Best tablet for controller?

Reaction score
One thing I don't have, (besides the gimbal and the drone itself yet!) is a 8"tablet for the controller, am looking at a apple mini 3 only for the resolution though I would rather not as all of my mobile is Android, and ideas on bright viewing in the daylight with good tablet?
Thanks, Terry.

there are screen protectors that can reduce glare. and as far as android tablets i recommend the samsung galaxy tab s 8.4, nvidia shield or google nexus. at the moment, the are listed as incompatible but it is a configuration issue and will be resolved shortly.

Reactions: weaz1
One thing I don't have, (besides the gimbal and the drone itself yet!) is a 8"tablet for the controller, am looking at a apple mini 3 only for the resolution though I would rather not as all of my mobile is Android, and ideas on bright viewing in the daylight with good tablet?
Thanks, Terry.

If I were getting a tab specifically for the Solo, I would put brightness over resolution. Even with a shield I'll be flying in the desert sun so having a retina screen won't help much. I'm hoping that my Note 10.1 will play nice once I figure out how to mount it to the controller. I'd love to have a big screen vs my phone.

I am planning on using an iPad mini 2 (cellular).

Whilst flying should I have the cellular connection enabled or disabled? Does it cause interference to the wifi?

Cell should not cause interference. I would run the cell personally so my maps update without caching. Assume that the Solo app does that. Should.

Reactions: Dirby
Does anyone know why my video reception with a new Phantom 3 is so poor. Not in terms of resolution but it is jumpy and lags behind the camera, makes if very difficult to fly smoothly by watching the monitor, it is a delayed jumpy image. Tried both the Samsung Galaxy S5 Cell and Samsung Galaxy Tab4 monitors. Thanks.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Suggest you watch the above video, especially starting around 11 minutes

Bren, Are you saying the controller will hold a ten inch tablet or hoping a mod will be forth coming to hold one?

Reactions: GoodnNuff
Bren, Are you saying the controller will hold a ten inch tablet or hoping a mod will be forth coming to hold one?

I doubt the stock controller will fit a 10 inch tablet. The largest device 3dr has referred to has been a mini tablet.

I think if I epoxy a mini tablet sized block onto the back of a 10 inch tablet protector, I should be able to mount it with the tablet onto the stock controller easily.

Nexus 9 should fit just fine.

It is about the largest that will fit though and has been reported as making the controller feel a bit on the heavy side, but it will fit.

On the Solo IOS app this is the compatible Apple units:
Compatibility: Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPad Air, iPad Air Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 2, iPad mini 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Air 2, iPad Air 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 3, and iPad mini 3 Wi-Fi + Cellular. This app is optimized for iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, and iPhone 6 Plus

They are also working on adding iPhone 5 and the original iPad Mini to that list.

Also worth reminding people that iPads without cellular capability don't have GPS either ...

Greets guys nice solo community

Well got a question for you ...
Does the Solo controller device mobile holder can hold a ipad full size 9.4 inches ?
The holder seems to be built for mobile or ipad mini but if you loose the nut you can
remove the holder and maybe fit a 10in tablet holder

This is a view of the holder
sayval9yw1ftwzmpks85.jpg

I found this Ipad holder wondering if i can make it fit
51qIWwipxfL._SL1000_.jpg

Reactions: GoodnNuff
This is a view of the holder
sayval9yw1ftwzmpks85.jpg

I found this Ipad holder wondering if i can make it fit

If I had to guess I would say that the ball swivel size is the standard size found on almost all tablet and phone mounts. For example, I bought the Satechi ST-TP01 car holder mount and was able to use that with the ball/arm on my Phantom 2 Vision + controller.

I removed the arm and base from the Satechi unit and slipped the threaded collar over the ball/arm on the controller and attached the Satechi unit. The Satechi can hold up to 10" tablets. I use it with my Nexus 7.

As far as tablets go, no matter how bright you set the tablet you're going to have problems in any bright sunlight whether it's direct or indirect. I built a cardboard hood and spray painted it flat black and that does an OK job. But I have a new idea that I'm going to try this summer.

I fly in some tight spots and it's a pain to look down at the tablet to try and frame shots and keep LOS. So this summer I'm going to build a deep hooded mount so I can put the unit on a camera tripod. This way I can keep the tablet close to eye level (sitting or standing) and have it set deep enough in the housing to block out the sun from almost any angle.

I'm still working on a design. The key for me is that it has to fold up or be easy to assemble and take apart so it can be transported.

Thanks for all the input, I do enjoy this forum, getting prepped for a new drone is great, enjoy the anticipation. (long as it does not "drone" on to long) without the product! Now thinking instead of a new 8"tablet I'll use my One Plus One along with a set of Headplay HD googles, has anyone seen the reviews on these things, or better yet used them? They look like a perfect solution for getting that outrageous shot though I realize not much help for flight planing. I will wait to mod the holder to use my 10"tablet and use the monies I would have spent on a new tablet for the googles I'm a thinkin!

The Nvidia Shield tablet has been highly recommended by many with I1's regarding graphics and outdoor use. I don't remember if this model is on the approved list or not, but there's a thread here to download the .apk for side-loading.

I doubt the stock controller will fit a 10 inch tablet. The largest device 3dr has referred to has been a mini tablet.

I think if I epoxy a mini tablet sized block onto the back of a 10 inch tablet protector, I should be able to mount it with the tablet onto the stock controller easily.
In their early advertisement material the alluded to the unit being compatible with the I Pad so being naive as a first time pilot I ordered the new 128 Gig I Pad only to realize when it finally arrived that it would not even come close to fitting , I then purchased the 128 Gig Mini for use on the control unit and would be very pleased if the badly designed clip and gimbal possessed more
integrity . My Mini has come free and fallen twice now as the clip lacks the necessary curvature . with regard to the Gimbal it must be checked frequently to maintain a proper purchase on the Ball Mount .These are the only things I have found fault with thus far , all else has worked as advertised for me !

In their early advertisement material the alluded to the unit being compatible with the I Pad so being naive as a first time pilot I ordered the new 128 Gig I Pad only to realize when it finally arrived that it would not even come close to fitting , I then purchased the 128 Gig Mini for use on the control unit and would be very pleased if the badly designed clip and gimbal possessed more
integrity . My Mini has come free and fallen twice now as the clip lacks the necessary curvature . with regard to the Gimbal it must be checked frequently to maintain a proper purchase on the Ball Mount .These are the only things I have found fault with thus far , all else has worked as advertised for me !
It fits the Nexus 9. Barely...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pvt solo