Beautiful Gimbal Video - Orbit & Follow Me w/Orbit

Reaction score
Got my gimbal over the weekend. Flew three flawless batteries today. The difference is AMAZING and the gimbal is everything I had hoped for. The first couple of minutes of this video are from my final "non-gimbal" flight last week, followed by the remarkable transformation to stabilized footage. The Follow Me with Orbit mode is wild, with fully autonomous circling overhead as we walked around making periodic manual altitude and radius adjustments. Loving it.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

This footage was shot using the following gear and settings:
3DR Solo
3DR 3-axis gimbal (except for the first 2 minutes or so)
Balanced props
GoPro Hero 4 Silver
1080P / 60 FPS / Medium
BlurFix Air ND8 Filter (2 U.S. nickels as counterweights - 1 side & 1 rear)
Marco Polo recovery system
Processed in Final Cut Pro X on a 15" MacBook Pro

Last edited:
I had no idea that you could combine Smart Shots. How exactly did you do that? Do you set it on Follow Me, then navigate over to the Orbit and just run that?

Yeah me too how he can setup those functionality very impressive

I haven't used it yet, but I believe it was added on the last update or 2. It's part of the options in the Follow Me mode along with 'Watch Me'. You should see a Circle option. (Don't have the controller with me for specific wording used).

I used the Gimbal for the first time in the video here -> youtube]6q0oVwy21B8
Need more practice but this was good

I had no idea that you could combine Smart Shots. How exactly did you do that? Do you set it on Follow Me, then navigate over to the Orbit and just run that?
This is done by activating Follow Me, and then pressing the Orbit Left or Orbit Right button at the bottom of the screen. I followed Colin's excellent instructions at 3:55 in this video:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

It was really simple, and worked exactly as he demonstrated. As I mentioned, I just got the gimbal, and was surprised how easy it was to set this shot up on my first try.

Off topic, I do have to give a big shout out to 3DR support. When I had an issue with the gimbal installation (pitching 45 degrees down and staying there), they replied to my e-mail within 15 minutes with simple instructions that worked immediately. Very happy Solo owner here. The long wait was worth it in the end.

Reactions: Acroduster

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc