Camera Image Off Center

Reaction score
So I was out flying this afternoon with my main focus being a footbridge that I have to shoot next month. I was filming with the GoPro Hero 4 Black set at 2.7K, medium angle. As I was filming close ups of the bridge, I noticed that to get the center of the bridge center shot, the Solo was way on the other side of the river. I kept flying back to me to inspect the camera. It seemed fine and the gimbal was holding in centered. What am I missing?
Also, every time I buzzed the bridge, on the tablet, I was looking directly down over the bridge but the quadcopter was already way passed the bridge.
Any solutions would be more than helpful. I would love to use the Solo in this upcoming shoot.
Thank you!

The first thing that comes to mind is optical illusion. Distance and elevation can play tricks on the perspective. Framing the shot per the video stream is a more accurate perspective.

Then there is latency of the video stream, but that shouldn't be extreme. If you were moving at a quick pace then sure, maybe extreme.

Do a flyby as you as the reference, like you were the bridge. This direct perspective will help confirm if either illusion, latency and/or mechanical alignment of the camera.

Thanks. I see what you are saying. However this is an area that I fly almost daily after work. I am on top of a parking deck looking down on the bridge from about 150 to 200 ft out. So I'm right there. The odd thing thinking about latency is, when I fly way past the bridge and get the bridge centered and stop, the video stops when the quadcopter stops. Like the camera is filming behind the quadcopter. This is Twilight Zone shit! Lol
It was perfectly fine last weekend. The only thing I have changed is I went from 4K wide to 2K medium.

60fps. It must be an illusion because when I flew back at me, I was centered. Most of the time, on close up shots, I have somebody else watching the quad. I guess I'm just finding out what it looks like. Lol
I'll do some tests in the house tonight.

Latency is likely the issue, the why is for others to answer. A similar thing happens when flying directly over head, bad antenna angles. I'd imagine a top down approach, like you described, could have similar issues.

I shoot 2.7k60, if it is happening to me I wouldn't know. I mainly watch the video stream to frame the shot. Ignorance is bliss...

Illusion wins! I went back to my parking deck this morning, lined the drone up, set my stuff in the truck and walked down to the bridge. The closer I got, the more over the river I was.
I have been a commercial pilot for 3 years now and depth always throws me. Any tricks to that?

Any tricks to that?
"Trust the force Luke" Practice, practice and practice....

Once I've visually surveyed an area for obstacles and what moves I plan to make. I really rely on the video stream to navigate, but always spot the bird in the process. I'm just a hobby pilot, so I'm the only eyes on the bird and surroundings.

When flying low on a lake or a flat field, as the bird gains more distance it appears to be losing altitude. Invariably I chicken out and gain altitude as the pucker factor sets in. I trust the machine, but my survival instincts takes over...

When I'm actually doing a job, I'm on the phone with a visual observer and never look up. I even use vr goggles from time to time. Sometimes my jobs are over 3000ft away from me. (Not using Solo on those) But depth perception always gets me flying los.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela