Autopilot Firmware Upgrade from 1.3.1 to 1.5.3

when updating firmware ....I noticed there is a /firmware & /firmware/loaded folder in Solo

Right now, I have Arducopter-1.3.1.px4 sitting in the /firmware/loaded....Do I have to create a folder called /firmware/previous versions and move the 1.3.1 file into there before copying 1.5.2.px4 file into the /firmware/loaded folder ........

Or does WinSCP or Solo handle this process automatically for me.....

Thank you

when updating firmware ....I noticed there is a /firmware & /firmware/loaded folder in Solo

Right now, I have Arducopter-1.3.1.px4 sitting in the /firmware/loaded....Do I have to create a folder called /firmware/previous versions and move the 1.3.1 file into there before copying 1.5.2.px4 file into the /firmware/loaded folder ........

Or does WinSCP or Solo handle this process automatically for me.....

Thank you

No. After you put the new firmware in directory /firmware, it automatically gets picked up and loaded after a Solo restart. In addition, the newly loaded firmware is put in directory /firmware/loaded.

Carpy....Understood...thank you.....do I need to move 1.3.1 out of the loaded folder first....or does that get moved auto to a different folder

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Carpy....Understood...thank you.....do I need to move 1.3.1 out of the loaded folder first....or does that get moved auto to a different folder

No! A forum user tried that and it nearly bricked his copter. Both files remain in loaded for the time being. It works just fine that way.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Reactions: carpy

No, it just sits there in /firmware/loaded for historical purposes.

I am really over thinking this....how can you have 2 different versions in the loaded folder....the 1.3.1 must go somewhere.....either moved out automatically or manual.....say to a previous versions folder let's say

I am really over thinking this....how can you have 2 different versions in the loaded folder....the 1.3.1 must go somewhere.....either moved out automatically or manual.....say to a previous versions folder let's say

You can and will if the firmware's file names are different. That's why a couple of guys on here suggested you rename the new firmware differently so that you can tell the difference/history in /firmware/loaded.

This is not a problem with the 1.3.1 firmware because it's name is/was different than the new firmware. However, if you put 1.5.2 on and then you put 1.5.3 on, you should rename 1.5.3 on your PC because it is the same name as 1.5.2.

Last edited:

Timestamps. The firmware header has one

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

I'm a bit of a newbie and just got my solo.
Only 4 flights so far due to terrible weather.
I'm guessing I *should* do this firmware update and that it's a good thing.

I am VERY comfortable with how the wireless networking AP and clients work with Solo and very familiar with the operating system involved SSH SCP SFTP & all that.

Is updating the firmware on the Solo "supported" any warranty issues?

Duh....forgot about that in the world of programming...makes sense....lol....

Still probably a good idea to have only version in the loaded folder...just my thoughts........

So it is all base on timestamps.....whatever is the last one loaded....which will have the most recent timestamp takes precedence over all others.....I could have 20 versions with different filenames in the loaded folder.....but last one loaded wins......got it and thanks for explanations .....much appreciated for us semi-geeks

I'm a bit of a newbie and just got my solo.
Only 4 flights so far due to terrible weather.
I'm guessing I *should* do this firmware update and that it's a good thing.

I am VERY comfortable with how the wireless networking AP and clients work with Solo and very familiar with the operating system involved SSH SCP SFTP & all that.

Is updating the firmware on the Solo "supported" any warranty issues?

I spoke to 3DR Support a while back regarding the firmware upgrade. They said it does not void your warranty.

So it is all base on timestamps.....whatever is the last one loaded....which will have the most recent timestamp takes precedence over all others.....I could have 20 versions with different filenames in the loaded folder.....but last one loaded wins......got it and thanks for explanations .....much appreciated for us semi-geeks

Actually time stamps yes, but really it's the version and Git hash. If you are curious, take a look at the file sitting in root (/) called PIX_VERSION. It contains the version of the firmware and the Git commit of the firmware.

The auto email rarely works right. Their system sucks. Use the chat function on their support website to get in touch with them directly. Tell them you submitted a ticket via the app and got no response. They'll look for it and get the ball rolling faster. I highly suggest you do not tell them about installing 1.5.2. I'm confident it had nothing to do with a hardware IMU failure, but don't give them any excuses. They may balk at the fact that you already replaced the pixhawk yourself though. I suspect they do not have spare pixhawks lying around to send you as a replacement. They might say "congrats, you fixed it yourself, bye"
P2P - just a remark that 3DR did send me a new Pixhawk when I opened up a ticket with them concerning inaccurate height Solo App showed on landing. Bottomline 3DR have some spare Pixhawks at hand.

I have my RTL speed parameter set rather high. I forget the value, but it amounts to about 28mph. The way I see it, if that failsafe has engaged, I want it home immeidately. There is no reason to dilly dally, and the amount of power required to go that fast is negligibly more. I also lowered the RTL hover time from 5 seconds to 1 second. And increased the climb/descent rates.

P2P,

What figures did you use for the hover time and climb/descent rates or I guess the question is what figures did you enter to Tower?

Great tread!
As far as I could understand the fw update will flash the Pixhawk only.
As I have a spare Pixhawk (with a misreading barometer), I could use it as a guinea pig and have one Pixhawk with 1.3.1 and one Pixhawk with 1.5.3. Apart from having to disassemble the whole Solo (and then assemble it again), probably reset/recalibrate it, do I have to take anything else in consideration when changing the Pixhawk on Solo?
Any feedback appreciated!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andre felipe colorado