Somewhat off-topic as it relates to navigation lights, but similar and haven't seen much posted about it:

Not sure if it has been posted here before and hopefully this is not considered a hijack, but while reading this post it occurred to me that a cheap piece of insurance might be something like this: Flat Diode Flashing LED. You could get a couple and tape them to bottom and/or top of your Solo and turn it on before flights? If your bird crashes somewhere and you know the relative location you could go back with another FPV machine (a spare or a friend's perhaps) closer to dark for an aerial search? I know flying at night is not recommended but maybe near dusk the flashing could alert you to it's presence if not too much tree cover etc exists. I actually helped my Grandpa-in-law to find his lost cheap drone that got taken above a HUGE wheat field by sending up my Solo and flying 2 batteries worth of grids. Might even help with orientation in certain environments? What do you Godfathers think...I know this link above requires a purchase of 50+ units which just ain't going to happen for me, but maybe there is something better out there - or this idea is just stupid and I should move on ;)

Somewhat off-topic as it relates to navigation lights, but similar and haven't seen much posted about it:

Not sure if it has been posted here before and hopefully this is not considered a hijack, but while reading this post it occurred to me that a cheap piece of insurance might be something like this: Flat Diode Flashing LED. You could get a couple and tape them to bottom and/or top of your Solo and turn it on before flights? If your bird crashes somewhere and you know the relative location you could go back with another FPV machine (a spare or a friend's perhaps) closer to dark for an aerial search? I know flying at night is not recommended but maybe near dusk the flashing could alert you to it's presence if not too much tree cover etc exists. I actually helped my Grandpa-in-law to find his lost cheap drone that got taken above a HUGE wheat field by sending up my Solo and flying 2 batteries worth of grids. Might even help with orientation in certain environments? What do you Godfathers think...I know this link above requires a purchase of 50+ units which just ain't going to happen for me, but maybe there is something better out there - or this idea is just stupid and I should move on ;)
Well, Brite Lite isn't for finding a lost bird. Something better for that would be Marco Polo or a similar radio tracker that you can attach to Solo.

Your lighting system is really interesting and at a do-able price too, I'm definitely considering replacing my Polar Pros, which are just ok. I like that Marco Polo thing too, very cool; thanks for turning me on to it. I'm sure it works wonders as well, but, at approaching the same cost as an entire Solo setup now it's not nearly as attractive as something a little less involved and more DIY/wallet friendly. I was thinking a self adhesive, light weight, self-powered (perhaps by something like a CR-123) flashing LED beacon that you could turn on before every flight, that wouldn't interfere with GPS signal or controller interference that you you could just stick on to somewhere on the body or Solo battery? I'm positive something like that exists somewhere in the U.S., but where!?

Reactions: Maddog
Your lighting system is really interesting and at a do-able price too, I'm definitely considering replacing my Polar Pros, which are just ok. I like that Marco Polo thing too, very cool; thanks for turning me on to it. I'm sure it works wonders as well, but, at approaching the same cost as an entire Solo setup now it's not nearly as attractive as something a little less involved and more DIY/wallet friendly. I was thinking a self adhesive, light weight, self-powered (perhaps by something like a CR-123) flashing LED beacon that you could turn on before every flight, that wouldn't interfere with GPS signal or controller interference that you you could just stick on to somewhere on the body or Solo battery? I'm positive something like that exists somewhere in the U.S., but where!?
I agree about the price of Marco Polo, it was more attractive when we paid $1400 for Solo. It depends on its value to you. If it is only for recreation, then maybe Marco Polo isn't worth it. If you use Solo for a business, its more important.

I have seen several YouTube videos of people searching for lost drones using various radio trackers. In almost every case the drone landed in a place where it was not visible from even a few feet away. (Dense bushes, etc.) A low powered light would not have helped in the daytime. At night, who knows?

I have to agree with Maddog. Depending on a light to find a lost Solo could be hindered greatly by any number of things, such as brush, bushes, a layer of leaves, etc. I know the Marco Polo is a bit steep on price, but that is what I have on my first Solo. I did a field test with it where I had a friend go out into a river bottom and hide it. He went out about 1/2 mi. or so and then called me. I started searching, and about 15-20 min. later had located it. He had put it in a position as if it came down in some brush surrounded by trees and sand banks. I thought it worked great. I like that it uses infrared signals, rather than gps or cell towers. The battery life is fantastic. You would actually have quite a few days to search before having the battery run out. I am getting ready to buy a second Marco Polo tag to put on Solo #2. You can have up to 3 different tags assigned to the handheld locater. Anyway, that is just MHO on the Marco Polo.

Maddog, is there a way to interface the switching to control the lighting from the controller. I would like to be able to switch the strobe after take off and before landing so I don't destroy my night vision when flying a SAR mission. Well thought out design by the way.

Your lighting system is really interesting and at a do-able price too, I'm definitely considering replacing my Polar Pros, which are just ok. I like that Marco Polo thing too, very cool; thanks for turning me on to it. I'm sure it works wonders as well, but, at approaching the same cost as an entire Solo setup now it's not nearly as attractive as something a little less involved and more DIY/wallet friendly.
I have both.

