Can solo orbit a moving object?

Reaction score
Hey I'm not a newbie to drones but i am a newbie to 3dr solo and I was wondering if solo could orbit a moving object/controller ( because it would be really useful when I'm sailing)

If not then will it be part of the new "boat mode" update?

Yes, it's easy. Just do a "Follow" smart shot with the orbit option. Read all about it in section 6.6, "Follow", in the Solo User Manual (pages 57-59).

Reactions: SJCaley
Yes, it's easy. Just do a "Follow" smart shot with the orbit option. Read all about it in section 6.6, "Follow", in the Solo User Manual (pages 57-59).
Thank you, can't wait to try that out on my boat :) :)

Thank you, can't wait to try that out on my boat :) :)
You don't need Solex for that particular SS, But Solo will not Launch from any moving platform.
Owners User who updated there Solo's with the G.Cube, then they can Launch from most any moving platform Car's, Boats, Bikes etc...
Many other benefits.

Read here for a little more info.
Guide to Install & Setup the Green Cube on your Solo.

Last edited:
You don't need Solex for that particular SS, But Solo will not Launch for any moving platform.
User who updated there Solo's with the G.Cube, then they can Launch from most any moving platform Car's, Boats, Bikes etc...
Many other benefits.

Read here for a little more info.
Guide to Install & Setup the Green Cube on your Solo.
When 3dr release the new boat update the solo will be able to initialise and take off from a moving platform anyway.

When 3dr release the new boat update the solo will be able to initialise and take off from a moving platform anyway.
??
Your late to the party!
3DR is NOT releasing any updates for Solo for Android at all.
3DR may release something minor for the iOS platform, But that's' going to be it..
You don't need to update, ok...

Reactions: Kelly Schrock
??
Your late to the party!
3DR is NOT releasing any updates for Solo for Android at all.
3DR may release something minor for the iOS platform, But that's' going to be it..
You don't need to update, ok...
They are releasing a pretty major update including boat mode and a couple more smart shots as well. Would much rather use 3dr developed software for their drone rather than some 3rd party software. Want to keep the warranty

That's strange... This is the same blog post (or very similar to it) that was released sometime in 2015 if memory serves. Colin Guinn doesn't work for 3DR now, and they're out of the consumer market altogether.

Just so you know, the "3rd party software" you refer to is the same code that the Solo runs anyway, but massively updated. It's probably more accurate to say that 3DR is the "3rd party" when it comes to the code that runs the Solo's flight controller.

Reactions: DJMc
Oh @Kelly Schrock , I believe this request has your name all over it....

If I were on a boat and wanted the Solo to follow me, I would be using "Follow me" in the 3DR app, or "Follow/Me" in Solex. That tracks the device's GPS and will follow it. From there, you can hit the forward/back buttons or use the right stick to orbit at will. Good luck getting the Solo in the air from a rocking boat deck though. :)

If I were on a boat and wanted the Solo to follow me, I would be using "Follow me" in the 3DR app, or "Follow/Me" in Solex. That tracks the device's GPS and will follow it. From there, you can hit the forward/back buttons or use the right stick to orbit at will. Good luck getting the Solo in the air from a rocking boat deck though. :)
I'll look into solex then. Sounds pretty good. Might have to take off from the beach and then do a manual land into my hand on the boat when i need to land.

I'll look into solex then. Sounds pretty good. Might have to take off from the beach and then do a manual land into my hand on the boat when i need to land.

That would work. One thing to keep in mind with Solo, don't try to get it to follow you if you're moving faster than about 25 mph. At high speed/lean angles, a low-pressure area develops under the Solo's body, which causes the barometer to think it's rising. It will compensate by lowering altitude. If you're flying manually, you notice this and either slow down or give it more throttle. In Follow Mode, Solo will prioritize following you over antiquated concerns like, say, staying in the air. :)

That would work. One thing to keep in mind with Solo, don't try to get it to follow you if you're moving faster than about 25 mph. At high speed/lean angles, a low-pressure area develops under the Solo's body, which causes the barometer to think it's rising. It will compensate by lowering altitude. If you're flying manually, you notice this and either slow down or give it more throttle. In Follow Mode, Solo will prioritize following you over antiquated concerns like, say, staying in the air. :)
Great advice. I tend not to go above 25mph anyway unless I'm racing (and I definitely won't be piloting while I'm racing) so hopefully I won't run into that problem. It would be very embarrassing indeed if my drone lowered itself into the water :)

Great advice. I tend not to go above 25mph anyway unless I'm racing (and I definitely won't be piloting while I'm racing) so hopefully I won't run into that problem. It would be very embarrassing indeed if my drone lowered itself into the water :)

Crashing into the water would definitely diminish the "cool factor" :)

They are releasing a pretty major update including boat mode and a couple more smart shots as well. Would much rather use 3dr developed software for their drone rather than some 3rd party software. Want to keep the warranty
Once again, no they are not. Everything about that is completely wrong.

Please note the data. That says May of 2016. Which is a few months before 3DR gave up and shut down their consumer drone end of the business. There isn't even anyone working there to do this, they were all laid off. This is long over with. There is no more Solo development coming from 3DR, and there hasn't been in about a year now.

Once again, no they are not. Everything about that is completely wrong.

Please note the data. That says May of 2016. Which is a few months before 3DR gave up and shut down their consumer drone end of the business. There isn't even anyone working there to do this, they were all laid off. This is long over with. There is no more Solo development coming from 3DR, and there hasn't been in about a year now.
That's a shame

What sailboat does over 25mph even racing?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pvt solo