Bungee jumping shot!

Reaction score
I need to shoot a friend's bungee jump. I've already told her to strap a GoPro to herself for the jump, but she wants a drone shot. I can't drop the drone fast enough to catch it all up close. I know I can shoot it from a distance. I could send two drones...I dunno. Any ideas?

Here's the bridge where she will be jumping from. Its an old railroad bridge that spans the Kentucky River. You will see tents set up on the bridge by the bungee company. I flew for the bridge shots this day, no one was jumping.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Start your shot from directly above, then descend and pull away from the bridge as she leaps, gimballing up as you go. Should give a nice series of shots of the bounces .

Reactions: Soupdaddy
I know you're joking, but damn are there times I wish I COULD fly inverted with the gimbal to the sky, maybe that should make the OpenSolo wish list? I realize it'd require either custom props or at least one set that wouldn't unscrew if the motors were reversed, but that seems easy if there were a way to get the Pixhawk to recognize it as a valid flight mode.

mount your static gopro mount to top of Solo and you can film above but no live feed....or use a 360 camera on static mount along with gimbal mounted camera .

I believe just_Bruce has the right idea maybe though be head level backed off maybe 15 feet. You could try a practice shot with a small piece of a log. Something that won't drift in the air but large enough you can track, and won't care where it ends up.

If time permits- I would film another person's jump and scrutinize that footage- then you will have a better understanding of what worked best and what didn't.

Reactions: DJMc
I believe just_Bruce has the right idea maybe though be head level backed off maybe 15 feet. You could try a practice shot with a small piece of a log. Something that won't drift in the air but large enough you can track, and won't care where it ends up.

I agree with you there. The further back I get, the more action I will capture. Practice shots would be nice. Perhaps someone else will jump before her, or I could talk her into two jumps!

Strapping extra cameras to the drone sounds a little dicey :confused:

If I get half decent results, I will post the footage.

Tracer- I would also suggest the gopro chesty- ( as long as it doesn't interfere with her safety harness ) and then edit the different footage together... you may want to start with her view first and what she is looking at...( beads of sweat pouring from her forehead and knees knocking together so loud it sounds like a Hemi ) then go to the drones footage and then her footage as she vomits as the bungees whip her back towards the bridge- I'm seeing an Emmy- or a comedy- or a part-time gig making money as others will want to capture their adventures.?

Reactions: artcuda
Tracer- I would also suggest the gopro chesty- ( as long as it doesn't interfere with her safety harness ) and then edit the different footage together... you may want to start with her view first and what she is looking at...( beads of sweat pouring from her forehead and knees knocking together so loud it sounds like a Hemi ) then go to the drones footage and then her footage as she vomits as the bungees whip her back towards the bridge- I'm seeing an Emmy- or a comedy- or a part-time gig making money as others will want to capture their adventures.?

She does plan to wear a GoPro as well. Her first view will be of the drone looking back at her! She's done it before, so there will be more anticipation than fear.

Always the ultimate goal is to make money...it will become part of our marketing material if I can fly it right!

USMC86 got some great points. To really hype up the video. You as well about using prior participants. That would be ideal. To make it worth it for them offer to give them a copy. They log was if you can try flying it with no one there. Please post it regardless raw and edited, and how you do it.

Oh are you going to use cable cam mode to control your descent. That way you can concentrate on manipulating the gimbal keeping your friend in shot, and not crashing.

Oh are you going to use cable cam mode to control your descent. That way you can concentrate on manipulating the gimbal keeping your friend in shot, and not crashing.

I have never seen a jump off this bridge, so I don't know where to "stop" it. Also, can the drone drop 33'/sec outside of free-fall?

Not with cotrol straight down. You will enter vortex ring state where you enter your own down wash. That is why moving away while going down is the best idea. It gives you a larger perspective to help keep your friend in view. GPS mode won't let you descend that quickly. I am not the that good to use aerobatics mode. That would increase your descent but how good ate you in that mode.....

Sent from my SM-T700 using 3DRPilots Drone Forum mobile app

I've seen at best 10'/sec with just left stick full down (performance full rabbit) while adding some right stick motion (doesn't matter which direction) has gotten me close to 18'/sec descent.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela