Boat Mode

That's a fair point, boat was being coded before EK2 originally, I think as time went on the discussions that I saw, like you said suggested it would be linked to EK2 as it makes it easier to implement.

It's not an issue of resources with testing, good testing takes time, I wouldn't want EKF2 on my Solo without plenty of testing, weeks would never suffice. It was EKF code being used instead of simpler APM legacy pre-arm checks that caused the problems in Solo's first firmware.

My issue is, the feature has been coded and will come, not one e-mail to support will make it a day quicker as the speed is down to the correct processes being followed, raising support tickets just slows them dealing with the job they're actually tasked to do.
Oh that's a good point. Absolutely couldn't agree more. Now that it's been announced there is no point clogging up the support queue with requests.

Reactions: Ian [P13]
I thought we saw an announcement last year too, so I hope this one is real. :)

Last time boat was announced it was pulled as it was realised there was a serious problem with the logic so no doubt there would have been crashes had it gone live. It's a complex piece of functionality to get right so that's where testing comes in.

Last time boat was announced it was pulled as it was realised there was a serious problem with the logic so no doubt there would have been crashes had it gone live. It's a complex piece of functionality to get right so that's where testing comes in.
I'm hoping the difference this time is that Chris Anderson said it himself and was specific about next automatic update.

Yeah last time it was just another feature amongst a release, already the boat code has been in the Arducopter beta for a while so you'd imagine it's only the matter of testing passing this time around.

it would make sense but I have not seen it mentioned
RTM has a lot more applications than boat mode for me. Its the main reason I have not done some auto follow me shots that I want to do.

it would make sense but I have not seen it mentioned
RTM has a lot more applications than boat mode for me. Its the main reason I have not done some auto follow me shots that I want to do.
You know RTM is in Tower, right?

In what I do you have to think sideways - instead of looking at the aircraft why not look at what it is on. A gimbal mounted table could provide the stable and level surface needed unless you are in such a sea where there is a lot of lateral or vertical acceleration as well as ....just a thought from a newbie.

A table doesn't stop the boat from drifting in a current or from the wind.

I disagree. Dynamic Home Point is just one piece of functionality, and of secondary importance.

The important piece of functionality is the ability of the copter to arm and take off when the boat is rocking back and forth. Even if you are anchored and the waters are fairly calm, there is almost always so much movement that the IMUs/gyros can't get a fix for level (the copter can't pass pre-arm checks). Small boats will rock and sway just from a person moving around on the boat.

The dynamic home point feature is nice, but your are going to be on the sticks to land anyway. Frankly, I disable all the RTL (aka RTH) failsafes anyway - same for the geofence. Experience on both DJI and Arducopter platforms has taught me they cause more problems and crashes than they are worth. Its much safer to be an alert and focused human pilot than to rely upon those features - but thats a discussion for another thread.

It shouldn't be a mode at all. And definitely not "boat mode". My ocd wouldn't let me use it if I'm on a tractor( yeah I fly my drone while I'm planting spuds) or on a car. It should just be a button to bypass the imu calibrations. And for people who are in a park walking around using the dynamic home point feature, which I think should be on all the time, why should they have to switch into "boat mode"?
Just my OCD speaking.
The one thing they should have incorporated into the controller is GPS. Big flaw I think. I think DJI did it if I'm not mistaken. Then no one would need an LTE connection.

Last edited:
Boat mode will be delayed, maybe 4 weeks after the next software release as the EKF 2 introduced drifting into the Solo's normal flight. So it's being fixed based on logs that have been submitted.

good news bad news I guess
Was hoping they would make that rebase goal, but could really use some fixes for the bugs that are currently in the app, android version anyway

Boat mode... Boat mode ...Boat mode... Boat mode ..Boat mode... Boat mode ..Boat mode... Boat mode ..Boat mode... Boat mode ...

Everyone chant. .....

Boat mode... Boat mode ...Boat mode... Boat mode ..Boat mode... Boat mode ..Boat mode... Boat mode ...

It will be ready just as the boating season winds down to an end ;)
Boating season is just starting here..

I was hoping there was a chance it would be ready in time, but it seems not yet.

Boating season is starting here too but last no longer than three months over by Boston so hopefully soon

I'm on "the lake" up in NH, so we are not that far apart.

What type/size boat do you have?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
No idea