the damper. Helps provide good vib dampening very cheaply.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44