I installed a set of Maddog's Brite Lights yesterday and made a flight with them in broad daylight. Most impressive! Maddog did an excellent job and it takes mere minutes to install. I took the option where I could hook up my Polar Pro lights but after seeing how visible these Brite Lights are I decided that was unnecessary. I highly recommend getting a set. Plus there is an added "cool" factor.

I bought a Marco Polo set back when I got my first Phantom 2. Granted if your only protecting a $300 investment the cost ratio of Marco Polo to your machine is high. It was lower at the time as I was protecting a near $1000 bird plus a $400 GoPro. Over time it dropped further due to a growing fleet and the blessings of Velcro.

The only time I ever had to use the Macro Polo was when the tag fell out of my pocket. The system works great and I was able to quickly and precisely locate the tag.

Prior to getting the Marco Polo I used to strap the "Tagg" unit taken from my dog's collar to the bottom of a Phantom. Never had to actually use it but it might have worked. Plus it was fun tracking it on my cellular enabled iPad.

Maddog, is there a way to interface the switching to control the lighting from the controller. I would like to be able to switch the strobe after take off and before landing so I don't destroy my night vision when flying a SAR mission. Well thought out design by the way.
Thanks Steve. Im sure there is but I don't know how. I know people have connected servos to Solo for various things.
Here is an excerpt from the Solex documentation which might provide a solution but its way over my head. Maybe someone can "interpret"?
Solex excerpt.jpg

Thanks for that as I was about to Google it. I take it you guys are ex or current military? I'm a civilian but I do work on the finest helicopter on this planet. :) (Blackhawk)

Meeee?

Nooooo..!

I just speak funny coz I'm from England lol.

We have quite a different way of talking here in the UK.

I wasn't aware you guys (from your side of the pond) didn't understand.

I will google the American translation before I post next time. Lol

An a serious note, "HeliMed" is a Helicopter Medic. Makes perfect sense really. (If I had of translated lol)

Wow on the Blackhawk, I think my solo is the closest I will ever get to one of those.

Well it is black and it's a kind of helicopterish lol

Question though..?

Do you guys have the word "ish"?

We add it to anything. It's a strange word when you think about it. Especially when you can give an answer and then add ish to the end of it and the answer you gave means absolutely nothing at all. Lol

I'll grab my coat on the way out. Lol.

(Sorry "I'll grab my coat on the way out" means on that note I think I should go/leave lol)

Reactions: Chuck
We do indeed use the suffix "ish" over here. I don't do anything glamorous on the Blackhawks. I ultrasonically inspect the blades.

Reactions: speatuk
They are $90 ea. + $5 shipping anywhere in CONUS.
I can fit up to 3 in one box so shipping would still be $5 for all.

You can PayPal me at: [email protected].
Please include your name and shipping address. PayPal does not always give me the address you have on file with them.o_O
One of my Solos will have your lighting system. Very useful for certain operations, and not just at dawn or dusk. "Red Right Returning (or rather: incoming toward me... )"... nice!

Do you suspect that there will be modifications to these lights that will allow them to be controlled by Solex? Is that in the pipeline or even a possibility? Because that would make them absolutely killer!

Do you suspect that there will be modifications to these lights that will allow them to be controlled by Solex? Is that in the pipeline or even a possibility? Because that would make them absolutely killer!
That has been mentioned before. (See post 129)
I think it's possible but Kelly seems to have a lot on his plate right now so I haven't specifically asked him about it.

It's going to take somebody a lot smarter than me to figure it out. Like @Pedals2Paddles.

Reactions: speatuk
That has been mentioned before. (See post 129)
I think it's possible but Kelly seems to have a lot on his plate right now so I haven't specifically asked him about it.

It's going to take somebody a lot smarter than me to figure it out. Like @Pedals2Paddles.

I definitely read this whole thread, it's very interesting and I just thought I'd be the second mention of it in order to drum up more interest. Perhaps @human might be helpful in this also.

Either way when I get to the point that I'm getting paid for my flights I'll be all over this upgrade, it looks sweet.

One of my Solos will have your lighting system. Very useful for certain operations, and not just at dawn or dusk. "Red Right Returning (or rather: incoming toward me... )"... nice!

I have purchased and installed Brite Lites by Maddog. Product and instructions were flawless. My Solo's new lights were easily visible from at least 150' in the air, and against a bright sky background. This is an extra step toward safER flight (I find it difficult to say "safe" about anything involving flying machines). From time to time people appear in the areas that I operate. The sound of the props, plus these lights, increases the likelihood that they will avoid coming too close to, or under my Solo.

I have purchased and installed Brite Lites by Maddog. Product and instructions were flawless. My Solo's new lights were easily visible from at least 150' in the air, and against a bright sky background. This is an extra step toward safER flight (I find it difficult to say "safe" about anything involving flying machines). From time to time people appear in the areas that I operate. The sound of the props, plus these lights, increases the likelihood that they will avoid coming too close to, or under my Solo.
Thanks John- glad it's working out for you!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
frank2000