Autopilot Firmware Upgrade from 1.3.1 to 1.5.3

I have no seen any reason it would be considered unsafe. And it isn't fundamentally changing the way the solo works. The green cube is really a totally different topic, not to be compared. The green cube is experimental, and not for the inexperienced faint of heart.

P2P,

Thanks for the info. This is why I come to this forum. Guess I'll update to 1.5.2 and keep a lookout on how the Green Cube goes and then seen what all the hub bub is about. Thanks again.

Note: Do not program a mission to go 40mph into a stiff headwind. I wanted to test what I thought was a new feature in this firmware. I believed it would prioritize altitude and reduce speed to maintain altitude. It did not. This also shows how much work that gimbal does!

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Really nice looking flight too!!
Funny audio edit.

LOL. I didn't. I added them from my old MS Flight Simulator files while editing the video. Not heard on the video, is me running across the field yelling *@&#$*(@ PULL UP!! PULL UP!! ()&$*(@&
PMSL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hopefully someone might know why after I upgraded and solo completes level calibration the gimble goes all crazy and starts nodding from top right to bottom left

Reactions: AJdaBombsauce
There is no good or normal reason for that to happen. You have the camera in the gimbal, right?

As a newbie, so with regards to firmware release 1.5.2 or 1.5.3..........when does 3Dr officially roll this out to the consumer........????

Or is it left up to the user community to find out & update their own Solo's thru WinSCP or other means ???

Just curious......

You should ask 3DR that question, followed by a comment about all the bug fixes in 1.5.2/3 that may effect safety of flight that have not been made available to the vast majority of Solo owners.

Reactions: dmyhill
I don't think it's related to 1.5.2 upgrade. I flew two batteries after upgrade no problems at all. When I put the third battery in it said that it couldn't calibrate, service required. Rebooted everything, same would not calibrate, service required. Submitted the ticket thru the Solo app. Didn't get any confirmation email. Did factory reset, paired the solo to the controller did the updates same issue it will not arm says calibration required but after multiple attempts the calibration failed, service required. So submitted another request using Solo app, still no confirmation email. That was on Saturday.
Do we still get 3DR support or are we on our own if stuff is not working?
So on Sunday I replaced the pixhawk cube with a spare one I had, then did the upgrades to 1.5.2 and then flew four batteries w/o any problems.
How do I get 3DR to replace the Pixhawk cube I only had Solo for a few months.
Any advice?
Thanks.

The auto email rarely works right. Their system sucks. Use the chat function on their support website to get in touch with them directly. Tell them you submitted a ticket via the app and got no response. They'll look for it and get the ball rolling faster. I highly suggest you do not tell them about installing 1.5.2. I'm confident it had nothing to do with a hardware IMU failure, but don't give them any excuses. They may balk at the fact that you already replaced the pixhawk yourself though. I suspect they do not have spare pixhawks lying around to send you as a replacement. They might say "congrats, you fixed it yourself, bye"

P2p,

Hoping you could answer....

Reposting this statement.....

As a newbie, so with regards to firmware release 1.5.2 or 1.5.3..........when does 3Dr officially roll this out to the consumer........????

Or is it left up to the user community to find out & update their own Solo's thru WinSCP or other means ???

Just curious......

P2p,

Hoping you could answer....

Reposting this statement.....

Just curious......

We are on our own.

3DR is no longer providing products or updates to consumer users. So they are not packaging these Pixhawk firmware updates into a push through the app for us. Site Scan users are probably getting these things pushed to them on a regular basis for now, but not us. Consumer users like us putting these updates on our Solo's are doing so on our own.

Thanks for the reply....one can always update to 1.5.3 from 1.3.1 thru WinSCP easily.....

Question ...can one go back to 1.3.1 once one updates to 1.5.3

I guess one can if you just save the 1.3.1 firmware file to one's PC....am I understanding this correctly ????

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

P2P,

Thank you much appreciated on the answers.

I pretty much understand the update process from post #1 in this thread & read your take on this update in thread #2 & thank you for your insight....

So on github.com it shows....for the latest release

Downloads
Also, one can click on the big blue numbers that say solo -1.5.3 or just to the left of it says

solo-1.5.3
-o-05a123b

Can one explain what these links are for.........in particular

SOLO - 1.5.3 ??????
solo- 1.5.3 ???????
-o-05a123b This appears to be what they changed in the source code.

Last edited:
...They may balk at the fact that you already replaced the pixhawk yourself though. I suspect they do not have spare pixhawks lying around to send you as a replacement. They might say "congrats, you fixed it yourself, bye"
Others on here have tried to get internal replacement parts from 3DR with very little success. Think about it... many consumers may (and many more, likely will) do more harm than good inside. 3DR just has no way to judge the competency of the user - and then that becomes a liabilty risk.

I remember one poster didn't own a screwdriver. Of course, if your gimbal wasn't pre-installed, you should now own one, anyway!

P2P,

Thank you much appreciated on the answers.

I pretty much understand the update process from post #1 in this thread & read your take on this update in thread #2 & thank you for your insight....

So on github.com it shows....for the latest release

Downloads
Also, one can click on the big blue numbers that say solo -1.5.3 or just to the left of it says

solo-1.5.3
-o-05a123b

Can one explain what these links are for.........in particular

SOLO - 1.5.3 ??????
solo- 1.5.3 ???????
-o-05a123b This appears to be what they changed in the source code.
Yes, the px4 file is the one you want. Clicking on the blue heading with the version # just takes you to the same files on it's own page. Here is a tip though that helps.. After you have DL'd the file, rename it to the version; ie: Arducopter-v2.px4 rename to Arducopter v1.5.3.px4. That helps to ID it later as they are all named the same. You still put it in the firmware folder as usual and the new names will work fine. The Solo is only looking for a .px4 file, and the full name before the extender is irrelevant. Renaming will also help you in that after Solo does the upgrade, it moves it to a folder with previous FW upgrades. You can have new ones and old ones stored in this folder. Then if you ever want to change back, just move the version you want back up one directory to the firmware folder.

Reactions: carpy and SARDG

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andre felipe colorado